PDA

View Full Version : Radweld - Good or bad?

wg100
30-03-2007, 08:30 PM
Have a slight leak in my radiator (mk2 golf GL) most likely due to a
bit of corrosion. When the engine is hot and there is pressure in the
coolant system, then it ****** out of the hole and after around 2
trips I'm left having to refill the coolant system.
If I use radweld, would I be shooting myself in the foot over the
potential £60 saving?
Should I just take the hit and get a new radiator?

onzarob
30-03-2007, 08:44 PM
It depends on the car really, the prefered option is a new radiator, but rad well can help, as your car is old, then i wouldn't worry and use radweld.

If its mint condition, the get a new radiator.....or if iwas a newer golf or audi then I would put in a new radiator.

I used on my old Pug and it didn't show a leak again before i sold it (2 Years)

Rob

Timbo
31-03-2007, 10:07 AM
Had a leak on the front grille of my wife's Maverick caused by a stone. Plugged the hole with precision araldite, left it to set for 12 hrs, refilled using radweld and it's still going strong 2 yrs later!!!

ghee60
31-03-2007, 12:32 PM
Bars Stop Leak is better imo than rad weld, both are jus generally evil tho id go new rad anyday, or as timbo has done use araldite to plug the hole

popeye
24-04-2007, 09:31 PM
Have you thought of going to a breakers yard?

Try and get a radiator from a newer car than yours and chances are it will be in much better condition for fraction of the cost of a new one.

I ended up doing that (long time ago now) and the spares outlasted the car.

Depending where the hole is epoxy putty could plug it similar to araldite but stays put better when curing (see Timbo's post)

Huweth
24-04-2007, 09:55 PM
I had a MK2 Golf with a leaking head gasket. I used some of that stuff (can't remember the name) which you put in the water. Drove the car for a few miles, parked it up for two days to make sure it had chance to set. Never had any water loss again!
Use it!

RickT
24-04-2007, 10:41 PM
dont think about it.... Radweld was good back in the old day... The problem you have is Radweld tends to knacker the water pumps and you are only hiding the problem.. it will leak again... I bet radweld will only last a week or too...

Your best bet... replace the affected part!

RiCKT

MalcQV
25-04-2007, 07:38 AM
Had mixed outcomes using it. IMHO go for it, give it try. I think eventually depending on the size of the leak you will probably have to replace the radiator though.