PDA

View Full Version : Question Fuel additive.

John Paterson
24-05-2009, 07:13 PM
Hi - I've been having start up problems for months with my 2.0 fsi.
During the last visit (7 days for just 5 more hours diagnostics work!) the main dealer suggested we try an additive in the fuel to clean the injectors.
I've done 100 miles with this additive in now and, not only do I still have the start up problem, I've started getting the engine losing all power for about 0.5 to 1 second at a time when accelerating then running fine again.
My question is, is this to be expected after adding additive? Is it normal? And will these events (5 today) register as a fault code in the engine managment?
Or is it a worsening of my start up problem which I've detailed previously on this forum?

Any help is, as always, appreciated.

Thanks, JP.

slimbaldy
26-05-2009, 04:38 PM
Hi, 2.0 Fsi's do have an issue with EGR valves (exhaust gas recycling), always been abit shy of fuel additives as they can confuse ecu's and sometimes don't do the cat converter alot of good. Maybe an air sensor for incoming air temp?.

John Paterson
26-05-2009, 07:53 PM
Thanks for the reply.

To be honest I was begining to feel a bit unwanted, I've not had any replies to my last couple of post!

The EGR valve was checked by the main dealer during the last diagnostics and found to be OK. However, I don't think the MAF sensor was, could that be the cause of both my start up problem and the sudden loss of power?

I'll still keep the EGR valve on the list of possible causes now that I'm aware of an issue on this model.

Thanks again for the reply.

JP.

John Paterson
02-06-2009, 10:00 AM
Hi - Just for reference;

My car was at an independent garage yesterday for more diagnostics.
While it was there it didn't perform it's "start-up" problem or the new "engine losing all power for about 0.5 to 1 second at a time when accelerating" problem.
Again neither problem showed up as a fault code!

Suggestion from the independent garage is that the software download with the coded out stratified-charge mode (so the engine runs in homogeneous mode only) that I had done last year needs re-downloading/installing.

Any thoughts on that, anyone?

slimbaldy
03-06-2009, 07:51 PM
Sounds like the audi dealer messed it up then, they should have reset the management system correctly. if its under warranty this should be easily done. My ECU did play up abit just after a major service when my partner was using it but hasn't done it again. I take it theres been no body work repair involving welding as ECU's hate this unless they are isolated properly. Regards Slim....

John Paterson
05-06-2009, 03:04 PM
Thanks for the reply Slim,

I've been told by my maindealer that re-installing the same software I'm already running cannot be done unless I replace the fuel controller unit! This must be shipped with the software pre-installed?
However, another dealership tells me they "might be able" to re-install the same software but will charge me even if they can't!
And finally, a third dealership is confident they can re-install the same software and won't charge me if they can't.

No prizes for guessing which one I'm booked in with on Tues.

I'll post the details of the out come.

Cheers, JP.