PDA

View Full Version : A4 V6 starting problem

fingers mclean
17-05-2009, 08:24 PM
Hi Guys i was wondering if anyone could help i have a A4 2.6 v6 se its quite a old model 1996 but i have a slight problem sometimes when i try to start the car it revs for seconds then shuts off after 2 or 3 turns its starts fine..Its dosn't do it all the time just annoying when it happens.It drives great so no problems there either..Anyone got any ideas?? Thanks Ali:beerchug:

carlos2009
19-05-2009, 06:50 AM
hi
I am the same problems but mine will not start after 2 or 3 times..
turn the key rev it up and thats it (dead) keeps doing this until the battery dies.
put the key in the ignition turn it to on and thier is lights flashing everywhere..
a small round light with a car and a key flashing then the fuel,water & hazard lights in the centre of the dash are flashing constantly also the clifford red light will not go off..
had a look under the rear seat and thier are 2 wires with A & B on which i believe lead to the fuel pump in the boot underneath the spare tyre.. but they are both unplugged... i can smell fuel so i dont think its the fuel thats the issue please help i dont know what to do . gettin sick of charging the battery lol
thanks carl:confused:

rickyboy
19-05-2009, 12:41 PM
Your immobiliser is playing up. There is a fix which involves tucking a wire which runs loose behind the steering wheel shroud. Just remove the shroud and you should see it running from the wheel to the back of the instrument cluster. If I remember rightly it has a plastic holder for the wires (don't quote me on that), just tuck that away behind the shroud and make sure when the wheel turns it doesn't pull on it.

If you need a temporary fix - straighten the steering wheel before trying to start the car.

fingers mclean
19-05-2009, 01:12 PM
Hi rickyboy is this a reply to my question or carlos . . . Thanks again Ali

rickyboy
19-05-2009, 03:35 PM
Both really. Sounds like you both have the same problem - if the car starts then immediately stops afterward then its very likely you have an immobiliser problem. Read the other posts for immobiliser problems and you should find some more detailed answers on the fix. The problem most likely lies behind the steering wheel shroud. Theres a couple of wires that get pulled - you need to tuck them away.

carlos2009
22-05-2009, 07:01 PM
thanks for the reply
took away the cover underneath the steering wheel and found 2 thick wires (1) white/blue (2) white/green both taped together and looked like they had been snapped.. also there was a very thin red wire which was leading to a small black box....
god there are lots of ****** boxes and wires under here lol..
:aargh4: