PDA

View Full Version : Dynamic suspension

uncleTom
18-05-2009, 12:33 PM
I can see from the signatures of various posters that some people here have the "dynamic suspension" option but haven't seen any comments on it.

Do those with it find it useful, effective and value for money?

I currently have an S-line A4(B7) and find the suspension a bit hard on our rough city roads and am considering the dynamic suspension on the next, possibly imminent, change of vehicle.

troc
18-05-2009, 01:00 PM
I had it on the S4 I ordered for the 2 days I had it before it went back - and will have it again on the replacement car.

I think it's excellent. On the comfort setting, it really smooths the roads out and makes for a seriously relaxing motorway cruise although the minute you try anything more interesting, it starts to wallow a little before firming up a tad (at least I got the feeling it was firming up a little to compensate for the cornering). On the auto setting, you can feel it relax on the motorways and then firm up quite a lot on the twisty stuff.

The dynamic setting is quite definitely hard and you feel every bump and hole in the road but it's firm through the corners and really really feels grippy.

I reckon that even if you never drive in a "sporty" way, it's worth it for the motorway cruise comfort alone - especially if you do a lot of motorway miles. I had a loaner for a few days and the normal suspension is much more "crashy" than the dynamic suspension in both comfort and auto modes.

John.

uncleTom
18-05-2009, 01:42 PM
Thanks for that reply. It sounds like the range of the system is surprisingly wide between "wallow" and "hard". Am I right in thinking that you can actually set a "custom" firmess per wheel?

The other thing I would worry about is whether it makes the routine servicing more expensive.

SportyB8
18-05-2009, 02:28 PM
Yep agree with troc, after the B&O sound system it's the next best option IMO.

Feels like driving 3 different cars!

Scott

ScottyUK
18-05-2009, 02:53 PM
I'm about to reorder my car and I wanted to test this off first. On Saturday I went for a test drive. The car (a manual) also had dynamic steering.

Switching to comfort was genuinelly like changing road surface. The difference was amazing. My 8 month pregnant wife really appreciated it!!

Dynamic is hard. Cats eyes are really felt. We couldn't agree on auto. She said harder than our Sports Suspension and I thought a little softer although that could be because it changes or it could be as we have 19" wheels and the test car had 18".

Changing modes also affects the throttle senstivity and steering weight and directness (if you also go for dynamic steering).

I wanted to play with the personal settings but it wasn't showing in MMI!!! It was a car with B&O, Nav etc so it should have been there but it simply wasn't. I even pulled out the manual.

For a family car that's occasionally used for a bit of sporty fun then it seems an ideal solution.

I've added it to our order :D

p.s. Does anyone know what it does to the ride height? Is it the same as a normal A4 or it is like an S-line with 20mm drop? :confused: I didn't noticed it being high but I don't want a car with 19" wheels looking like it's up on stilts!!

Devlish
18-05-2009, 02:56 PM
I'm about to reorder my car and I wanted to test this off first. On Saturday I went for a test drive. The car (a manual) also had dynamic steering.

Switching to comfort was genuinelly like changing road surface. The difference was amazing. My 8 month pregnant wife really appreciated it!!

Dynamic is hard. Cats eyes are really felt. We couldn't agree on auto. She said harder than our Sports Suspension and I thought a little softer although that could be because it changes or it could be as we have 19" wheels and the test car had 18".

Changing modes also affects the throttle senstivity and steering weight and directness (if you also go for dynamic steering).

I wanted to play with the personal settings but it wasn't showing in MMI!!! It was a car with B&O, Nav etc so it should have been there but it simply wasn't. I even pulled out the manual.

For a family car that's occasionally used for a bit of sporty fun then it seems an ideal solution.

I've added it to our order :D

p.s. Does anyone know what it does to the ride height? Is it the same as a normal A4 or it is like an S-line with 20mm drop? :confused: I didn't noticed it being high but I don't want a car with 19" wheels looking like it's up on stilts!!

I just love it :)

It is like the sport suspension with a 20 mm drop, the s-line suspension is a 30mm drop.

ScottyUK
18-05-2009, 06:05 PM
Excellent!

I can't wait to go from front wheel drive and sports suspension to quattro and dynamic ! :D

uncleTom
22-05-2009, 09:39 AM
ScottyUK, I'd be interested in your assessment of the dynamic suspension when you get your new "horseless carriage"

ScottyUK
22-05-2009, 10:07 AM
No probs. It'll be a month or so yet. I hope my ownership experience matches my test drive option as posted above ;)

Jop
22-05-2009, 10:16 AM
I have this coming on my quattro avant also.. Very excited by the good reviews.
@ scotty - I'm glad your car is a different colour or they may get yours and mine mixed up
Did you choose Full drive select or just the adaptive sus?

ScottyUK
22-05-2009, 02:14 PM
Just the suspenders!

I didn't think the steering option was worth £700-900.

I'd I'd gone with the S4 it would have been the full system with sport diff and sport seats etc but it ended up being £8k more which is crazy!!

RobbieM
15-04-2020, 07:41 PM
I have a supplementary question, can you still fit Lowering Springs if your car is fitted with Dynamic Suspension?