PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust fumes in car

shottdi
01-04-2007, 08:31 PM
Hi. I own a 53 reg Passat 130PD and I am having problems with exhaust fumes coming into the cabin. This is only noticable when I am sitting in the car with the engine ticking over. I have checked all the obvious things, such as the exhaust manifold for security, gaskets on the turbo and the exhaust pipe itself, but can find no obvious signs of a leak. Anyone got any ideas? I would be grateful for any help. Thanks.

MalcQV
01-04-2007, 09:11 PM
Sounds like you have checked everything. I would of said check the boot seal but as you said it only smells when the car is stopped, then it can't be that.

Good luck with it.

neilp
01-04-2007, 09:49 PM
Try waiting till dusk/night and with the engine running open the bonnet and with the aid of a torch look for smoke coming from around the turbo area.

This was happening to me a few months ago, I took the car to my local garage and he could not find any leak !!!.

It has stopped now on its own accord, however I noticed mine only did it below freezing!!! hope this helps.

shottdi
02-04-2007, 08:20 PM
Thanks for all the info. I've tried your good idea of looking for smoke in the engine bay with a torch, but sadly, no luck. I'll keep trying though. I hope mine cures itself, like yours! Thanks again!

LoudBob
31-07-2008, 12:25 PM
Presumably you have checked door and boot seals etc. If you drive the car with drivers window open about 50mm, with the air con off, this will induce negative pressure. If exhaust fumes are then apparent the chances are the rear drafters are not functioning correctly, or you have a floor grommet missing in the boot area. The drafters are situated between the boot lining and the sides of the rear bumper. They are designed to let pressure out when closing doors, they are only rubber flaps, but if they don`t close they will let in exhaust gas unless the interior is at positive pressure.

Crasher
31-07-2008, 12:34 PM
Check to see if the drain tubes under the battery and servo have been removed. I have seen this after well meaning mechanics remove the drain tubes to stop debris accumulating but that allows fumes from under the car to be drawn up into the heater intake.