PDA

View Full Version : Engine Oil..Help

mohammedpatel
20-05-2009, 08:58 PM
Hi all,
I’ve got a bit of a dilemma n hoping som1 could help. Ive had my car about 6 months now and on the way home from work today the oil warning light came on displaying ‘check oil level’. Ive checked the oil and its at the min mark on the dipstick, only problem is I don’t know which oils been used by the previous owner. Im not technical when it comes to cars so was hoping some1 could help me. Can I simply top up with any diesel engine oil even if the cars had long life engine oil put in before? Pleaseee helpppp som1….

PS. I've got a 55 plate Golf 2.0 GT TDI 140

kenney
20-05-2009, 09:06 PM
Only use engine oil conforming to VW standard 50601 or 50700.

mohammedpatel
20-05-2009, 10:11 PM
Thanks, Can any1 recommend some engine oil?

Ben
20-05-2009, 10:42 PM
Mo,

In the short term, purchase a litre or 2 from your nearest dealer, and keep the bottles. This may not be the cheapest option but it gets you out of your dilemma.

Then with the vw spec that is on the bottles you can shop around for the right stuff at a cheaper price.

There are many oil brands, shell, castrol, total, gulf, mobil, elf etc etc, all will do the correct accredited spec oil, you just need to hunt it out.

mohammedpatel
20-05-2009, 10:55 PM
Mo,

In the short term, purchase a litre or 2 from your nearest dealer, and keep the bottles. This may not be the cheapest option but it gets you out of your dilemma.

Then with the vw spec that is on the bottles you can shop around for the right stuff at a cheaper price.

There are many oil brands, shell, castrol, total, gulf, mobil, elf etc etc, all will do the correct accredited spec oil, you just need to hunt it out.

Cheers mate, will do that. THanks again. Mo