PDA

View Full Version : Question Induction noise on K & N Panel Filter

arl_gti
24-05-2009, 11:01 AM
Hi all,

I recently replaced the standard airfilter for a panel K & N filter. However I noticed with the new filter the airbox was vibrating due to a miniscual gap between the upper & lower casing. I stopped the vibration with a cable tie but still notice an induction noise coming from the air box. Is this normal?

Also has anyone else had their airbox vibrating after replacing their filters with aftermaket ones?

Cheers guys - enjoy the weather this weekend!

Crasher
24-05-2009, 12:06 PM
Where is this gap? Between the filter and the casing? These are a very tight fit. The early Golf 4 filters had a foam gasket that had to be added and a tube of silicon grease to prevent the filter being damaged. Where did you buy the filter?

arl_gti
24-05-2009, 01:03 PM
Hi Crasher,

Yes the gap is between the upper casing of the airbox and the filter as it fits in perfectly into the lower casing. I got the filter from a friend who had only used it for 10K odd miles.

The k & n box has '33-2128' on it & my ARL is was built in 2003.

Cheers.

Crasher
24-05-2009, 04:34 PM
I suspected that was the case, I think you have an old style 33-2128 which used a foam strip inside the lid of the air box to take up the slack, if it was correct you would struggle to get the top on, that is what the grease is for, a bead is applied in the small channel on top of the filter to help the top slide across without ripping the gasket or filter. Later production 33-2128’s are a direct fit, no gasket or grease.

arl_gti
24-05-2009, 11:02 PM
I see, do you think some heavy duty single sided foam tape can do the trick. If so what thickness must I go for?

Cheers

Crasher
25-05-2009, 12:31 AM
The original was a die cut single sided adhesive neoprene foam strip about 2-mm thick so a run of foam tape around the perimeter should be OK, remember about the grease though, it was to stop the foam strip riding off and being sucked into the engine, which would do your turbo no good at all. For what they cost, buy one properly and throw that one away.

arl_gti
25-05-2009, 09:45 AM
I didn't feel too comfortable with sticking things inside the airbox for the same reason. I will invest in a new one just making sure it is the later model not requiring gaskets etc...

Do you think it's ok to stay in there at the moment or should I pull it out?

Cheers

Crasher
25-05-2009, 04:18 PM
I think it is just an irritant at the moment, I can’t see much getting past it but to be safe, I would take it out.