PDA

View Full Version : Switch on the clutch

jalz
26-05-2009, 12:56 PM
Hi Guys, I was replacing the brakelight switch this morning and initially removed the wrong switch, which was the one on the clutch. I've put it back in since, and sorted my brakelights out but what is the switch on the clutch for, just so I can test/make sure I haven't damaged it.

Many Thanks.

kite
26-05-2009, 12:58 PM
Switch on the clutch is used to dis-engage cruise among other things...

jalz
26-05-2009, 01:15 PM
Thanks Kite,

I dont have cruise control on my car so hopefully it shouldn't affect me too much (well depending what the other things it controls).......

These switches are dead easy to break....broke the one I bought as was too careful with it! Reseated the original one more carefully and the lights started to work :)

kite
26-05-2009, 01:20 PM
I would get a new brake switch and replace, you don't want brake lights playing up again.
Not sure but think the clutch switch also tells the ECU to drop the revs at gear change..

jalz
26-05-2009, 01:24 PM
Thanks Kite,

Will probably go the dealer to get another switch at the weekend. Are the clutch switches just as 'easy' to break? Can't believe the design flaw in these switches.

Jalz

kite
26-05-2009, 01:25 PM
I think so..........

jalz
26-05-2009, 01:34 PM
Thanks again Kite,

I'll drive it for a week noting the revs and see how the car behaves once the clutch is pressed and buy one of these if need be. Don't think I broke this one, but without testing don't know.

Fairly easy to replace both of them when I have the front panel removed.

SEMKY
26-05-2009, 04:01 PM
Not sure but think the clutch switch also tells the ECU to drop the revs at gear change..

It does indeed! Mines not working at the minute, and I get a momentary over-rev when accelerating hard going up through the gears..

WillThePlank
22-06-2009, 08:45 AM
It does indeed! Mines not working at the minute, and I get a momentary over-rev when accelerating hard going up through the gears..

Ahh I get this too at high revs when disengaging the clutch and I just thought it was my driving.

I will have to take a look at that switch.