PDA

View Full Version : The first service

Passat
02-04-2007, 11:37 AM
Does anyone know when I should have my Passat B6 FSI 2.0 serviced for its first time? I've had it for a year and the clock is showing 9.5k miles.

Cheers

iaint
04-04-2007, 07:54 AM
There are two service schedules available for the newer Passat, time and distance or longlife.

All new VW's with the exception of the Fox are set at manufacture for longlife servicing, which is variable depending upon your driving style but will be no more than 20,000 miles or two years between services which ever is soonest.

If you do all town driving you can ask the VW dealer to set your car to run on the time and distance schdule and this will be 10,000 miles or 1 year which ever is soonest.

Your car will therefore be set to longlife service and will let you know when it's first service is due but at 1 year / 9,500 miles it may be a while yet.

This is why the use of the correct oil is so important when topping up. The older PD engines had an oil designed for high pressure perfromance but the newer engines have to cope with high pressures AND possibly 20,000 miles of use.

I hope this helps and I wouldn't worry yet.
Iain

Passat
04-04-2007, 12:20 PM
This is why the use of the correct oil is so important when topping up. The older PD engines had an oil designed for high pressure perfromance but the newer engines have to cope with high pressures AND possibly 20,000 miles of use.

I hope this helps and I wouldn't worry yet.
Iain
Thank you very much for your advice!:biglaugh:
About the oil, which one would you recommend?
I did get it topped up at a garage about two months ago, but I forgot to ask what engine oil they used. If they used some cheap oil, do I need to get it changed to right one?

iaint
04-04-2007, 01:12 PM
Your handbook will state that you must use oil which meets VW507.00

I use Castrol Edge which is available in Halfords and most other places.
http://www.castrol.com/castrol/productdetailmin.do?categoryId=9004868&contentId=7008962

As for whether to get the oil changed, it depends on what was used and how much they put in. Remember it would have the correct oil in from new so you've probably just diluted it down a bit. The other thing to remember is if they haven't used 507 oil, then the oil they did use should be good for 10,000 miles anyway, so if the top up was done recently you will probably be having a service before the oil is 10,000 miles old.

I wouldn't like to recommend you either way but if is was my car, I'd probably leave it. No doubt someone will offer a more helpful answer soon.

Cheers
Iain

Lex Luthor
04-04-2007, 07:01 PM
It's a petrol engine.
He needs 504 oil...

iaint
04-04-2007, 07:24 PM
Sorry, i'd not noticed it was a petrol engine.

Please accept my appologies.
Iain

Passat
05-04-2007, 12:37 PM
I got the idea. you've been a big help, thanks a lot.
Have a nice Easter holiday.:beerchug: