PDA

View Full Version : Upper hub bolt - siezed?

vwmark
30-03-2007, 09:56 PM
Tried to change both my CV boots but the upper cv bolt was siezed solid on both sides - can't apply heat as this will melt the ball joint rubbers. Soaked in WD40 and I could feel the bolt begiining to twinst rather than undo - anyone lese had this?

Sam
31-03-2007, 11:46 AM
Oh yes.

You're far from alone mate.

A search for "Pinch bolt" on www.Passatworld.com will drop your jaw.

When I swapped out my suspension my fronts took at least a few hours due to seized bolts. I had to use a BFH and a punch and a lot of abuse.

skye boat man
01-04-2007, 05:36 PM
I've just removed the pinch bolt on my 2000 Passat (NS and 132k miles) and it came out without a great deal of fuss. I just soaked it with WD40, undone the nut and tapped the threaded end of the bolt with a soft faced hammer and turned the bolt with a spanner at the same time. Each time I got a bit of movement, I skooshed some more WD40. I'm beginning to think there might be a bit of luck involved.

Davie.

chrispclover
01-04-2007, 07:45 PM
I've just removed the pinch bolt on my 2000 Passat (NS and 132k miles) and it came out without a great deal of fuss. I just soaked it with WD40, undone the nut and tapped the threaded end of the bolt with a soft faced hammer and turned the bolt with a spanner at the same time. Each time I got a bit of movement, I skooshed some more WD40. I'm beginning to think there might be a bit of luck involved.

Davie.
Hi, I've just done the same job and had the same problem with seriously seized bolts. I freed mine by using a ball pein hammer on the solid centre section between the two slots. Soak it and avoid shearing the head off the bolt. You will find after 30 seconds with a hammer the bolt will start to free off and you will be able to rotate it slightly . Be patient !

Regards, Chris

chrispclover
01-04-2007, 08:32 PM
Tried to change both my CV boots but the upper cv bolt was siezed solid on both sides - can't apply heat as this will melt the ball joint rubbers. Soaked in WD40 and I could feel the bolt begiining to twinst rather than undo - anyone lese had this?
If you wish you can always remove the Driveshaft without touching the seized upper bolt. Just disconnect the one lower arm (not the one that has the nut on the underside of the swivel housing) and you can then remove the driveshaft the easy way !

Regards, Chris

Sam
02-04-2007, 12:16 PM

Davie.

You've just been crossed off my Christmas Card list :biglaugh:

vwmark
02-04-2007, 11:03 PM
Just ordered the bolts from deler and the hub bolts - £8.50 each hub bolt - nowonder they want you to change them!. after I posted the message I found another thread. I was not sure the bolt was screwed into the arm or if it was a pure pinch bolt - now I know this it should be OK. First time had me pi$%ed off being a Mech. ENG BUT NOT GIVING IN!

henry raison
13-05-2008, 07:08 PM
My were sized solid but i just kept unscrwing the head nut with a breaker bar until the head sheared then used the nut and washer on the threaded end and tightened the nut /hit the arm with hammer/tightened a bit more etc until it freed off..Had to renew bolts anyway anyway and replaced with lots of water repellant grease;).

Henry

daveo138
13-05-2008, 08:53 PM
I replaced both of my CV boots without undoing any suspension bolts.

This was out of necessity, as I couldn't undo them.

Re: the cost of the hub bolts, they come with the genuine boot kit, along with the grease and clips, for about £25 per side.

thecuban
14-05-2008, 05:59 AM
I too couldn't get mine undone but got the axils out with the suspension and steering joints intact.