PDA

View Full Version : Please Help 1999 Audi A8 - possible electrical/battery problem

Rusch Moore
21-05-2009, 05:27 PM
My question is, how do I know if my Audi's battery is going bad?

So here's the situation... yesterday, my 99 A8 stalled out on me while sitting parked at a bank. everything seemed to be ok, but the battery light was on, although i think that is normal when the car is shut down or dies. i think nothing of it, turn the key and it cranks right up. no problem. i head back to the office and notice it feels like it's downshifting a little funny, or maybe just my paranoia. well, it dies on me again. i turn the key again and it cranks up fine. but, this time the read out on the screen indicating the gear I am in, lights up in reverse format (ie. the letters are all black, but the border around them is lit up). i park the car, go to the office come out later, and it starts right up with no problem and drives fine.

I get in the car this morning to drive to work and the car stalls out on me right outside my house. i turn the key and it cranks right up, i drive it cautiously to work and stop in at an O'Reilley auto parts store to get a price on a battery, in case that is what the problem is (which the quote was about $170, does that sound right?).

With this information, if somebody can diagnose that this sounds like a battery problem or something more serious involving the electrical system or something, please let me know. I've owned the car for about 2 years and have not changed the battery or had any problems with the battery.

I appreciate your help. Thank you.