PDA

View Full Version : Marked Paint

VictorPapa
21-05-2009, 06:03 PM
I collected my GT 140 almost two weeks ago and at the handover, I noticed a scratched rear lens, pearlescent water like marks under the laquer, swirly scratches on the paint, probably from a dirty polish cloth, and a noticeable dirt particle in the paint itself on the NSF wing. I pointed this out at the time and the dealer said they would rectify the problems. I took the car in this week and it has gone off to their bodyshop to get sorted. As I'd arranged to get my car back tomorrow, I spoke to the dealer this afternoon to see if this was still the case. It should still be tomorrow but not until last knockings as the work on the car was more than they had first envisaged. It turns out that the dirt particle appeared to have been on the bare metal and so when it was removed, the hole left by it was down to the metal. This has meant that the wing has had to be resprayed as it is almst impossible to match pearlescent paint.

Now maybe I'm being a little picky here but when I spend £23k on a new car, I don't expect to lose the car for the best part of 4 days and have to have part of it resprayed within a fortnight of having it, through no fault of my own. Surely the dirt in the paint should've been picked up in the checks before the car left the factory, and careless polishing by the dealers' preparing valeters is not really acceptible. Doesn't quality control exist anymore? If it were just a matter of polishing the light scratches out then fair enough, but a respray.....?

If you found yourself in this situation, what would expect the dealership to do? I have my own ideas but would like other's take on it before I go back tomorrow.

machine
21-05-2009, 06:51 PM
with that much work needed on an a brand new car with hard to match paint I'd think I'd be tempted to reject the car.

that said, if the colour was matched properly and looked good under street lighting which generally reveals a bad match I'm sure they could buy me off with cold hard cash.

Now maybe I'm being a little picky

As for that, I don't think you are. it must have passed an inspection at the factory and another at your dealer, it shouldn't have been missed.

iallen1@btinter
21-05-2009, 08:05 PM
reject it, i wouldnt have that, google the sale of goods act 2003, the car has to be free of faults at the time of delivery, if you have finance tell them as well. or get thyem to get the rep out, you will get a new car no problem

ptolemy
21-05-2009, 08:15 PM
From my previous experience working at a VW (and others) dealership I'd say that the dirt particle in the paint was the only factory fault. The pearlescent marks you refer to were sometimes found on the darker cars and were often the result of industrial contamination / fall out from where the car had been parked prior to delivery. You will be lucky to get rid of these without repainting. As for the scratch on the light and swirl marks, likely to be the result of clumsy transportation and crap valeting. Some valeters are great but often their team consists of minimum wage kids who haven't the slightest idea of how to treat a newly painted car. I never let a dealership wash my car when it is taken for service. Anyway, whatever the cause, it is not living up to most peoples idea of a 'new' car. We had people reject cars for less.

VictorPapa
21-05-2009, 08:25 PM
reject it, i wouldnt have that, google the sale of goods act 2003, the car has to be free of faults at the time of delivery, ....... or get thyem to get the rep out, you will get a new car no problem

That was my thought.......shame is I'll have another 10-12 week wait:mad:....without any car this time. I had use of my wife's oldun before but that's gone now too.

I only let the car go to their bodyshop as they indicated that it was only a matter of polishing the scratches out and replacing the rear light lens but I wasn't expecting that the wing would need a respray.

I'm really p'd off that a new car costing in excess of 23k can be like this. I'm not sure what the long term implications of a resprayed wing will be either. I mean, I bought this car, and specced it up, as I have very intention of keeping it for at least 10 years but will this paint job show more as time passes? I'd only had the car for 9 days before it's gone back - I've not named the dealer yet for obvious reasons but depending on how it goes tomorow, I may just do that.

I'm going to call ConsumerDirect first thing tomorrow, along with VW Customer Care, so that I can go to the dealer fully armed with the info I need.

ptolemy
21-05-2009, 09:23 PM
If it's a good enough repair it will wear as well as the other paint. I had a new Polo which had door damage on delivery and ended up having the panel resprayed. After four years it still looked as good as new. Unfortunately only time will tell by which time you may have a five year old car with a faded panel. If you keep the car you need to get it in writing from the dealership that the original factory paint warranty and anti corrosion warranty will be unaffected by this repair. At least then if you get a paint problem they will have to rectify it. I would also suggest that they add in writing that any paint defect beyond the paint warranty period that affects this panel and is obviously the result of the respray should be covered. It's no reassurance but there are lots of people out there driving brand new cars that have been back to the bodyshop before delivery without them knowing. It's a shame that they didn't pick this up and sort it out before you got the car and then you wouldn't have to get upset over what should be a pleasant experience.

iallen1@btinter
21-05-2009, 10:23 PM
you dont need much info honestly, just reject it and as i have already said take the sales of goods act 2003, they will have to change it, and they should let you have your car until the new one comes, my old man had a new 05 polo and after a month he noticed different shades of silver, the rep came and measured the oaint depth, and they wanted to respray it, no chance said my old man so they ordered a new one

RickT
21-05-2009, 10:37 PM
That was my thought.......shame is I'll have another 10-12 week wait:mad:....without any car this time. I had use of my wife's oldun before but that's gone now too.

I only let the car go to their bodyshop as they indicated that it was only a matter of polishing the scratches out and replacing the rear light lens but I wasn't expecting that the wing would need a respray.

I'm really p'd off that a new car costing in excess of 23k can be like this. I'm not sure what the long term implications of a resprayed wing will be either. I mean, I bought this car, and specced it up, as I have very intention of keeping it for at least 10 years but will this paint job show more as time passes? I'd only had the car for 9 days before it's gone back - I've not named the dealer yet for obvious reasons but depending on how it goes tomorow, I may just do that.

I'm going to call ConsumerDirect first thing tomorrow, along with VW Customer Care, so that I can go to the dealer fully armed with the info I need.

One thing to point out, at most VAG reapair centres they only warrant the work carried out for 2 years, so if the affected area looks shabby down the line and discolors you may not have the warranty on that area of the car.

I would call VW Customer Car and ask for advice, the dealer has to put it right for you, free of charge, but that does not help you..

I would assess it when it comes back and do not take the car home if you are not happy about any marks... leave it with them to resolve and request a similar or better demo car for your troubles.

Cheers

Rick

VictorPapa
21-05-2009, 11:32 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys - we'll have to see what transpires tomorrow, but unfortunately, rejecting the car seems to be where this is heading. :(:(

iallen1@btinter
22-05-2009, 06:27 AM
dont let them repair it, its not as though its a 200 pound car

james_tiger_woo
22-05-2009, 08:12 AM
You can't reject the car without giving them "reasonable" time to attempt to rectify it - they might accept it out of goodwill, but you will have to, in writing, tell them that of your concerns and that you intend to reject the car.

Give them reasonable time, say a week, to sort it on the proviso that if they don't, you'll reject the car.

Don't, however, mull on this too long as the longer you leave it the less chance there'll be of you being able to reject it.

maisbitt
22-05-2009, 08:22 AM
I had a rear quarter panel replaced on my 1 month old Golf, when it was parked up properly, but swiped by a bus.

The paint job looked immaculate at the time, but I got a stone chip on it and you could see the paint thickness was less than 1/2 of that from a stone chip on the bonnet.

The wheel arch on that rear quarter panel started to rust on the edges within 10 months of the repair - and this was at a VW approved repairer. The work was only warranted for a year, with a default back to the original manufacturers paint warranty because they are an approved repairer.

This was Benfield Accident repair centre at Railway Street, Newcastle. There were 2 other aspects to the repair they messed up too, but they were obvious from the go.

Another new car I had was a Polo, in Black Pearl. I noticed a small crease in the bodywork, also on the wheel arch, the paint job was complete over it. Looked like a tiny tooling dent when the car had been in it's bare metal prior to painting it. I didn't notice it until the 1/2 time I washed the car (a week after delivery), but the dealership agreed that I hadn't done it.

As they'd missed it ono the PDI, VW wouldn't pay for it and the cost was taken up by the dealership. They did what I thought was a good job, couldn't see the patch they'd painted on the sunny day I collected it, but the patch was so obvious on an overcast day - they took 2 more attempts to get it right, but it was never quite there.

Paint match discrepancies are best seen on an overcast day, or by artificial light when the surroundings are dark.

Pearlescent paints are very difficult to match properly. Unless the car supplier is trusted to do a factory standard job and is prepared to spray everything to match so you don't get a non matching wing definitely reject. Saying that though, if a new car needs that much work to be factory finish perfect, i'd reject the car anyway.

You have enough cause to reject. I would anyway - as the anti-corrosion protection has been breached by the dirt particle.

VictorPapa
22-05-2009, 10:23 AM
dont let them repair it, its not as though its a 200 pound car

I allowed the car to go for repair, that is to have the lens replaced and scratches removed as they were only minor problems. I did NOT agree in any way to the respray. I only found out that it'd been sprayed when I rang to confirm that I'd be collecting today.

maisbitt
22-05-2009, 10:37 AM
Sounds like they've been quite sly here, doing the respray without letting on their intentions when they took the car.

You need to be totally confident that they've done a good job - paint thickness is as important as visually looking right. In a semi translucent paint like one of the lighter metallics and pearlescents, the thickness helps determine the shade - a thin coat will look lighter than the rest of the car and vice-versa.

As they've sprayed the car, if the work is to your satisfaction (check the shade match with the rest of the car, get them to show you paint thickness readings) and appears to be as per factory finish standards then they've rectified the fault and you have no grounds to reject.

If the work is sub-standard then you can still reject.

maisbitt
22-05-2009, 10:39 AM
If everything is ok with it then i'd still be pushing for something - a free service, mats or mudflaps....

They missed something on the PDI and you've been hassled and deprived of your new car for a few days as a result.

iallen1@btinter
22-05-2009, 04:51 PM
you can reject it straight away, a respray isnt reasonable, i have vast experience of this, as i once rejected a polo because the door was chipped, i told then order a new one or money back, so they ordered a new one, dont be soft with them, they cant expect you to have a brand new car sprayed, its a joke

VictorPapa
22-05-2009, 11:26 PM
After speaking at length with Consumer Direct, and also with VW Customer Service, I called my dealer this morning to arrange a meeting for this afternoon with the Brand Manager (top dog at the dealership). I got a call from them this afternoon to say my car had arrived back. My wife and I went straight down and there the GT sat, looking rather resplendent. When meeting with the BM and explaining my dissatisfaction at the whole issue, he called the bodyshop to ascertain exactly what work had been done, and confirmed to me that the anti corrosion warranty etc. would be unaffected. We examined every inch of the car's paintwork, even asking for some extremely light leather smears to be removed. Afterwards, we couldn't fault it. Went back to the BM's office and explained the disappointment in losing my car so soon after taking delivery, and asked what he was planning to do by way of compensation, saying that I had shown loyalty to them as I had previously bought from there, had an equivalent deal from two other dealers but chose them, and also that it was not in my interest to drive 17 miles to them when I have a VW service centre just 2 miles away. After going away for a few minutes, he came back with a large container of washer fluid, and one of engine oil (to be used for top ups between services) in a velco backed case. Also he gave us a bottle of Lanson champagne and also offered a free first service. I asked for him to confirm this in writing, to which he agreed. I'm pleased to get my car back, and it is now in the condition it should've been when I first got it......I can now start enjoying my new car. I have to say that I did rather enjoy the drive home:D

I had considered the advice on this thread and was going to reject the car but having spoken to Consumer Direct, and explaining the situation to them in full, I decided to maybe reconsider this. CD said I had three options in this situation:

1- Repair,
2- Like for like replacement (at a cost), or
3- Refund.

Nos. 2+3 would have left me without a car, and in addition to reordering and waiting 10 to 12 weeks for delivery, because there had been a price rise since I placed the original order, I would have to pay the extra. This apparently is because in law, you are only entitled to the money back that you have paid, or the equivalent. So to order a new car to the spec I have now, I'd have had to shell out up to another £2k.

I think that the decision I have made has been a sensible one because in all honesty, as the law stands, I would've found it extremely difficult to prove (if necessary to a judge if it had gone that far) a entirely valid reason for rejecting the car.

I'm glad it's all over now.......many thanks for all your input, advice and ideas etc.;)

machine
22-05-2009, 11:31 PM
Sounds fair, as long as the car looks as good as new and you're happy then the agro of getting a new one and the cost! don't seem worth it.

That said I'd park it under a street light and look along the flank of the car to make sure the colour match is spot on.

iallen1@btinter
23-05-2009, 08:39 PM
The main thing is that your happy, a bit of oil and a service is not enough, i personally would have had a refund, i think they were fobbing you off about paying more because of the price rise, there are plenty of garages willing to do a deal

VictorPapa
23-05-2009, 11:31 PM
The main thing is that your happy, a bit of oil and a service is not enough, i personally would have had a refund, i think they were fobbing you off about paying more because of the price rise, there are plenty of garages willing to do a deal

Thing is mate, it wasn't the dealer that said about the extra dosh...it was Consumer Direct. And in any case, getting a refund would've probably proved extremely difficult.