PDA

View Full Version : Build dates for my car.

HHGTTG
23-05-2009, 10:15 PM
Other than the obvious suggestion of my main dealer, where else could I find out what is the build date/week of my long outstanding new Golf. Currently I've been waiting 12 weeks and have been told that the original date of week 23 has now become 31 but I don't believe any of this, really.

:(

vdubdavy
23-05-2009, 10:25 PM
you could try using the contact form on the vw website, i had a query about the cruise control, i emailed vw through their website.
they then passed it on to vw uk who then got back to me within a day or two

WeegieBob
24-05-2009, 07:19 AM
The day I took delivery of my Golf on the 1st of April and during my conversation with the salesman he mentioned it was anticipated that build dates were increasing from the then 12 weeks to perhaps 18 weeks such was the demand for the Mk VI.

Not much solice in my reply I'm afraid - sorry.

WeegieBob.

HHGTTG
24-05-2009, 08:46 AM
Thanks for thos inputs, so far.

paul.mgrath
26-05-2009, 10:47 PM
After taking advice from above and contacting VW i have had a response and been told that delivery time is estimated at 16 wks. However if i was to get the comission number (6 digit number) from my dealer they could give me a more meaningful date, tell me what stage of production etc.

e-mail address is enquiries@volkswagen.co.uk

Telephone call to the dealer tomorrow for the comission number then!!

I ordered mine 14 April and was given wk23 so on the basis of this i am at wk32 - 59 reg it is then!!

ralferoo
26-05-2009, 11:05 PM
I ordered mine 14 April and was given wk23 so on the basis of this i am at wk32 - 59 reg it is then!!Hmmm, week 32 is start of August, so a month too soon for 59 plates. Or does it take a month from the build date to arrive?

I ordered mine on 27th April and was quoted end of July. 2 weeks later on 11th May, I decided I wanted to change the colour from Blue Graphite to Shadow Blue and the salesman told me he'd have to cancel the first order and put it through again, although he still seemed to think I'd be able to get the car in July.

I got a bit of a look at the screen when he was checking the order and I think it was provisionally booked in for week 31 then, although as that wasn't a confirmed date I'm a bit confused. I guess if it's going to drag out to mid-August, I might be better to wait for the 59 plate as it'll probably improve resale prices later down the line, although as I'm fed up of waiting already and it's only been 4 weeks, I might not be able to take extra waiting...

Maybe I'll just pop in tomorrow and ask what's going on...

HHGTTG
27-05-2009, 08:53 AM
Frankly I am of the opinion that the dealers don't really know any more than us - assuming we've made our own enquiries at Milton Keynes.
The dealers are just there to take our money and often provide an indifferent service both before and after purchase.
Since I placed my order in February I have never been contacted by the dealer UNLESS I had contacted them first, when perhaps they then needed to get back to me due to someone's absence or inability to provide the info. straightaway.

ralferoo
27-05-2009, 01:28 PM
Frankly I am of the opinion that the dealers don't really know any more than usI think you're spot on there. The only source of information he had was the VAG computer system which I saw and said very little apart from "No data received from factory" and didn't even have projected build dates like the last order had (so, this order is less far advanced after 2.5 weeks than the original after 2 weeks). At least I saw and memorised my commision number so I can make enquiries without have to go to the dealer.

He didn't say anything to suggest there were long delays at manufacture and that the original July date he'd promised wasn't likely to be met. But, without any build date estimate yet and hearing rumours (here and on another forum) of 18 week lead times, I'm beginning to think that it'll definitely be a 59 plate now...

He also said that it'd be 2010 model, but when asked about that he was very vague (just said minor spec changes), but the way he said it sounded like he was hiding something. Or simply he just didn't have any idea.

HHGTTG
27-05-2009, 02:33 PM
I think you're spot on there. The only source of information he had was the VAG computer system which I saw and said very little apart from "No data received from factory" and didn't even have projected build dates like the last order had (so, this order is less far advanced after 2.5 weeks than the original after 2 weeks). At least I saw and memorised my commision number so I can make enquiries without have to go to the dealer.

He didn't say anything to suggest there were long delays at manufacture and that the original July date he'd promised wasn't likely to be met. But, without any build date estimate yet and hearing rumours (here and on another forum) of 18 week lead times, I'm beginning to think that it'll definitely be a 59 plate now...

He also said that it'd be 2010 model, but when asked about that he was very vague (just said minor spec changes), but the way he said it sounded like he was hiding something. Or simply he just didn't have any idea.
At the very least 18 weeks lead times. I don't think my dealer is too pleased, as they know they are going to lose on the p/x value of my car which is fixed although when the time comes they might 'try it on' .
However, I expect there is sufficient leeway there for them to still make enought profit on the sale - I could always tell them to stick it when it comes, although I'd be back to square one and would have lost out on some of my deposit no doubt.

maisbitt
27-05-2009, 03:20 PM
If you have a price in writing for your part ex, on the contract for the new car they can't back out of it. There are some assumptions there though - if it is not in the same condition at change time as it is now (i.e. accident) they could refuse it or knock your money down, likewise with atypical mileage increases (e.g. if you have a 2 year old car and it has 20K on the clock now, but in 16 weeks time it has 40K on the clock).

With a long time between ordering and delivery of the new one, most dealers will have factored this in when they price your part ex up, giving you less money for when the new one is due vs what they'd part ex for if you were swapping right now.

HHGTTG
27-05-2009, 03:51 PM
If you have a price in writing for your part ex, on the contract for the new car they can't back out of it. There are some assumptions there though - if it is not in the same condition at change time as it is now (i.e. accident) they could refuse it or knock your money down, likewise with atypical mileage increases (e.g. if you have a 2 year old car and it has 20K on the clock now, but in 16 weeks time it has 40K on the clock).

With a long time between ordering and delivery of the new one, most dealers will have factored this in when they price your part ex up, giving you less money for when the new one is due vs what they'd part ex for if you were swapping right now.
Fortunately for them and me I don't do many miles/year usually 6k max. However due to other circumstances so far this year, it has to be a good week if I do 100 miles!
Anyway when they priced my current Golf in February, it had a little over 23k miles on the clock and they wrote 25k on the order form/contract.

ralferoo
28-05-2009, 12:50 PM
Interesting. Just been informed by the dealer that there's a provisional date of week 32 but said it could be moved either way as it's not confirmed yet.

What was more worrying is that he said the factory would be shut over August. I pointed out that this was pretty stupid if there was a big backlog and he just said "well, they do that every year". Grrrreat. Bonus marks for positive customer service.

When I asked how long it took from the build date to delivery, the dealer didn't seem too sure but said maybe 2 weeks, so week 32 + week for build + 2 weeks makes 24th August assuming it's not pushed back. In the light of the factory being shut over August, that seems very likely. When I said, "so, it'll probably be September plates then?" he sounded huffy and said, "Well, if you want to wait that long..." Probably he would rather get me in his 09 plate quota and lose me a months tax and some depreciation over getting a 59 plate for the sake of a week.

Of course, some miracle may happen, I guess...

maisbitt
28-05-2009, 01:38 PM
There's nothing daft about an August shutdown, most manufacturing factorys have one.

There are some jobs that can't be done whilst production is going on, such as planned annual maintenance of equipment, production line changes (to accomodate new machinery etc) and the like.

August is a popular time for most Europeans to want a holiday, so the factory imposes a compulsory holiday period on it's production staff when it will be most convenient to the majority of its workforce.

For the sake of a week, i'd definitely insist on Sept plates - if the car was available anytime after mid July i'd be insisting upon 59 plates. The dealer probbaly wanted your car money for the August figures - it'll be a quiet month for them, but they know they'll hit their targets for Sept and March with it being new plate month.

paul.mgrath
28-05-2009, 02:02 PM
I used to work abroad for many years (before i got married and the missus put the handbrake on!) and i remember we were slated locally for working August (and the weekends apparently they had a big trade union war campaigning for a 35hr week).

If this is the case i have waited since April, theres nothing wrong with my current car so a nice shiny 59 plate on 1st September will do nicely!!

Does anybody know if say it comes early July whether i have to take it or can i tell them to keep it in the showroom for 6 weeks or so

HHGTTG
28-05-2009, 02:29 PM
I used to work abroad for many years (before i got married and the missus put the handbrake on!) and i remember we were slated locally for working August (and the weekends apparently they had a big trade union war campaigning for a 35hr week).

If this is the case i have waited since April, theres nothing wrong with my current car so a nice shiny 59 plate on 1st September will do nicely!!

Does anybody know if say it comes early July whether i have to take it or can i tell them to keep it in the showroom for 6 weeks or so
I shall be in the same boat or rather will have been waiting longer than yourself. I don't know whether I'd be prepared to allow my garage to 'store' my new car for 6 weeks as I'm not chasing those stupid number plate changes (which should be banned in my opinion). If there was, say, a week or so to go, then maybe yes.
And anyway, I thind that this will be my last new car and certainly my last VW in view of this current debacle. I thougth VW would have had a caveat on their website/showrooms warning suckers like me who wanted one of their optional extras (i.e a sunroof).

maisbitt
28-05-2009, 02:29 PM
I don't think they'll keep it for 6 weeks, if they expected delivery of it for mid July. If hey gave you a date of 24th August, and then it turned up 6 weeks early, then you shouldn't have to take it that early. Order it for Sept 1st delivery and they can't make you take it beforehand.

The dealer has to pay VW for the car when they've had it 2 weeks.

paul.mgrath
28-05-2009, 02:33 PM
I'll get the commission number, mail vdub and if its gettin close to sep tell em to hold off registering it.

ralferoo
28-05-2009, 02:55 PM
I know my contract says that I need to collect it within 2 weeks, so if it arrives mid-August I'd be fine to leave it until September.

My contract also states that if the car is delayed for more than 21 days from the estimate (which just says July), I can cancel the contract within 7 days of being informed of this.

Also, possibly of interest to others, it also says that if I was part-exchanging a vehicle but delivery of the new car was delayed beyond 30 days, they could depreciate the value of the part-ex car by 2.5% every 30 days subsequent to this. Sadly for me, I didn't get offered a part-ex as they said they were giving me too good a discount already, although looking at it in percentage terms isn't that great at just 7.5%. I suspect I'll get more in a private sale anyway though, although if I have to wait until September I'll probably have to change the front break discs before I can sell it, so effectively I'd have lost about 20% on the value of the car. :(

ralferoo
28-05-2009, 02:58 PM
I don't think they'll keep it for 6 weeks, if they expected delivery of it for mid July. If hey gave you a date of 24th August, and then it turned up 6 weeks early, then you shouldn't have to take it that early. Order it for Sept 1st delivery and they can't make you take it beforehand.
The 24th August was my estimate based on what he told me today which was based on a provisional build week. My original order at the end April was for July, with the guy verbally telling me mid-July. Given that'd have been 10 weeks and it seems 18 is the norm, end of August would seem more accurate.

maisbitt
28-05-2009, 03:04 PM
Depends upon the part ex.

I just part ex'd a 57 plate 3dr 2.0 TDI 170 Golf GT Sport for a 2.0TDI Scirocco. Got £12000 part ex, they now have it up for £14995. If they sold it for that, they'd get a 25% mark up. It's just under 2 years old, so they don't have to pay out to give the new owner a year's warranty, it's still covered. The only thing they'll have to pay out for is a new tax disc.

That's a better mark up than a new car.

Theres no way i'd pay 15 grand for a 2 year old car that was 19.5 grand (list price) new (I paid 18 grand for it new). Seems that VW dealers are very optimistic with their used car prices, somebody must be paying what the sticker price is, or close to it (mugs!).

They can't not part ex in principle because they gave you a decent discount on the new one. You probably didn't have something they were confident of selling quickly and at the right price.

Most VW dealers like to sell nearly new VWs and trendy non-VW cars such as Mini's, Fiat 500's and TTs.

They generally don't like anything over 4 years old either unless it's rare/special.

What is your "part-ex" by the way?

ralferoo
28-05-2009, 03:10 PM
What is your "part-ex" by the way?
Nothing special - 8 year old Corsa. Cheap to run and pretty reliable, but nothing awe-inspiring.

Another local VW gararge offered £1000 p-ex but a rubbish deal on the Golf. Looking on the web, the typical p-ex price is about £1200, typical private sale about £1500 and dealers seem to be selling them for around £2900 (obviously before negotiations). TBH, anything over a grand is a bonus really as I wasn't expecting it to be worth that.

maisbitt
28-05-2009, 03:19 PM
Your car explains their reluctance to part ex - they wouldn't make enough out of it.

With no part ex, you could have gone with a broker - UKNEWCARS were excellent, I haven't used them since purely because the local dealer pretty much matches their deals and saves me the hassle of going to Lookers in Burnley for pick-up (UKNEWCARS' most local participating VW dealer to me in Newcastle).

You'd generally get 8 to 10% on most VWs, especially Golf, with them or DRIVETHEDEAL.

ralferoo
28-05-2009, 03:38 PM
You'd generally get 8 to 10% on most VWs, especially Golf, with them or DRIVETHEDEAL.Originally, I was going to go with dealdrivers which was 10.4% discount, but I didn't like the idea of someone hooning my brand new car up the motorway from somewhere.

This dealer said they couldn't quite match it and got within £380 once I'd accounted for 12m tax instead of the 6m from dealdrivers. I figured that price was worth paying to have the car trailered to the dealer and have somewhere local to take it back to if I had any problems. It was only when I got home that I realised that £380 in percentage terms had brought the deal down to only 7.5% (and I could have got 8.4% from the closer garage without part-ex). I still got £1400 off the price, so pretty happy but I've learned to know the discount as in pounds as well as percentage in the future...

JJackson
28-05-2009, 05:22 PM
Ordered mine on second week of March and to date still have no confirmed build week. Was originally told week 23 but yesterday was told could be week 32 but this is not definite it could change either way. I was told shutdown for VW was July not August. I also decided to take the sunroof off order to see if this would speed things up but it does not appear to have done so. Dealers cannot get anything definite from VW so we are none the wiser.

Griff449
28-05-2009, 08:08 PM
Well if you want one earlier then you can have mine :)

Wainfleetworld
17-06-2009, 04:34 PM
According to my source the factory(s) are working through their usual shutdowns because of the high demand. Apparently the dealers have been causing mayhem because of disgruntled customers.

With the business deals they are currently offering, beating normally 'cheaper' lease companies by throwing money the way of the dealers, it's no wonder they have a big order book. Hopefully we will all be pleasantly surprised when our cars arrive in pristine condition and early!! :(

HHGTTG
17-06-2009, 04:48 PM
According to my source the factory(s) are working through their usual shutdowns because of the high demand. Apparently the dealers have been causing mayhem because of disgruntled customers.

With the business deals they are currently offering, beating normally 'cheaper' lease companies by throwing money the way of the dealers, it's no wonder they have a big order book. Hopefully we will all be pleasantly surprised when our cars arrive in pristine condition and early!! :(
I hope your source can be relied upon and that cars are not assembled by workers holding a grudge?

zoom
17-06-2009, 04:57 PM
I hope your source can be relied upon and that cars are not assembled by workers holding a grudge?

I can't see any car plant NOT shutting down for the summer hols tbh?!?!

I mean...if I worked at a car assembly plant wherever - no amount of disgruntled new car buyers are gonna stop me enjoying my fortnight away on a sunny beach somewhere!

:beerchug:

HHGTTG
17-06-2009, 05:05 PM
I can't see any car plant NOT shutting down for the summer hols tbh?!?!

I mean...if I worked at a car assembly plant wherever - no amount of disgruntled new car buyers are gonna stop me enjoying my fortnight away on a sunny beach somewhere!

:beerchug:
Precisely!!

jhjerlin
17-06-2009, 05:33 PM
I ordered my Golf VI last Monday and when I asked my dealer about build week and delivery week he told me that it would be built week 32/33, after the two week "factory holiday". The holiday dates had just been announced, he said.
Anyway, the Union would never allow Volkswagen to deprive the workers of their holiday! If it where true, it would be a right mess.

ptolemy
17-06-2009, 06:15 PM
Don't worry. If VW is anything like some of the British manufacturers they'll just employ temporary agency staff who won't be used to putting Golf's together. I'm sure they wouldn't do that though. Would they?????

WeegieBob
17-06-2009, 08:36 PM
I worked in a car factory and there was no way on this earth would the workforce forgo their holidays - however .......

Taking into account the current state of the world market and how German manufacturers are going to be hurting just like everybody else AND the German attitude to the work ethic / quality of life / long term employment I wouldn't be surprised if something hadn't been worked out with the workforce to stagger holidays rather than close down completely.

What's more important - everybody goes on holiday for two weeks and loose millions of Deutschmarks in lost production .... or, stay at work, keep your job secure and some folks go on holiday a couple of weeks later - feels like a no-brainer to me, but what do I know. :)

WeegieBob.

zoom
17-06-2009, 09:36 PM
Don't worry. If VW is anything like some of the British manufacturers they'll just employ temporary agency staff who won't be used to putting Golf's together. I'm sure they wouldn't do that though. Would they?????

So...

the answer is: don't order a Golf - not yet anyway. Wait until the dealer informs you that the workers are all back from laying their towels over every pool sun-lounger in the Med and happily back at the plant!

:D

maisbitt
18-06-2009, 09:15 AM
There are many good reasons for a factory shutdown, and they aren't all related to making sure Helmut gets to pinch all the sunbeds at 4am in Spain for 2 weeks of the year.

There are some maintenance and line modification works that are just too large scale to be done on a weekend, or whilst production is going on. These jobs are planned to be done in the 2 or 3 week factory shutdown. All the lines are cleared a day or 2 before the shutdown starts, so that these cars are not in the way (and therefore don't get dented/scratched etc) when the work begins.

Things such as paint-shop upgrades, production line modifications (new fixed point assembly robots etc) and major annual preventative maintenance scheduling are sometimes crane jobs that require masses of space and 4+ days to get the job done.

I used to work for an engineering contractor at the Ford Transit van plant in Southampton, and those shutdowns were a race against time to get the work done before the Ford workforce were back to make vans.

Staggered shutdowns won't help to keep the plant clear enough to get these big jobs done.

Shutdowns are a neccessary inconvenience, and by making the workforce take half their annual leave at a time that suits the company, this means that these firms have most of their workforce in for the rest of the working year as the employees then have only 2 weeks worth of holidays to submit for the rest of the year.

So the shutdown doesn't mean that VW have stopped work because their workers all wanted to be off in August, and there's no chance that they'll get inexperienced temps in to carry on making cars while the workforce is off.

There is a shutdown because the plant needs to stop production and get on with the jobs that keep the plant running smoothly for the rest of the year (you would'nt let your car go without an oil change for years because you couldn't take the time out to go and get it serviced would you? Think of the shutdown as an annual service on a car).

There's no chance that those workers will work their shutdown through fear of losing their jobs - VW are probably the most solvent auto company in the world right now (they were the most expensive company in the world at one point last year, when their share price spiked), and your demand for their goods means that their order books are healthy.