PDA

View Full Version : Question 2002 A3 1.8 Sport (non turbo) cam belt question

msmith4000
28-05-2009, 10:19 PM
Hello all,

Firstly apologies if this has already been covered in another thread I have checked thoroughly and most answers to my question pertain to the A3 1.8T and not the non turbo version.

I am about to buy a 1.8 Sport (non turbo) with 73K on the clock. The dealer says that the cam belt does not need changed yet as the service schedule of the vehicle says it gets done at 115K. I note though that many say it should get done earlier on the 1.8T and also I am aware that manufacturers can change their minds later as to what the interval should be.

My question is can any one confirm whether or not Audi has revised the cam belt change interval for this model since it has been released and if so what is the new interval. Or can someone recommend a good web site to visit that will provide the info I'm looking for.

Many thanks in anticipation :1zhelp:

t85c
29-05-2009, 11:17 PM
Ignoring the mileage figure I would get it done as been 7 years

msmith4000
15-06-2009, 07:49 PM
Thanks for your help we are going to change it soon. I managed to clear it up.

There are vehivle workshops at my work, just so happens a VW technichian was on-site training the mechanics onsite recently, I got his email and he checked with Audi UK yech support who where in the office next door and eventually he managed to pry the answer out of them: it is indeed 115,000 miles no time limit although servicing and how it has been driven should be taken into consideration so it is only a guide.

The Boshe software disk also at my workshops had timing belt fitting instructions for numerous cars and for the A3 1.8 Sport the intervals are 74,000 for one particular engine code and 114,000, but again consideration should be taken servicing / driving style.

Checking my code was the 114,000. Thanks for your answer though. For others who may be reading, no change in timing belt intervals has been issued by audi for the A3 1.8 sport

SEMKY
15-06-2009, 10:53 PM
Like t85c says above...ALL rubber components have a 'shelf-life' just by the very nature of rubber, especially one as highly stressed as a toothed belt, it will perish and crack. (hence why they are introducing age limits for tyres too...if they havent already?)

Reckon you're doing the right thing getting it changed....personally limit mine to 4 years, regardless of miles.:beerchug:

ukmonkey
04-08-2009, 08:20 PM
Just posted a thread similar to this.
My car is a 1.8 turbo so can you tell me the correct time or miles of when it should be changed?

SEMKY
10-08-2009, 11:12 AM
70k miles or 4 years...whichever comes first. Get the water pump and tensioner done at the same time.

ukmonkey
23-08-2009, 05:18 PM
Thanks semky, yeah and heard to get the water pump done at same time but what is the tensioner and how much roughly for the pump and tensioner?.