PDA

View Full Version : Mk5 Windscreen Wipers Fault

naz5
17-05-2009, 07:40 PM
Hi guys, i have a mk5 1.6 fsi, This has probably been raised before, but was wondering if anyone can give me advice,:1zhelp:

The front wipers wont work, as soon as im on the move as in driving, wipers come back to life:confused:, then wen im stationary it stops working,:(

i read a few places that the mk5 wipers dont work if the bonnet is open, , but if the bonnet is open and you drive off then they revert to default working, is that correct?

Y im askin that is i currently av the bonnet is open light on my dash illuminated all the time on my car, even when the bonnet is shut, can that be related? cars thinking bonnet is open and so when stationary it dont work, but when im moving it reverts to default?

any one know how to fix this bonnet is open light, once in a while it is off then suddenly itl com back, please guys im really strugling, cheers

onzarob
17-05-2009, 08:29 PM
New bonnet switch to start with and go from there, you wiper won't work if the car thinks the bonnet is open.

Just hoping it will go away won't fix it, you need to get your hands dirty or pay someone. from your post you have all the clues ;)

Ben
18-05-2009, 09:31 PM
as rob says...

you have a faulty bonnet switch so the car thinks it is open so the wipers won't work.

Unless you are getting confuse dwith the auto wipe. if wipers are set to constant, they will stop what the car is stationary and resume on movement.

naz5
19-05-2009, 06:40 PM
ok kool, thanks guys wil be looking to replace the switch, i did take it off n put it back on but no change, and i dont have auto wipers so i can rule that one out. you guys know how much it'd be for the part?
also the switch is that the same as the bonnet catch? as in under the bonnet?
please reply guys, as evey single topic iv ever started, always have the same few people that know wats going on, yep you two are like the forum owners.

Keep the good work up

onzarob
19-05-2009, 08:00 PM
you two are like the forum owners.

Keep the good work up

Nope we are Moderators, Stuarts the owner ;) We just happen to own MK5 Golfs and read allot of posts :D

You could unplug the switch and short the contacts to see if the wipers then work ;)

switch part number is 1j0 953 236 b just ring a vw dealer for a price :D

davyrob32
21-05-2009, 08:16 AM
Naz,
This recently happened to my mk5. I tried to eliminate the fault by doing what rob said and unplugged the switch and crossed the poles out and it didn't fix the wipers so that's not a good test. You need to replace the bonnet switch at the catch. It cost about £17 + vat.

Spacey885
29-12-2010, 09:56 PM
Hi guys,
I've just been searching for this as I have the same problem. The difference for me is, I don't have a warning light telling me my bonnet is open.

I have an 06 GTI......is it possible that the Bonnet Open Warning message was an update after 2006??

Also....even though my wipers start working when the car gets over about 10mph the water jets don't. You can't hear the water pump either. The rear wiper/jets work fine all the time.

I guess i'll try the bonnet switch anyway and see what happens.

phil miller
29-12-2010, 10:18 PM
All mk5 golfs have a bonnet open sign on the dash, even my 04 plate does i would say you have a blown fuse thats why your washers arent working either, it will more than likely be the fuse in the fuse box by the battery (there is also one in the dash) on mine i think its number 29 iirc

Spacey885
30-12-2010, 12:03 AM
Thks for the reply.
I did check the fuses and they were fine. Which is what I expected to be honest........the wipers wouldn't be working at all if that had blown.
I've just removed the connector from the microswitch for the bonnet and the wipers/jets kicked into life.
So seems to be the switch but still no warning for leaving the bonnet open......even when I removed it out of circuit.