PDA

View Full Version : Pirelli P6000 - issue

AudiBob
24-05-2009, 07:28 PM
I have a 2008 B8 A4 2.0TDI SE. Its a leased company car and the lease hire company do all the maintenance including tyres and tyre choice.

After 19,000 miles the stock Dunlop SP01 tyres were ready for a change on the front. Kwik-Fit put Pirelli P6000's on as per the lease hire company. When I drove away I knew something was wrong, a high frequency vibration was present on the steering wheel which did not go away and increased with speed.

It would start at 50mph, be noticeable at 70, dammed annoying at 80+.

The next day I complained to Kwik-fit and they balanced the wheels, but this made no difference.

The wheels were balanced on 5 different occasions by three independent garages.

I returned the car to the Audi dealer who were useless and could not find the issue - but it was there and dammed annoying as most of my mileage is motorway at about 80mph.

After a couple of visits to the Audi dealer they dismissed the issue totally. Then I had a brain wave, I swapped the Pirellis from the front to the rear and the Stock Dunlop Sp01's from the rear to the front. I had a car reseller to this and balanced the wheels (sixth time).

Presto, my smooth refined beautiful ride returned immediately.

After 1000 miles I still get a minor rumble from the rear but the steering wheel is vibration free.

Now, What makes the Pirelli P6000 so different and the Dunlop Sp01 so smooth? - talking in a pub to a tyre fitter I got chatting to things the load od the Pirellis is less than the Dunlops however checking the tyre wall they both state 670kg but the Pirelli's mention 'standard load' and the tyre fitter claimed that the A4's need extra load tyres however the Dunlop tyres do not suggest as such.

I need some evidence to present to the lease hire company as to why not fit Pirelli's again and put the Dunlop on all round. Can anyone help?

If not be warned NEVER consider Pirelli P6000's for your A4.

CarbonS4
24-05-2009, 07:59 PM
Dont know how many miles the P6000 have done, but go back to Thick Fit get them to swop them back on to the front and demand that the manager comes out with you in the car, and show him the fault. You have either one or two faulty tyres, the load rating will make no difference. The tyres "are not fit for purpose" simple as that. :(

If you do no good with Thick fit, contact Pirelli direct.

The lease company if pushed hard should have replaced like for like anyway. Did you get Thick fit to call the lease company while you were there ? or did they just say that you had to have the Pirelli's ?

B19RAK
24-05-2009, 08:07 PM
I had the same problem with a company Astra not to long ago, absolute knob jockeys. Conversation went something like this...

Me - "My front wheels shake and vibrate above 50mph after you changed the tyres"
KF - "Ok i'll rebalance them"
Me - "Sure thats done properly this is the 2nd time?"
KF - "100% perfect. no problems"

Was it cured, was it ****! Went back the next day.

Me "Still the same problem"
KF (different guy) "Well i've just had a look and they have been done wrong, don't know what they were thinking....who did it?"
Me "Your ******* YTS chav employess!" Tell you what i can't be ***** to waste anymore of my time, just swap the rears with the fronts.

Hey presto, as smooth as an Astra can get.

AudiBob
25-05-2009, 08:15 AM
Dont know how many miles the P6000 have done, but go back to Thick Fit get them to swop them back on to the front and demand that the manager comes out with you in the car, and show him the fault. You have either one or two faulty tyres, the load rating will make no difference. The tyres "are not fit for purpose" simple as that. :(

If you do no good with Thick fit, contact Pirelli direct.

The lease company if pushed hard should have replaced like for like anyway. Did you get Thick fit to call the lease company while you were there ? or did they just say that you had to have the Pirelli's ?

THanks for the encouragement. I did not think the tyres were faulty but incorrect spec for the car.

The Pirelli's have done 2000-2500 miles and I'll try Kwik-Fit but as mentioned they are just kids and dont really know.

AudiBob
25-05-2009, 08:21 AM
I had the same problem with a company Astra not to long ago, absolute knob jockeys. Conversation went something like this...

Me - "My front wheels shake and vibrate above 50mph after you changed the tyres"
KF - "Ok i'll rebalance them"
Me - "Sure thats done properly this is the 2nd time?"
KF - "100% perfect. no problems"

Was it cured, was it ****! Went back the next day.

Me "Still the same problem"
KF (different guy) "Well i've just had a look and they have been done wrong, don't know what they were thinking....who did it?"
Me "Your ******* YTS chav employess!" Tell you what i can't be ***** to waste anymore of my time, just swap the rears with the fronts.

Hey presto, as smooth as an Astra can get.

Great story, identical to mine.

The problem is the next time the fronts (stock tyres) need replacement I may have the same problem and with faulty tyres on the rear will have no option other than putting up with the issue.

If the tyres are faulty I think its best they go as I often travel at the upper limits of sub-sonic (95-100) and touching super-sonic (>100) briefly.

I may have a battle on my hands, any supporting evidence on the fault of these tyres would be appreciated.

B19RAK
25-05-2009, 09:58 AM
Great story, identical to mine.

The problem is the next time the fronts (stock tyres) need replacement I may have the same problem and with faulty tyres on the rear will have no option other than putting up with the issue.

If the tyres are faulty I think its best they go as I often travel at the upper limits of sub-sonic (95-100) and touching super-sonic (>100) briefly.

I may have a battle on my hands, any supporting evidence on the fault of these tyres would be appreciated.

I know it harsh but stick a few nails/screws in them. No choice but to change. It was my manager who told me to do that!

CarbonS4
25-05-2009, 12:37 PM
I know it harsh but stick a few nails/screws in them. No choice but to change. It was my manager who told me to do that!

Make sure that the nail is within 1.5" of the sidewall otherwise they can repair it :aargh4:

daffy
05-08-2009, 10:31 PM
I have a 2.0 TDI S-line avant and had all 4 tyres replaced at 26,000miles, Thick fit (company car again) fitted pirellis and it was awful to the point of being unbearable for anything more than a trip to the shops.

Anyway, long story short and after balancing 4 times the tyres are changed again, this time for Continental, it is much better but still has a wobble at 68mph where you can watch the wheel move about 1/4 inch if you let it go.

Eventually I took it to an independant and they rebalanced the wheels and it is still there but only just.

This is not a small issue as the car was super smooth until the original tyres came off, I guess not many have had tyres replaced yet - I expect to see more of this on this forum - Audi must be aware of the issue.