PDA

View Full Version : mk4 1.8t judders no power, turn engine off for a while and it stops!

orchardchrisp
20-05-2009, 10:09 AM
hi there hope some one can help with this one!!

driving along for a short while then the car started to judder heavely if i tried to accelerate it would not ( mounts fine though!!) i then decided that i was not going to make it to where i was going so pulled over, smelt exhaust fumes which was strange , thought i could probably get the car home, which i did juddering heavily all the way, popped the bonnet and seemed very hot around the exhaust manifold, hot crackling. i left the car for a while and then after that the car has been ok. until recently!!

before all this happened i had been to vw because i thought that there was mounts or some problem because when i accelerated of let off power in certain situations the car was a bit jerky not as smooth as usual, came to the conclusion that it was probably a combination of new clutch and old mounts.

my temp gauge has also been fluctuating a bit will rearly be at 90, seems to stick at 80 and go up and down a bit.

now yesterday was driving up an small hill on the motorway went to overtake footdown felt that here was not propper power there, carried on for a little bit before the engine began to judder heavely again, i then put the clutch in and gave the engine a small rev could clearly feel that it was the engine juddering, again felt like i was just about to breaak down, so pulled over engine off then waited, few minutes later managed to pull off and get home!!!! getting very confused about what it could be!!!

thought about blocked exhaust perhaps bits floating around suddenly blocking exhaust, then when i stop they drop down and clear, ( because of the exhaust smell on the first incident) i know for a fact that i have a small blow on the gasket from the turbo to the cat, could this be an indication??

also thought, amplifier, maf (prob not) coils the thing is it is not constant! think i have a thermistat problem (as i mentioned the fluctiatin temp gauge!

confused as i am!!!!!!!!

look forward to your replies may thanks chris!!!!!!

Crasher
20-05-2009, 10:42 AM
So it is a pre 2001 with an AGU engine?

orchardchrisp
20-05-2009, 11:04 AM
hello, yes it is a w reg 2000, AGU engine

Crasher
20-05-2009, 01:53 PM
From what you are describing it is either the ignition amplifier or one or more of the coil packs. Unfortunately replacing either one or the other normally results in the new part(s) failing and you end up going around in circles replacing the same parts over and over again. I have found the only sensible way to deal with this is to fit a new amplifier and four new coil packs, all of a well known brand such as genuine, Bosch or Beru as there is some terrible rubbish out there ont tinterweb.

slim1986
21-05-2009, 12:37 AM
interesting,how much would a new ignition amp and four bosch coil packs cost??

Crasher
21-05-2009, 08:47 AM
The coil packs are part number 058 905 105 and they are £40 each genuine but less from companies like GSF and the amplifier is 4D0 905 351 and £140 genuine but Bosch are available aftermarket for much less, if I remember correctly about a third of that.

orchardchrisp
21-05-2009, 03:15 PM
so would the ignition amplifier or coil packs be intermitent like thay have been, also would it make the car judder to the point that i had to pull over because i thought the car would break down?

Crasher
21-05-2009, 05:20 PM
The amp failing can be intermittent as can the coil packs.

orchardchrisp
22-05-2009, 11:38 AM
thanks very much for the reply, will have a look into it and let you know how i get on!!