PDA

View Full Version : slow to start when hot - two threads merged as they were the same subject matter.

badgersbits
24-04-2009, 04:23 PM
Hi guys, me and my mechanic friend are both struggling with this one.

Make: VW Model: Golf Engine size/Type: TDI 1.9 Sport
Year: 2004 Mileage: 105,000

Basically, the diagnosis is that my car starts absolutely fine when it is cold-no matter what the weather. However, if i've used it and then turned off the ignition, and then re-use it within half an hour or so it turns over for up to 10 seconds before it starts. I am also getting a bit of a judder in low to mid revs in gears 2 and 3 (obviously not because its just low revs).

I recently had a clutch and fly-wheel replacement, and this problem did start around the same time, but I understand this could be coincidence. I also just had the fuel filter changed, but this made no change.

Any pointers would be greatly received!

Many thanks

ads_ali
29-04-2009, 08:35 PM
hey,
Im experienicing the same issue, it cranks for couple of seconds when its warm. When its cold starts no problem... Can someone please assist...

pjgt-tdi
20-05-2009, 08:32 PM
ive got a 2005 gt tdi 140 brake, it starts perfectly when its cold but when its hot its turns over for a few seconds before starting?? any suggestions?? help would be greatly appreciated.

mossy1.9tdi
11-06-2009, 10:54 PM
im having same problem with 1.9tdi im not sure what the problem is and im interested to find out!!

bobster107
20-06-2009, 09:20 PM
normal bud, ive drove loads of them and they all do it.;)

stoke1959
05-07-2009, 08:24 PM
I have a MK5 Golf 1.9 tdi that has the same problem(No problem when cold starting, but when hot engine has to turn over several times before it will start): I was told it may be the coolant sensor. I replaced it but it made no difference.

Anyone out there any idea what the problem might be?

ben911t4
13-07-2009, 10:10 AM
HI,

I also have the same problem with a Mk V 1.9 tdi, it seems to be worse the faster you drive it. Mine has been remapped to about 135 bhp though, so dont know if that has anything to do with it.

Also i've had the temp sensor/sender? changed and that hasnt made a difference... I'm about to call VW technical so will report on my findings.

pjgt-tdi
13-07-2009, 10:21 PM
its the starter, ive replaced mine with a new one from vw and problem is solved. even though it doesnt sound like a lazy starter, it more than likely is. the way you'll know is to disconnect the coolant temperature sensor (located on flywheel side of engine below the thermostat housing when the engine is hot and start it then, it'll start after barely turning the key,u may need to remove air filter housing to get at the sensor). the starter itself is simple to replace,no need for main dealer and a 60 euro labour charge.the ecu needs to reach a pre determined flywheel speed before it injects diesel and when its hot there is more resistance in the engine so it takes a few cranks to reach the required rpm. no way of bypassing it either.

shongola
17-11-2009, 03:27 PM
I have this exact problem too. Did you sort it out? Really sad about my Golf at the moment. :mad:

shongola
17-11-2009, 03:29 PM
its the starter, ive replaced mine with a new one from vw and problem is solved. even though it doesnt sound like a lazy starter, it more than likely is. the way you'll know is to disconnect the coolant temperature sensor (located on flywheel side of engine below the thermostat housing when the engine is hot and start it then, it'll start after barely turning the key,u may need to remove air filter housing to get at the sensor). the starter itself is simple to replace,no need for main dealer and a 60 euro labour charge.the ecu needs to reach a pre determined flywheel speed before it injects diesel and when its hot there is more resistance in the engine so it takes a few cranks to reach the required rpm. no way of bypassing it either.

Would this show as a fault on vag-com?

badgersbits
17-11-2009, 08:17 PM
Hi

Thanks to everyone for their reply to this by the way (been meaning to say that for a while).

Bad news is i still haven't solved it. I did get a bit further though- have a mechanic friend who has a friend who has a contact at a VW dealer. Apparently it is a rare problem and can be either the starter motor or another part (sorry- i forgot which). Rather than shell out for both and hope it solves the problem, i've decided to do neither, make sure my breakdown cover ius up to date, and see if it gets any worse- it hasn't yet.

Hope this helps in part

Badgersbits

nevo
17-11-2009, 11:37 PM
This is a very common problem,poor warm starting,some guys have pinned it down to slower cranking speed from the starter motor,but I'm not convinced try disconnecting the temp sender when warm and it should fire up instantly suggesting to me its software? if it was the starter it would do it all the time?the car in question my end is a 2.0 tdi bkd engine takes a good few seconds to fire when warm,only a minor inconveniece but annoying.if you find a solution a lot of people will be happy.

Ben
18-11-2009, 10:49 PM
i had the same warm start conditions.

under warranty, vw replaced the battery, starter motor and main positive and negative leads, i'm assuming the leads that go to the starter.

there is a very long thread on this (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=76546).

Ben
18-11-2009, 10:51 PM
there is a very long thread on this (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=76546)

Ben
18-11-2009, 10:54 PM
I merged these two threads because they were the same problems.

did you know there is a search facility? you may get answers quicker if you were to use it.

nevo
18-11-2009, 11:49 PM
Had read the thread before and some on other sites where guys have changed the starter and sorted the problem,what I cant get my head round is if a starter is under performing you would think it would give problems when cold as well as hot! I dont doubt you've fixed it, i'm just trying to get a handle on the problem,I'd expect to get more than 50k out of a starter surely!

Ben
18-11-2009, 11:58 PM
my starter had covered 74k its a 53 reg golf

nevo
19-11-2009, 10:39 AM
I've had a starter working perfectly at over 140k,the point I'm making is with a warm engine it needs cranking for maybe three seconds disconnect the temp sender and she fires instantly,codding the ecu into thinking the engine is cold makes for a perfect start,even in the depths of winter cold starts are perfect.You would think the demands on the starter in winter would highlight any defficiency in the starter?? Seems its a common problem by the number of threads, Does the ecu control cranking speed???

Ben
19-11-2009, 03:38 PM
i was under the impression that the strength of the battery controled the crank speed. The weaker the battery, the slower the crank.

pjgt-tdi
26-11-2009, 03:01 PM
no fault code showed when i got mine plugged into. volkswagen were supposed to have recalled them under warranty but as i bought mine second hand , the previous owner hadnt bothered going back with it and it wa out of warranty when i bought it.

pjgt-tdi
26-11-2009, 03:04 PM
no fault code showed up

nevo
01-12-2009, 01:16 PM
Has anyone out there tried the so called" hammond mod" (from some of our american cousins) basically its a relayed interrupter on the temp sensor, works off the starter solenoid supply interupting the temp sensor signal, to tell the ecu the engines cold giving a perfect start when hot !I fully understand the problem of cranking speed,basically Im a tight wad,cant justify a new starter and maybe battery for whats just an annoying inconvenience,your thoughts would be grateful