PDA

View Full Version : sill protectors

golfman2
21-05-2009, 05:05 PM
I wonder if anyone knows where I can get a decent set of sill protectors for my my 2009 mk 6 2.0gt tdi golf.I have the sill covers from vw but they are cheap see through thin plastic and I would like to have something that looks a bit better while not paying the earth for them.I have looked on e-bay but can only find up to mk 5 golf sills.thanks.:confused:

VictorPapa
21-05-2009, 05:37 PM
I've been looking too and like you, could only find ones for up to MK5. The eBay ones I saw are made by Lockwood International and I emailed them to ask if they make any for the Mk6. I'm still waiting for a reply! They do have a number to call if you want to try: 0113 2440070.

I thought that maybe the Mk5 would fit as the door sills seem the same as the 6, although I think that on closer inspection, the Mk5s have a slightly deeper step.

If I hear anything, I'll post on here.

Griff449
21-05-2009, 09:02 PM
lol Same here been looking......................!

It would be useful if some of the site sponsors could tell us when they will be selling aftermarket parts for the MK6....................

As yet no light at the end of the tunnel................. :(

golfman2
22-05-2009, 08:29 AM
thanks everyone I will post any answers here if I find anything.

lesvw123
25-05-2009, 07:56 AM
i wonder if anyone knows where i can get a decent set of sill protectors for my my 2009 mk 6 2.0gt tdi golf.i have the sill covers from vw but they are cheap see through thin plastic and i would like to have something that looks a bit better while not paying the earth for them.i have looked on e-bay but can only find up to mk 5 golf sills.thanks.:confused:
hi vw do a set of sill protectors ,my golf came with a mark on the sill so they ordered a set of these at my request ,free of charge. They are like a plastic tephlon look with a silver stripe you dampen the sill with water then peel the sill protector off its backing and apply to the sill using a hair dryer and a cloth to get rid off any air bubbles ,the heat off the hair dryer sets the glue on the back of the protector ,the result you get is perfectly moulded sill protector which does look good
regards les

james_tiger_woo
26-05-2009, 09:53 AM
How much are these sill covers?

maisbitt
26-05-2009, 12:07 PM
Clear sill covers? Won't they scuff really easily? Sounds like they'll have the appearance of a clear school ruler stuck to the sill. The metal ones of old seem much better.

Alternatively - pick up your feet when getting in or out of the car.

lesvw123
26-05-2009, 12:30 PM
how much are these sill covers?
i am sure they were about £70 that price was mentioned as they were free to me i am not sure
regards les

Griff449
26-05-2009, 01:16 PM
I also prefer the metal ones but if they are not available then I suppose these would be the next best thing. I would say though that regardless of picking your feet up when getting out of the car does not always avoid something catching the sill!

No doubt at some point someone may bring out some metal types that fit the MK6 :)

james_tiger_woo
26-05-2009, 01:49 PM
I'd prefer metal/chrome myself as that way they look nicer and not a piece of plastic...

But then again, I'm a bit of a magpie....

golfman2
30-05-2009, 07:20 AM
well i have bitten the bullet and bought a new set after my main dealer decided that they would give me a refund on the plastic sill protectors.I bought a set of steel and black plastic protectors with golf etched onto them.They are in the accessories page on the vw website and are listed at £173,but for some reason my main dealer said they retailed at £90.30 and after a bit of bargaining I had them for £80,and they look great.

james_tiger_woo
30-05-2009, 08:29 AM
Got any photos of the steel set?

Griff449
30-05-2009, 09:28 AM
Flip how much! I suppose thats the price you pay if you want something that is hard to get hold of at the mo.................. Yes get some pics up!

Am I right in saying the MK5 ones wont fit the MK6 because the body shape of the sill is different?

nwhiteley
30-05-2009, 09:35 AM
Is the correct part number 1K5071305 for these metal sill protectors?

golfman2
30-05-2009, 06:40 PM
[ATTACH]6015[/ATTACH
his is a picture of the front sill protectors,I hope it is ok I have never put a photo in reply before:confused:

golfman2
30-05-2009, 06:58 PM
http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/picture.php?pictureid=1424&albumid=407&dl=1243703479&thumb
hope this works,this is a link to a picture of the sill covers:confused:

Griff449
30-05-2009, 07:11 PM
Hey there it is :) They look the dogs mate but flip expensive..........................

I would love some, keeping an eye on fleabay for some cheaper ones.

bozal
14-09-2009, 09:03 PM
This is quite an old thread but for those of you looking for sill protectors I have been in to Lockwood International in Leeds today and they have used my mark 6 to prepare some templates for front and rear door sills in steel. They will now put them into production and should have them ready to order in a month or so. They were really helpful and make nice products. I will take some photos when they arrive and make them available. I dont know how much they will be but I'm sure they will be better value then VW.

http://www.lockwoodinternational.co.uk/

james_tiger_woo
15-09-2009, 07:50 AM
This is quite an old thread but for those of you looking for sill protectors I have been in to Lockwood International in Leeds today and they have used my mark 6 to prepare some templates for front and rear door sills in steel. They will now put them into production and should have them ready to order in a month or so. They were really helpful and make nice products. I will take some photos when they arrive and make them available. I dont know how much they will be but I'm sure they will be better value then VW.

Is a group buy possible?

bozal
15-09-2009, 07:56 AM
I've made an enquiry about the likely price.

HHGTTG
15-09-2009, 08:52 AM

You beat me to it. I see, therefore that they may be available soon. However, they still just stick on don't they which, I suppose, is better than having to drill holes?

bozal
15-09-2009, 09:02 AM
Yes they will stick on. The templates were based on two pieces for each door. One piece will protect the section just below the rubber trim and the second piece will be the flat section as per the 'Golf' sill protector in the photo earlier in the thread. They can be produced with a variety of etchings but not apparently VW or Golf for legal reasons. I believe the first run will have TSi. Having seen the other products I believe they will look very good and achieve their purpose.

VictorPapa
15-09-2009, 07:17 PM
They will now put them into production and should have them ready to order in a month or so. They were really helpful and make nice products. I will take some photos when they arrive and make them available. I dont know how much they will be but I'm sure they will be better value then VW.

Brilliant news mate, thanks. I called Lockwood in May but they were not too helpful at the time.