PDA

View Full Version : aux socket power

jakerade
24-05-2009, 04:40 PM
Does anyone know if its possible to get power in the boot with out the ignition switched on. I want to run a fridge on holiday but the power on the B8 seems to go off as soon as you switch off the ignition (so you cannot charge your phone either!)

I was wondering if there might be a VAGCOM modification

Jake

rd1
26-05-2009, 09:32 PM
I keep meaning to check the rear aux as one of my children said that she thought it continued to charge her phone when the ignition was off. I know that neither of the front do and if so then easy to use that one through to the rear if no boot aux fitted.
Roger

jakerade
26-05-2009, 09:37 PM
doesnt work in mine. You would think having just the key in the ignition (eg Accessory position) would turn it on but no, you need to have the ignition on

RichardCranium
27-05-2009, 12:32 PM
Tried mine this weekend, and no go. Going away this weekend and have borrowed an electirc cool box, so tried it to see what happened. Shame really. I guess its a safety thing to stop your battery going flat

jakerade
27-05-2009, 01:02 PM
worked quite happily on my b7 without flattening the battery. It wouldnt be so bad if they just left it running when the car was unlocked but its as soon as you switch the engine off

They changed this on the mk5 golf half way through its life which makes me think its a VAG-COM setting

a8 tech
27-05-2009, 02:31 PM
B8 has battery management so there is no 30 supply active for 12 volt accessory connection after ignition key removed.If voltage drop occurs then systems are shut down to maintain battery voltage for starting,you can pick up a permanent 30 from the battery in the boot if so wish to but i would consider the time you intend to charge your accessory before consumption is detected by the manager.You do this at your own risk there are certain systems that can stay live for a set time on the mmi high network and the time length can be adapted but that's for you to sort out if you wish to do so as this function has been left off for a reason.
You will need to calculate what consumption your accessory is likely to draw before considering this and also be sure you have a good understanding of the electrical networks you are tapping into as any drain history will be recorded in battery management ambient and history logs

jakerade
27-05-2009, 02:35 PM
blimey - sounds complicated so may give it a miss and get someone else to take the fridge!

I dont suppose you know if there is any way to delay the phone cradle start up until you put the key in the ignition? I have an rsap adapter and it hijacks my phone everytime I unlock the car!

Thanks

a8 tech
27-05-2009, 02:43 PM
I tried to avoid this post but as people are starting to add comments i thought i would nip it in the bud before one of you damages your vehicle.

Make sure your phone is set for sap connection and also the rsap adapter is also set for sap as it sound like its pairing to hfp profile instead of sap.Make sure the adapter is saved as authorised on the phone
Unpair your phone and clear the rsap adapter,default the phone on the mmi display setup function
Turn ignition off and re bond your phone to rsap this should then only need to pair up once and once the ignition is switched off should unbond within seconds unless you are mid call.
There are adaptions in telephone and radio that can be altered but as yet rsap adapter has limited functions to play with.
Try that and i will look further if the fault still occurs

mallymclane
27-05-2009, 02:48 PM
I don't get the connection between phone and fridge.... ;-(

wrong thread, a8_tech? ;-)

jakerade
27-05-2009, 02:53 PM
thanks - will give that a go (apols for the off topic diversion)

a8 tech
27-05-2009, 03:12 PM
I don't get the connection between phone and fridge.... ;-(

wrong thread, a8_tech? ;-)
correct thread :biglaugh:

a8 tech
27-05-2009, 03:18 PM
added a bit more

Make sure your phone is set for sap connection and also the rsap adapter is also set for sap as it sound like its pairing to hfp profile instead of sap.Make sure the adapter is saved as authorised on the phone

jakerade
27-05-2009, 03:25 PM
Its definitely connecting on rSAP. I have tried both - HFP works much better if you are getting in/out of the car a lot as the switch over is instant. rSAP takes about 45 secs to connect and a minute to disconnect after you have locked the car.

The problem is that rSAP switches your phone off when you unlock the car and if it fails to pair properly (its an Windows Mobile so you need to switch data connections off or it will lock the sim card up) you end up walking around with you phone switched off.

I tend to switch between the two profiles and, if the phone is running rSAP, switch bluetooth on and off manually.

There may be a better way though.....

a8 tech
27-05-2009, 03:31 PM
That will be the problem,the adapter prefers one profile.I will test a few phones when i am back in work

jakerade
27-05-2009, 03:34 PM
I have tried it both ways before and it didnt seem to make any difference. I will however try it again