PDA

View Full Version : How To remove inner door card and get to lock

adzul
20-05-2009, 01:25 PM
Hi

I have an 02 golf estate - rear near side door lock does not operate on central locking. It tries - little pulse from motor but not enough to lock the door.
I'm thinking lock mechanism needs a bit of tlc. (it was knackered Ihad to replace it)

Below is step by step (for rear door) I worked out, with Kenneys invaluable assistance,(Pint is behind the bar matey). I've written it out so whoever searches for this in the future gets a helping hand. Sorry no pics phone lens cracked.

Remove door card by undoing fixings on door bottom and hidden inside door grab handle (pop cover off)

Lower window to bottom, behind plastic access cap in door carrier is window glass support bracket. Pane is held in by two part plastic peg. Off white plastic surrounded by blue plastic support bracket. Both cylindrical part of peg need to be removed before window can be removed. Using a drift knock the middle peg out it will drop down into the bottom of the door. I used an 8 mm masonry drill bit (hitting the tip with hammer) it needed more of a clout than i wanted to give it (a drop of wd40 helped matters along) then use a wider drift to knock outer clip out.
Next is seal around glass, to get the pane out you need to remove the piece of metal holding in the quarter-light. This is secured with 2 bolts. First is directly below the window separator bar, it is found beneath a rubber cup on the inside of the door. Second fixing is accessed from the door end, below the door lock is a large plastic cap - pop it off and find a 10mm nut. Right now grab the seal that seals around the window and pull it out of the channel in the door, work around the top of the window opening then free off the quarter-light separator bar. Grab the seperator bar and pull it down (it slides down into the door) as you pull it down you can see a peg ontop of the bar that locates inside the door top. Once the tab is below the seal you can pull the whole bar up and out of the door, the whole seal and bar can then hang on the door outside. The window pane can now be pulled out of the door.

Next you have to release the lock mechanism from the handle. Looking at the door end on you can see the black lock, there are 2 torx bolts that secure the lock to the door - next to these fixings just underneath the door seal is an access hole you can see a gold nut.
Hold the door handle open > Using a torx driver loosen the gold coloured nut, DO NOT REMOVE IT (or the handle back bracket will fall into the door) As you loosen the gold nut wiggle the cover next to the handle it will come out.
You can see cable that operates the lock in the handle, lift the plastic tag out of the handle groove and you have freed the lock from the handle.

Then remove the two torx bolts that secure the lock in the door. Then remove the green bolts that hold the door carrier onto the door. Lift the carrier clear lock mechanism is revealed at last :)

Don't forget to pick the window securing pegs out of the door bottom. Reassembly is just a reverse of above.

kenney
20-05-2009, 04:54 PM
The door handle must be removed,and the screws for the door lock removed,the lock is attached to the carrier

adzul
21-05-2009, 04:07 PM
thanks kenney

ok removed the door lock fixings - how do i get the handle off??

coverplate on RHS as you look at rear n/s door handle does not move much if i try and lever it off - don't want to screwdriver the paintwork:1zhelp:

'zul

kenney
21-05-2009, 05:14 PM
There is a torx screw on the side of the door,do not screw it completey out,and when screwing it out hold the handle out,screw it far enough so that you can pull the cover plate out,then you pull out the wire to the door lock,if you have a problem send your e-mail address and i will send you the diagram

brskovo
26-05-2009, 01:58 AM
Hi,I have same problem with my 2004 Golf.I can't remove a cover on driver's door to replace door lock cylinder.I've loosen a bolt but nothing hapens.