PDA

View Full Version : Passat Boot Lock doesn`t Lock

Graeme H
14-01-2006, 01:02 PM
Hi Folks, What a fantastic Forum ! I `ve had my `01 Passat TDI 130 since June and love it. However the boot lock doesn`t stay locked it stays closed thanks to the struts but unlocks itself at random. Although I have noticed it happens more when the lights or ignition are switched off. :1zhelp:
Thanks again for your help.

Sam
16-01-2006, 11:54 AM
Sounds as though you have a faulty boot microswitch. Unless you feel otherwise, the following is how to replace it - part number is (or was) 8D5 959 489

Take off the trunk liner with a Phillips head screwdriver or use a power drill if you have one. Take out all the felt covered screws (13 in all). The liner will hang from the grip handles sitting in their holes. Just lift up on the liner and it will come off.

Now look at the mechanism and notice the rod going from the lever to the ball joint. Just bend the little white clip off the rod and slide it to the side. The rod will fall out of the hole and hang there by the ball joint. There is no need to remove the other side.

Unscrew the 2 bolts that hold the locking mechanism and let it hang. You will see the 2 little notches that hold in the switch. Just lift up on the black cover and it will uncover the switch. You don't need to squeeze the notches.

Be careful. *There are 2 washers under the black cover that may fall out* They go under the black plastic in between the metal and plastic where the bolts go in.

Now tilt the switch up and pull it out.

Getting the plug out is a matter of lifting one side while trying to lift the other. It was probably the hardest part and not too hard at that. I just lifted one side and held it while using my nail to pry up the other side. It's a touch and go process.

Unhook the old switch and hook up the new one. Place switch back in the lock and cover the tabs with the black plastic *make sure the washers are there*

Everything seems clean and functioning well, but if you feel like oiling something, now is the time to do it

Now bolt in the lock and test everything.

Put on the trunk liner and you're done

Now my trunk light works (didn't before), my trunk open indicator works (didn't before) and it doesn't "meep" (did before) when the trunk is open because it thought it was shut.

PROBLEM SOLVED

There is another how-to here linkage (http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187861)
Hope this helps

Sam

Graeme H
19-01-2006, 11:40 PM
Thanks for the info I`ve printed it off, spoken to my main dealer and they have it in stock. This is a job for saturday night. Apparently according to our local VW man they do have a tendency to go wrong. Will let you know how I get on:approve:

Sam
20-01-2006, 09:30 AM
Good luck, I hear a beer makes the job go smoother

Graeme H
23-01-2006, 10:25 PM
Oh well its not the microswitch. I replaced the old one which was quite corroded at the connection but the problem still persists. I even disconnected it and the motor still moved. Any ideas? Thanks for your help so far tho. :confused:

Sam
24-01-2006, 11:59 AM
When you had the boot apart did you notice if there was still a return spring on the latch mechanism?

Mine broke after the boot kept getting slammed (by people who have never had a German car!).

Graeme H
26-01-2006, 11:24 PM
I hate to sound thick but if it`s bright brass coloured yes its still there and does work. with the boot open I can lock it using something round and it stays locked until I turn the lights off.

Sam
27-01-2006, 09:25 AM
Right, so you switch the lights off, and the boot unlocks?!

Maybe you have a ground problem somewhere along the line.

If you bought it in June, I presume you have a years warranty - if it covers this sort of stuff, I'd hand this one over to the dealership!

Sorry I couldn't help more, maybe someone else will chip in.

Graeme H
28-01-2006, 09:00 PM
Unfortunatly it was only a three months warranty due to the age of the car but now it doesn`t seem to be happening! Or at least not in the last 3-4 days.The car is going in for a service soon and i`ll mention it to the mechanic. Will let you know thanks again and if anyone else out there has an answer meantime let me know.

28/03/06
Car serviced by non franchise okay but after a poke about in the boot and lock they advised me to go to an auto electrician but seemed to think it was an earthing problem. Once again it seems to please itself if it plays up or not.

parthasd
10-03-2006, 11:34 AM
Hi,

I am new to the forum. I have a 02/52 Passat 130 TDIPD from new.

Similar problem started last week. The boot started opening everytime the car was hitting a pothole. The problem is now getting worse. The boot unlocks when all four doors are unlocked. I have noticed that it stays locked when only the driver door is unlocked.:confused:

So when I have got passengers, I have to put them into the car, shut the boot, activate the central lock then unlock only the driver door to get in and drive off.:mad:

I would be grateful if anybody has any idea about what’s going on. Should I buy a VAG cable to diagnose the fault or must it go to the dealer?

Many thanks….

Partha