PDA

View Full Version : DIS Brake Fluid Warning with ABS warning light

radar1022
02-04-2007, 03:22 PM
Hi All,
I originally posted this on the A6 forum but believe I may get some help here.
I have an 1999 AUDI A6 1.8T. The DIS bleeps 3 times and the Brake fluid warning flashes (Like a Beacon and driving me nuts!!) with the ABS light on. Sometimes it re-sets itself and everything seems ok. This is now more and more frequent and taking longer to re-set. When it does re-set there is a quiet yet audible noise and a slight feeling under the brake pedal?? I have been led to believe this could be a failing ABS sensor?? If this is the case is it going to be mega expensive to repair? I have checked the brake fluid and it is topped up to the max.
I hope you can help as this A6 is staring at the second hand car lot in the face.:zx11:

Many Thanks for looking at this

Regards Steve

Andyn
03-04-2007, 10:39 AM
Hi Steve,

I have fairly limited knowledge of a similar problem which happened to my a4 avant.

When the ABS warning light is on - the ABS is not functional - i.e. you have no ABS (and no noise or clunking from pedal) - when the light goes back off again - your ABS is working again (but incorrectly) - the feeling and noise you are getting through the pedals is in fact the ABS kicking in! The ABS sensor is showing one wheel turning slower than the rest and thinking its locking up.

My garage done a great job in narrowing this down and getting it sorted - my car is a 1999 with 150k on the clock and I had just bought it, the last thing I wanted was a huge bill - they stripped down the brakes, found a problem - a faulty ABS sensor which they replaced, this did not fix the problem so they replaced the brake disks and ABS rings (which is what the sensor reads as wheel is turning) on both rear wheels and car is now working great.

My mechanic told me exactly what the cost price was of each part and how much time he spent - all in the bill was around £250 - the sensor cost about £60, the disks etc cost around £25 each with the rings around £11 and the rest was labour.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Andy

radar1022
03-04-2007, 10:42 AM
Cheers Andy,
I hope I can find a garage down here in Plymouth as good as yours up there in Paisley.

Steve