PDA

View Full Version : Off Set Pedals

tomr1979
30-05-2009, 01:31 PM
Hi all new to forum

Recently took a A4 Avant 143 TDI SE for a test drive and loved it all apart from the offset pedals and narrow footwell

would like to know if people have found this a problem once they have got used to the car, I do around 35-40 K a year and need a car that is comfortable. After driving the car for 3-4 hours i could feel my right hip aching a bit. I am 6ft 2 and had the seat pretty much right back.

I currently have a skoda octavia which is a good car, but doesnt have the feel good factor and style of the new A4. I am wooried if i plump for the Audi i am going to be stuck with a sore hip for 4 years!

Red 2
30-05-2009, 03:57 PM
Having an early car and not having seen a RHD at time of order, I was quite surprised at the lump in the footwell, partic after I'd seen the LHD version with much more space.

However, I'm 6 ft and have adjusted to the offset without too much difficulty and my wife is also ok driving it.

BUT IMPO, to use the old maxim, if in doubt, don't. My wife once had a Peugeot with offset pedals and she developed severe back pain after 6 months and we had to get rid of it.

Someone in Ingolstadt must have had an 'oh s**t' moment when they realised there was a problem too late for any engineering soluition to be economically found.

ScottyUK
30-05-2009, 04:08 PM
I also noticed it on the test drive but simply don't notice when driving now.

jon_iz
30-05-2009, 06:56 PM
Having an early car and not having seen a RHD at time of order, I was quite surprised at the lump in the footwell, partic after I'd seen the LHD version with much more space.

However, I'm 6 ft and have adjusted to the offset without too much difficulty and my wife is also ok driving it.

BUT IMPO, to use the old maxim, if in doubt, don't. My wife once had a Peugeot with offset pedals and she developed severe back pain after 6 months and we had to get rid of it.

Someone in Ingolstadt must have had an 'oh s**t' moment when they realised there was a problem too late for any engineering soluition to be economically found.

Good God!! Are my pedals offset??
I hadn't noticed.. I'll go and have a look!:D

Seriously, you don't notice it...

AZO1
30-05-2009, 08:41 PM
Agreed. Haven't found this to be a problem, despite the motoring press making somewhat of a big deal of it.

Two Audi family
30-05-2009, 08:45 PM
I took delivery of my new baby just over a week ago and today I have driven 330 miles:biglaugh: without any ill effects - and I have a bad back. I have the 2.0TDI Sline 170 with full leather and I drive with the seat underleg support in the fully extended position, just as I do on my 2002 2.5 TDI quattro sport, again with full leather. I must admit I did not notice any difference in the pedal positions. It certainly was not a problem on the journey today. That is the first long journey I have done in the new car - it now has just over 500 miles on it and it is loosening up nicely.

TAF

drmartin
30-05-2009, 09:19 PM
I noitced the restricted footwell initially during test drives, but now dont notice... its just not a problem for me now.

Im 6'3" and would advise getting sports seats, if you have the SE they are an option but are much better then the comfort seats for posture. Make sure you demo a car with them fitted.

M

A1287210
30-05-2009, 09:36 PM
The pedals are off set?!.......

I was aware of this from reading reviews and it seamed as if this was the main reasons why it was not as good as the BMW 3 series..read what car?

RUBBISH, what off set pedals?, you get used to them straight away, I have driven many different types of car in that last 5 years and have not noticed any real difference.

PS I broke my ankle in a freak BMW accident, very bad, but afterwards the pedals in the Audi seem just fine:p:p:p:p:p:p

Damo

tomr1979
30-05-2009, 09:46 PM
Thanks for all the interesting replys so far, seems as though most people dont see as a problem

would like to hear more views on this though from people who spend 4-5 hours a day in their car and have had it for some time

B19RAK
31-05-2009, 10:54 AM
Get the multitronic then, not an issue.

A1287210
01-06-2009, 08:30 AM
Thanks for all the interesting replys so far, seems as though most people dont see as a problem

would like to hear more views on this though from people who spend 4-5 hours a day in their car and have had it for some time

I often spend 5-8 hours in the car in a day and find more of a problem with no footrest to the side of the clutch, every couple of hours I stick the cruise control on and strtch my feet and put them flat on the floor (only if it is safe to do so;))

jon_iz
01-06-2009, 09:26 AM
I often spend 5-8 hours in the car in a day and find more of a problem with no footrest to the side of the clutch, every couple of hours I stick the cruise control on and strtch my feet and put them flat on the floor (only if it is safe to do so;))

I do around 30000 miles annually. I've had my car for 6 months now with no problems....
I used to have an A4 1.8 (Early R reg) - that used to cripple me with back ache - was glad when it went!
So I guess if this was going to cause a problem, I would have had it by now!

AndyH123
01-06-2009, 12:29 PM
Was the first thing I noticed when I hopped in the car before the test drive.

Thankfully they weren't a problem during the test drive, and I'm up 16,500 miles now and I think I'm ok! Must admit I have sometimes looked down and thought my legs are at a funny angle. I'll have to sit in a 'normal' car to compare!

For me I seem to faff more with the lumber support and generally wiggle in the seat when stuck in long traffic jams, so I'm off to the thread on driving position which I've just spotted.. hope you're ok with the A4!

rich164h
01-06-2009, 01:52 PM
I noticed this too but as others have said, you jsut get used to it. The more annoying thing is the big lump in the footwell just to the left of the clutch that seems to sometimes get int he way of fully depressing the clutch. Once again you get used to it, but I wish it wasn't there to start with.

leehal
01-09-2009, 06:49 AM
Interesting to read this thread, my right hip aches when I drive my S-Line.

I had a spinal fusion in February and my back is still a little tender at times, spent the last week trying (and so far failing) to find a comfortable driving position. To be honest the hip pain is more annoying than the lumbar support which seems to be too low down in the back of the seat.

Love the car but it is taking some getting used to.

troc
01-09-2009, 09:45 AM
I drive in Europe, so my car is LHD (well, the S4 I had for a weekend was and replacement will be...... roll on the 11th) but for a day or so, I drove a loaner RHD 1.8T and I was forever catching my feet on stuff in the pedal box area, compared to the LHD version, you lot have a seriously compromised driving position - especially in a manual car.

If you get a chance to sit in a LHD example (they usually have a few around at Watford Audi as it's the main Audi export dealer), you'll see what I mean.

Or join me when I pick up "snaily 2" for a looking-for-scratches-and-dents party :)

John

B8 TDI
01-09-2009, 07:52 PM
I've had mine for just over a year now, and I've driven a couple of long trips (6 - 8 hours) and one very long 16 hour trip, and the offset pedals have not been a problem at all.

XM640
04-09-2009, 07:40 AM
I'm over 6 foot and agree with posts here in that for most trips the offset pedals and somewhat restricted footwell space (for the left leg) is not a problem.

That said, after several hrs in the car I do notice the less room you have to stretch and move your leg. And I find that I cannot brace myself as well in hard cornering with my leg offset as it is.

Ok not perfect but did not stop me from buying this excellent vehicle.