PDA

View Full Version : VW Polo 1.4 Sport '02 plate

trigger
12-01-2006, 05:05 PM
Getting an intermittent engine management warning light coming on. It has been happening on/off for a couple of months, VW dealer does not appear concerned when mentioned at recent service and no solution offerred.

Any ideas, solutions?

Also, does this engine have a belt cam or chain cam, I forgot to ask the service desk this.

Thanks,

Triggs

Sam
13-01-2006, 10:15 AM
Getting an intermittent engine management warning light coming on. It has been happening on/off for a couple of months, VW dealer does not appear concerned when mentioned at recent service and no solution offerred.

Any ideas, solutions?

Also, does this engine have a belt cam or chain cam, I forgot to ask the service desk this.

Thanks,

Triggs Triggs, You've not said when or under what circumstances the light comes on making it a little hard to diagnose. Do you have access to VAG-COM software? Do you know if the dealership clears the fault, or just ignores it?

My wife had a lot of problems with her '03 Ibiza 1.4 16v (perhaps the same engine as your car - I'm not 100% sure)throwing codes and CELs. It was finally tracked down to a faulty engine speed sensor which kept cutting all power to the engine. It would come on at any given moment, cut power and drive (steering, brakes etc) and then, as if nothing had happened it would come back to life again.

I'm purely guessing though - let's have some more info and maybe you'll get some proper advice!

Sam

trigger
13-01-2006, 10:30 AM
Hi Sam,

Thanks for the info and apologies for the vague question.

It is actually my wife's car and the light comes after engine start up and remains on until engine switch off e.g. travel 6 miles to local Tesco no light. Return from Tesco and light comes and stays on until home.

Next start up no light, and so on it is intermittent and unpredictable.

There has been no loss of power just the light.

When I took her car for a service I mentioned the problem but to my knowledge (I should have asked) they did not not hook the car up any diagnostic equipment, the attitude was more 'its not a problem, don't worry about it'. The car has done 40k now and always VW dealer service.

It is more of an annoyance but could there be an underlying serious problem.

Do you know if it is belt or chain cam as I hear VWs have a problem with belt cams?

Cheers,

Triggs

Sam
13-01-2006, 07:05 PM
Not sure if the problems you mention will throw codes.

My best advice is to get it hooked up to a VAG-COM to see if there is any real problems.

Do you know anyone who has one?