PDA

View Full Version : Emission Control System warning lamp

safcsteve
27-05-2009, 09:43 AM
Hi, driving into work today my 2004 A6 1.8t avant suddenly started juddering as though the engine was about to cut out and the emission control system light started to illuminate on the dash.

Thankfully I managed to get into work but I realise I will have to get the car into an Audi dealer asap.

I had a similar issue earlier this year (in February during the heavy snow) and it was traced to a faultin number 2 coil packl which was replaced by my local main dealer.

Is this the most likely cause of the issue I am experiencing or could it be something else?

I was informed at the time that this was a common failure however surely it wouldn't have failed again so soon after being replaced!!

Another annoyance is that the car was in for a service (albeit an interim service on Saturday).

Thanks in advance,

Steve.

Peter D
27-05-2009, 11:16 AM
There are four coil packs to go wrong. A fault code read is required. Regards Peter

KevBrowne
08-06-2009, 02:49 PM
Hi,
I have a 2001 1.8T Avant Sport. I bought it in 2006 with 28,000 miles on it. The first time I had problems with one of the coils was less than a week aftert I bought it. Within 3 months all four had gone on me, so I replaced all four and now carry a spare in the boot just in case it happens again.
The car is now coming up 8 years old and has 89,000 miles on it and I haven't had the same problem again (just plenty of others!!!).

:beerchug: