PDA

View Full Version : Mk4 Golf 2.0 Gti intermittent starting problem

rajbrinder
27-05-2009, 05:27 PM
Hi All
I am new to this Forum and dont know whether this is correct place to place a message.
I have recently bought a VW Golf GTI 2.0 Petrol Mk4 with a known issue with bad clutch which I am planning to replace soon. However while driving it yesterday on Motorway I couldnt get it beoynd 70mph, it really struggled to build up on speed which I reckon might be due to clutch.

Today I had a very strange issue:
Started car at home (perfect), went to Tescos got some petrol and came back after paying at Kiosk , tried to start and it didnt start, engine turned over but didnt come up.
Called AA, guy came and he tried to start. Car started first time, when he was about to leave I tried again and the car didnt start. AA was unable to find the fault, the guy checked all the electrics and told me that he can see power going to Plugs and Fuel injectors when I tried to start but for some reason Spark Plugs and Fuel injectors are not turning off and on or firing. He then connected VAG , no faults were found. No faults or alarms on dash board panel. Everything appeared fine.
Finally he gave up and advised me to take it to Garage, he was about to tow the car and locked the car using FOB. Unlocked it again , tried to start and to our surprise car started first time. I drove it back home and tried restarting it and it started OK.
ANy ideas what would have caused this erratic behaviour. I am sure this problem will come back...
Thanks in advance...

STEWY L
27-05-2009, 06:09 PM
sounds like the immobiliser is playing up to me,
regards,
stewy.

rajbrinder
27-05-2009, 07:15 PM
Thanks for the quick response. But if immoboliser was faulty this should alarm on front dash panel. EVerything gets cleared when I am about to turn the key.

sr-performance
27-05-2009, 10:31 PM
Hiya mate,
got to say same as stewy, does sound like immobiliser. check all multi plugs that connect on engine are fitted ok as i had a bmw that had similar faults which were down to plugs not being fully connected..

steve