PDA

View Full Version : Remove bumper to change a bulb?

tim.banks
27-05-2009, 08:33 PM
A piece of junk on the motorway broke a front fog light on my 06 A6. The dealer claims he needs to take off the bumper to fit a new fog light assembly, which sounds over the top to me,:confused: but I have heard moans about this before, with headlight bulbs.

So can any of you good folk tell me if i can change a fog light without stripping the bumper off?:1zhelp:

Cheers Chaps!

TimBo

Crasher
27-05-2009, 08:47 PM
For a 2005 onwards 4F chassis A6 it is a 30 time unit job (100 time units is 1 hour, a decimal hour, I ask you…) not including adjustment and only requires the trim around the fog light to be removed and I quote,

“Removing and installing fog lights - Audi A6

Switch off ignition and take out ignition key
Turn light switch to position “0”.
Release retaining clip using a screwdriver -arrow A- and remove air intake grille -1- in bottom section of bumper cover -arrows B-.
Remove bolts -1- and -2-.
Turn fog light housing -3- anti-clockwise on left-side of vehicle -arrow- and clockwise on right-side.
Take fog light housing out of bumper cover.
Unplug electrical connector.
Installing
Installation is carried out in the reverse order; note the following: Adjust fog lights”

I can’t post the pic though, sorry, against forum rules.

tim.banks
28-05-2009, 06:58 PM
Cheers Crasher, very helpful, I am going to query the dealer why they need to take off the bumper and charge me the average weekly wage for the privilege.....

That is getting close to extortion or something similar........

paul b
28-05-2009, 08:07 PM
I've changed fog bulbs on mine, I definitely didn't take the bumper off.

I did for the timing belt though. :D

tim.banks
01-06-2009, 08:25 PM
Hi Crasher, thanks mate, I queried the need to take the bumper off with the dealer, and they accepted that you can do the job by removing the grill over the air in take where the fog light lives, and they accepted that and charged me 30 mins labour as you indicated.

I owe you one for that, cheers:D

In the dealer's favour they did say that S-line models are more of a problem.

And the b@*gers mis-quoted me on the service cost :mad: - didn't inc VAT even when i asked specifically - still I got a free MoT

TimBo