PDA

View Full Version : Window seal noise 2

robtt09
17-05-2009, 11:35 AM
There was a thread last year (July) about noise from drivers door window area.It is a sort of rubbing/rattle noise from top of window area and only when going over rough road surfaces / speed bumps.I cannot see any conclusion as to what it is since the thread ceased.Any new thoughts or cures please much appreciated

jakerade
17-05-2009, 03:29 PM
this is the latest thread on this issue

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=68270

robtt09
17-05-2009, 08:53 PM
Hi thanks but that thread peters out without an actual answer.Has Audi now sorted the problem.I fear not as my car only a week old and suffers same complaint as cars built a year or more ago

nm2003
18-05-2009, 09:54 AM
I would also love to get a way to fix this problem. I asked the dealer to look at this same problem a few weeks ago, and they stated that it is caused by body flex, as it is worse when going slow over speed humps or raised drive ways. They played with with the seals, but driving less than 300 meters down the road after picking the car up, the noise was worse than ever. How hard would it have been for them to drive down this same road. I think they go for a test drive with the radio on and the air conditioner on full, and can't hear the noise:D

I am due to drop the car off to look at a problem with poor AM reception, potentially due to window tinting in a couple of weeks and will get them to have another try to fix.

It would be great to be able to tell the dealer what to do to fix the problem.

jakerade
18-05-2009, 01:50 PM
spray the car with water and the noise will come back. Definitely worse in the damp and the road doesnt need to be too rough to make it on mine

Red 2
18-05-2009, 07:22 PM
My one will be looked at when it goes in for its service in July.

nm2003
27-05-2009, 11:59 AM
Got the car back from the dealer today.

In addition to getting issues with the CVT and radio looked at, I also got them to look at the noise coming from the door.

They claimed to have rectified the problem. They stated that the gap on the drivers side door were out by a millimeter, and they fixed that up.

I am still not convinced they have fixed the problem, as I could still hear the noises, and driving up my home drive way, repeated the noise.:(

jakerade
07-06-2009, 07:14 PM
we believe this is solved by spraying silicon spay or WD40 on the seal which is located between the front and the rear doors (seal is attached to the rear doors)

jakerade
27-06-2011, 01:25 PM
Been complaining about this too the dealer for over two and a half years now so last week when it went it for its 10th warranty visit (to put 1st gear back to where it should be in the gearbox) I asked them to look at it again to fix it properly. We know what the problem is (see above) and I even showed them the temporary fix and suggested that removing the glossly window trim and reseating it with some white silicon grease would probably solve the problem.

Got a call on friday telling me the car was ready for collection (they were meant to be returning it to me at work) and that the rattle had been fixed. When i asked what they had done they said they had removed and reattached the seat belt mounts as that is where the problem was!!!

Car comes back eventually (they forgot i had a loan car so brought another car as well to give the driver a lift back!). Went for a drive and within 20 yards the rattle was still there!

Anyway the engine management light is on now with intermittant flashing of the glowplug light so they can have another go!

jakerade
30-06-2011, 01:04 PM
The mobile tech looked at this yesterday and agreed the cause (rattling glossy bits) but wasnt sure what could be done to resolve the issue. He is going to see if there is a tech bulletin

jakerade
28-07-2011, 08:03 AM
I have put wiring loom tape down the inside of the glossy strip where it touches the real seal and it seems to solve the problem.

I told the dealer when they had the car in yesterday and apparently they have "tried another fix" which seems to involve leaving my wiring loom tape in place!!!!

Does anything ever get from the service desk to the techs? A line of pencil scribble on the service notes is not going to fix it. I can't tell you how many times I have told them and shown them what the problem is and how to solve it. I even left a can of lithium white grease (I believe removing the glossy strip and reseating it with white grease on the bits where it connects to the door frame will fix it) on the front seat to assist them in solving it for good! I dont know what they have done this time but I suspect it is something like changing the roof rails.

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhh

J_B204
28-07-2011, 06:59 PM
Man I really feel for you - over 10 warranty visits!

I've only had mine for 3 months, love it but the dealer can't see any problem with the hdd sat nav/iPod resetting. I think the 300yd drive down the road like your dealer did must be a standard fault finding standard operating procedure and no matter what you say if they can't replicate it it doesn't exist!!!

black999
28-07-2011, 08:35 PM
Had a similar problem with my car. There was actually a draught from the top of the door seal at the top of the window together with wind noise when driving.

Audi sorted the draught and also a seal around the drivers door mirror ( apparently a known issue ).

I am very happy with the result :)

jakerade
29-07-2011, 05:50 AM
Had a similar problem with my car. There was actually a draught from the top of the door seal at the top of the window together with wind noise when driving.

Audi sorted the draught and also a seal arounf the drivers door mirror ( apparently a known issue ).

I am very happy with the result :)

I have the draught as well but that seems to fall on deaf ears...

Anyway, car is going back again today until the running issue is sorted. I removed the wiring loom tape last night to see if they really have done anything. I suspect they have just sprayed some silicon on the rubber seal again as it didnt rattle albeit quite dry at the moment. If you push the glossy trim at the top when the door is open you can actually hear the rattling noise.

jakerade
29-09-2011, 07:38 AM
tried taking it to pieces but no real joy for the effort involved - just a bad design :(

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?124696-how-do-you-remove-the-front-window-seal

The only answer is to continue to use silicon spray or live with the noise :(

Gemini
11-11-2011, 09:24 PM
Mine rattles as well, had the door seal replaced at its first service but its just the same again now. I just turn the radio up now.

jakerade
12-11-2011, 08:38 AM
seriously, get yourself a can of silicon spray and just spray it down the seal on the front edge of the rear door. You will be amazed at the difference although needs doing every week or so