PDA

View Full Version : Does this engine sound bad YOUTUBE VIDEO LINK?

nickeym1
18-05-2009, 11:12 PM
Held my phone right up to the rocker cover and recorded this is what it sounded like can anyone advise me if it sounds bad and if so what could be the problem. Its an a4 1.9tdi year 2003 heres the link to the vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l36rEh8re_g&feature=channel_page

Also noticed today that the engine management light does not come on when i switch ignition on anyone any ideas about that?

And heres a link to the other thread explaining the problems im having
http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=69956

Any help would be much appreciated

nickeym1
19-05-2009, 10:23 PM
come on fellas can anyone give me any info here. anyone with a b6 1.9 tdi be able to do youtube vid and let me hear the difference

RickT
19-05-2009, 10:41 PM
Sounds rough... tapping like mad...

Is it misfiring at all on idle?

Is the engine light on?

Have you had the fault codes read?

What level is the oil?

When did the noise start?

ali_a4_avant
19-05-2009, 10:50 PM
How many miles has it done?

nickeym1
19-05-2009, 10:51 PM
Sounds rough... tapping like mad...

Is it misfiring at all on idle?

Is the engine light on?

Have you had the fault codes read?

What level is the oil?

When did the noise start?
Cheers for the reply mate. Engine is running a little rough at idle but im putting that down to the engine mount needs changing no misfire no lack of power engine light does not even come on when i switch on ignition lights i think bulb must have been removed or blown maby (doubt it though) had in vw garage and done diagnostic said all that showed up was fault in air mass metre but he said this was probly due to me changing the air filter myself?? And engine oil level is ok not over filled vw garage done the oil change same time. they also said theres a leak in tandem pump oil and diesel

nickeym1
19-05-2009, 10:52 PM
How many miles has it done?
130000 miles mate

nickeym1
20-05-2009, 06:07 PM
well fellas whats the bad news :(

nickeym1
20-05-2009, 09:51 PM
yas aint forgetting bout me are yas fellas :)

Jay4
21-05-2009, 01:04 AM
No offence mate, but rather then asking people on here why dont you just take it to garage and ask them.

My 2 pennys worth is I have a 2001 A4 and it doesn't sound anywhere near as bad as that, so just get it booked in, as piece of mind.

nickeym1
21-05-2009, 12:05 PM
No offence mate, but rather then asking people on here why dont you just take it to garage and ask them.

My 2 pennys worth is I have a 2001 A4 and it doesn't sound anywhere near as bad as that, so just get it booked in, as piece of mind.
No offence taken mate but i am trying to find out what the problem is so i can go to the garage and get the work done. I have no problem bringing it to garage to get the work done but i want to know whats wrong so the garage cant rip me off as they have done before i am not a rich man and do not trust garages

ali_a4_avant
21-05-2009, 02:04 PM
No offence taken mate but i am trying to find out what the problem is so i can go to the garage and get the work done. I have no problem bringing it to garage to get the work done but i want to know whats wrong so the garage cant rip me off as they have done before i am not a rich man and do not trust garages
You could get the garage to give you his opinion, them post the results on here. Tell the garage you want a 2nd opinion, and in the mean time you might find you will get more of a response on here.

nickeym1
21-05-2009, 08:20 PM
You could get the garage to give you his opinion, them post the results on here. Tell the garage you want a 2nd opinion, and in the mean time you might find you will get more of a response on here.
Will do and will get back with results hopefully not too painful

Jay4
21-05-2009, 11:32 PM
It shouldn't cost anything just to ask a mechanic his oppinion on the matter, at least then you'll have alot better idea what it could be. Eitherway I hope it isn't something to bad, good luck.

nickeym1
24-05-2009, 01:12 PM
It shouldn't cost anything just to ask a mechanic his oppinion on the matter, at least then you'll have alot better idea what it could be. Eitherway I hope it isn't something to bad, good luck.
Cheers mate bringing back to vw garage tomo get fault code done will this tell me if there is something serious wrong with engine as in rings or bearings or does the diagnostic just tell me about sensors and smaller problems