PDA

View Full Version : Scirocco 2.0ltr TSI misfire.

Ravens
28-05-2009, 01:35 PM
My wife's Scirocco has started to intermittingly misfire in the first 2 miles of a journey in the morning, when pulling away from lights or a junction. There are no error messages showing. The Dealer says he will put it on the code reader but doubts he will find anything. Any ideas.
By the way does the plastic cover over the camshaft cover just pull off?

Eshrules
28-05-2009, 01:52 PM
Tell the dealer to stop talking nonsense, the car's less than a year old, if he doesn't find anything, he'll have to investigate.

the beauty of a warranty :)

engineermk
29-05-2009, 11:55 AM
The car's OBD (OnBoard Diagnostics) system will detect a misfire. If it logs several misfires the MIL (Malfuction Indicator Light) warning light will come on and stay on. The dealer's diagnostic tool will detect a single misfire even if the MIL hasn't been triggered.

Insist they check te car out under warenttee and note it on their system. A long term misfire will damage the catalyst so if the misfire returns you need to ensure they check out the catalyst. The catalyst can melt when unburnt fuel enters it, this will cause teh back pressure to increas and reduced engine performance bacause of the increased back pressure in teh exhaust system.

part of my job is testing prototype cars to make sure their misfire monitoring systems work so i know the car will log a misfire and what damage long term misfires cause.

Good luck

Ravens
29-05-2009, 01:54 PM
Thanks for info., yes going in next week, hopefully it will have recorded the misfires.

maisbitt
29-05-2009, 03:59 PM
Been flitting between RON95 and RON98 unleaded fuel?

Or maybe if you just use RON95, the antiknock system is taking a while to settle from startup?

Ravens
29-05-2009, 08:05 PM
Don't think so, wife had Golf MK5 2.0ltr TFSI for 3.5 years on the 95 juice no probs. No probs with this car for 2500 miles. Ta.

Ravens
01-06-2009, 02:03 PM
In at our favoured Dealers this morning. Test drive and computer picked nothing up, no error messages. The technician said he would download to Volkswagon technical to see if they knew of any problems. However after a final check on the engine he found the main air supply hose from the filter loose at the connection to the engine air intake after the flow meter. Result, problem solved. Good service on a call in basis. The technician said very few problems with the 2.0ltre turbo engines, and the sales section said all thier Scirrocos are on forward orders.

yellowplum
12-09-2009, 10:33 AM
Oh not another misfire problem with a German car... I read about a misfire on a Scirroco here and I trust it is not an inherent issue with the car. Unlike the issues with the BMW 123d Engines (I have one and hate the thing, such an issue with it that BMW and the Dealer are buying it back from me)...