PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Lumpy When Cold 2.0 Beetle.....

john davis 100
26-05-2009, 06:00 PM
Hi,I have recently bought a VW Beetle 2.0 for my girlfriend,2001 X Reg with 88k and FSH.When we picked it up the engine management light was on but we know this to be very common as every one we saw had the same thing. It drives very well, however when we start it from cold it is a bit lumpy and a popping noise can be heard from the exhaust. We took it for an MOT and it passed with flying colours and the emissions were spot on,while we were there the mechanic popped the computer on it,no fault was found and the light was reset,2 days later it came back on!!!!
I have replaced the plugs,the leads,the air filter,the air mass meter and the temp sender but none have seemed to cure it. Could anybody help me please???

I read in one of the threads that it may be a dirty throttle body??? Where is this located and how would I clean it????

Please help as I am having no luck what so ever with this or my Audi A4 TDI which I still haven't got to the bottom of either :zx11:

Thanks i advace for any help you could give me
John

Crasher
26-05-2009, 07:37 PM
I would suspect either an air leak or a faulty coil pack, check the pipe from the oil filler cap breather to the inlet boot to see if it is split. The throttle body is at the end of this pipe which has the AMM at the other end.

orienteer
31-07-2009, 04:10 PM
How was this resolved in the end ? :D

Thanks, Ian

john davis 100
03-08-2009, 06:48 PM
:aargh4: :1zhelp: :zx11:

I have tried everything except the vacuum pipes,I have tried plugs,ht leads,temp sender,airmass meter,coil pack,changed the oil with an engine flush,new timing belt with water pump and coolant flush and the timing checked..........
If you could help me I would be very grateful

Thanks
John

Crasher
03-08-2009, 08:10 PM
No mention of a fault code read there.

orienteer
03-08-2009, 08:28 PM
... while we were there the mechanic popped the computer on it,no fault was found and the light was reset,2 days later it came back on!!!! ...

If you had an engine light then 100% you had a code, or two, stored !!!!

No code my hoop ...

Sounds like the engine temperature sender. Should be a green topped one instead of black I believe. If it passes MOT, and drives well, when warmed up it is directing us more to that sensor again :confused:

I know you said you'd replaced it.

Have you bought a VAG-COM cable from EBay (budget!) or Ross Tech so you can read the codes yourself?? A shareware copy of the associated software is available as a starting point.

It is a very rare opportunity for us everyday Joes or Josephines to read the computer.

For more advice you must read the codes and post them here.

If you want to examine the engine pipework thoroughly then the shroud at the base of the windscreen and its metal under-section can be removed.

Codes first ... disassemble later :biglaugh:

Regards, Ian

P.S. Crasher is a great source of advice on here but will need your engine code ie. AQY and the VW codes read from the computer.

kahunajb
02-02-2010, 06:54 PM
John realise this is an old thread but did you ever get this sorted? I have a similar problem with my golf (same engine) and want to sell it but can't get it sorted. Thanks.