PDA

View Full Version : Question speaker cables and wiring method

lucianus
26-05-2009, 12:28 PM
hi. is there any special cable to use for wiring the rear speakers? so where can i buy it from? any special brands?
and what is the best way to pull the wires throu for the rear speakers? bottom left corner or roof and rear pillar?
thanx alot!

:beerchug:

hagis
26-05-2009, 12:50 PM
I'm having a similar problem with my 02 A4 http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=363592#post363592

Was your stereo the Blauplunkt unit?

lucianus
26-05-2009, 02:12 PM
no it's a kenwood but the rear speakers look like the original audi nokias. i took the pre-amp off them but now i need to run another cables to them cos i have no idea wich one goes there from the dozen i have behind the unit.

Captain Answer
26-05-2009, 02:30 PM
You can get speaker cable from most hardware shops, maplins sell it

You could mouse them through where the existing cables are, but I expect it would be easier to fit the cables in a similar way to fitting CD changer cables through to the boot.

You'll usually find a route exsists from the back of the stereo to the passsenger side footwell, then bring the cable down and under the plastic moulding at the side of the carpet, this can usually be pushed in with fingers without loosening in most car's i've ever fitted mine to. Then work back until you're in the boot by going under the back seat

hagis
26-05-2009, 10:37 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. I'd considered that but was put off by having to mess about with the wires but it makes sense what you've said. I'm still hoping there's a way I can wire it without having to buy any more stuff.

Captain Answer
27-05-2009, 12:11 PM
Can you not get a multimeter and work out what is what? There should be 8 speaker cables, complete the circuits a pair at a time at the speaker end then test to see which pair at the dash end make up the circuit

hagis
27-05-2009, 01:00 PM
I'm hoping to have a look at that this weekend. I can confirm there are only four speaker cables in the connector block with two wires piggy backing on to them for the bass speaker in the parcel shelf.

After Googling a bit and coming across this, I assumed that I had back speakers and that I could wire them in by modifying the harness:

http://www.nexxia.co.uk/Installation_Advice/Audi_Harness_adaptors.htm

Again, I need some free time at the weekend to double check the back doors to make sure I do actually have speakers in them.