PDA

View Full Version : Tdi Scirocco

danmachin
25-05-2009, 06:02 PM
Does anyone have a 2.0 TDi Scirocco with the 140bhp engine? I've seen poor reviews about this engine but I am wondering whether they are accurate or not - does anyone have any comments about this?

maisbitt
26-05-2009, 10:06 AM
I just got one. Came from a 170TDI Golf. There's noticeably less power, but it doesn't feel 30BHP less.

The common rail unit is much smoother than the old 170PD engine, but less urgent on the turbo pull (smoother power delivery).

The TDI140 is slowest off the mark, but in overtaking range is faster than the 1.4TSI.

So do you want to be quicker at the lights or quicker overtaking and have good economy?

I'm getting 49mpg in the first 100 miles (47 with the aircon on), most people on here are lucky to get 37mpg average in the 1.4TSI or 32mpg average in the 2.0TSI.

The ride of my Scirocco is infinitely better than my old GT TDI Sport 170 Golf, despite the bigger wheels.

What do you want from the car - a well made, good looking well equipped car that is cheap to run, or all of the above with extra power and a £50 per month penalty in fuel bills?

For some, the 2.0TSI is worth the extra £50 a month - horses for courses.

The 170CR engine is coming for the Scirocco - that'll be as quick off the mark as the 1.4TSI and will have the midrange acceleration of the 2.0TSI, for a tiny drop in economy over the 140TDI. Is it worth an extra £950 for what is effectively a remap though? I didn't think so and wasn't prepared to wait.

There were significant differences between the 140PD and 170PD mechanically and aesthetically that justified the price gap on a Golf GT Sport, but the injectors, turbo and tailpipes are identical on both the 140CR and the 170CR. My 170 never seemed quick off the mark - with all that torque, you couldn't get moving in a hurry without masses of wheelspin anyway (wet or dry - floor it in 2nd at 20mph and you''d go nowhere).

motechmike
26-05-2009, 10:14 AM
Does anyone have a 2.0 TDi Scirocco with the 140bhp engine? I've seen poor reviews about this engine but I am wondering whether they are accurate or not - does anyone have any comments about this?

We have done a few re-maps for VW bedford few guys saying the say !.
As the hole the CR lump is much smoother then the PD lump but you dont getthe same kick as you did..

When there mapped they a hole new car.. rev more pull harder etc etc..

Thanks Mike

simonkimbrell
08-09-2009, 10:45 AM
I just bought a 140 Tdi last week and i love it - i was previously driving a 1.8t Passat so horsepower is similar to my old VW but thats where it ends.

The engine is well balanced and provides good pull, its not as fast as the petrol in 1st gear but 2nd, 3rd and 4th have so much torque you feel like the tarmac must be crumbling under the wheels. I had a long discussion with the dealer about the 170 and the DSG gearbox and he said he wouldn't recommend either, despite the fact they would pocket the dealership a few thousand pounds more in sales. For the 30 extra horsepower the additional torque is minimal and the fuel consumption noticeably higher.

The reviews i read were all positive (Top Gear magazine, Parkers, Whatcar)about the addition of the 140 diesel engine to the range, it makes a gorgeous coupe more of an everyday driving car and when you want to drive it sensibly i'll bet you could get mpg figures in the high 50's. But, who wants to do that when you have 18" alloys and 235/40 tyres and a car with a SPORT button, the cornering is excellent and the diesel does not hold it back, nor make it sound like a tractor!!

I have had over 50mpg on a long run and almost 40mpg around town so far and i am constantly looking for excuses to jump in a go for a drive.

Take one for a test drive and i think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

yellowplum
12-09-2009, 10:23 AM
I haven't driven one yet, I have a test drive booked with a 2.0l Petrol car tomorrow, the only 170Tdi I drove was a Passat CC and although it was comfortable it isn't a drivers car.

So hoping the Scirroco does much better especially since it is lower than a golf (why can't they do all wheel drive :confused:)

mordred1973
18-10-2009, 02:46 PM
wow...where is this person who can get 32mpg out of a 2.0TFSi.....my Leon TFSi returns between 26 and 28 normal use with the occassional rise to 30-31 on a long motorway run.....

pumazooma
03-11-2009, 11:08 AM
I get 32-33 on a motorway run in my 2.0 TSi.

engineermk
19-11-2009, 09:22 AM
wow...where is this person who can get 32mpg out of a 2.0TFSi.....my Leon TFSi returns between 26 and 28 normal use with the occassional rise to 30-31 on a long motorway run.....

My 2007 A3 2.0TFSi returns a consistance 25mpg over the last 30.000 miles!

Feckered
12-12-2009, 08:49 PM
My 2007 A3 2.0TFSi returns a consistance 25mpg over the last 30.000 miles!
I have a Golf gt sport 140 and my missus has a scirocco 140 tdi,
Her car seems to pick up a bit quicker and the handling is alittle bit sharper, it might be cuz hers is brand new but I can get home on my fave back rd in the same time in both cars so remap for mine, Ineed a quicker car then her !