PDA

View Full Version : Problems with 1.9 TDI Engine - strange noises

DBSK
25-05-2009, 12:03 AM
Hi, ive got a 2004 A4 1.9 TDI 6 Speed manual, done 120,000 miles but it seems to be making some quite strange noises that dont seem right.

When the engine is cold there is a constant ticking coming from around the turbo area, ive had a look around and cannot see anything. The ticking gets slower and slower as the engine gets warmer.

The engine also growls quite loudly when the engine is under load at low revs for instance pulling away from a junction.

It seems to be smoking quite a bit under hard acceleration aswell, im going to get it serviced later this month so will get them to have a look for the other issues whilst its in.

Thanks

Alan02
26-05-2009, 11:43 AM
Hi,try checking all the intake hoses to and from the turbo and cooler for splits/not secure etc.

DBSK
28-05-2009, 07:55 PM
OKay thanks, will check the hoses, could that explain the ticking noise? It seems to be getting worse.

tom1234177
30-05-2009, 07:56 AM
When Idle ing Like Sitting in traffic, Mine Like surges, constantly on off on off, not sure whether its just because it a diseal and im used to petrol and also if there is a problem not sure where it coming

also is there a section on here for what to look for when buyin an audi a4 1.9 tdi 130 and the common faults

thanks

DANNY84
30-05-2009, 05:30 PM
My engine has always growled under hard acceleration.I bought it with 69000 on.It's now past 100000 and still does it.Probably just a combination of intake noise and the fact that it's under load.As for the smoking mine had a similar problem and turned out to be a split intercooler.Ticking not sure about.

DBSK
05-07-2009, 07:25 PM
OKay thanks, the growling turned out to be the water pump (which wasnt replaced when the cambelt was done) so that noise has now disappeared, however there is still a ticking noise from the turbo area and also smokes on start up quite often

SebRogers
05-07-2009, 07:45 PM
Can't help with the ticking noise, but a bit of smoke on startup is surely just unburnt fuel and probably nothing to worry about?

You could try running some fuel treatment like Forte through to clean up the injectors - see if that makes a difference. Can't do any harm :)

DBSK
20-08-2009, 03:17 PM
Update - ticking noise turned out to be something to do with the air con pump which needs replacing. It ticks when the a.c is off which was why it would do it for the first few seconds of starting the car until the a.c fires up!

Marc1
03-09-2009, 02:31 PM
Has this problem cleared properly now you've had the repair? Do you know what they did and how much did it set you back? Cheers

DBSK
31-12-2009, 02:26 PM
Has this problem cleared properly now you've had the repair? Do you know what they did and how much did it set you back? Cheers

Still havent had it done yet, its going in next week for them to double check its the air-con pump, they rekon if it is it will be around the £350 mark inc fitting.

toff
31-12-2009, 04:53 PM
When ticking noises can be heard when the car is standing still, it's always worth checking anything that's driven by a belt.. (I appreciate that doesn't narrow it down much!) Often belt tensioners tick then they have worn / need adjusting.

Glad you got to the bottom of it DBSK. How come the water pump wasn't changed when the cam was done?

Al.

DBSK
31-12-2009, 05:18 PM
When ticking noises can be heard when the car is standing still, it's always worth checking anything that's driven by a belt.. (I appreciate that doesn't narrow it down much!) Often belt tensioners tick then they have worn / need adjusting.

Glad you got to the bottom of it DBSK. How come the water pump wasn't changed when the cam was done?

Al.

Is the air con pump run off a belt?

The cambelt was changed by the garage before i got the car and the £30 water pump was obviously too much of a stretch! The water pump didnt fail but when they took the old one off they said it was on its way out.
:beerchug: