PDA

View Full Version : 1998 a6, locking and speaker problem

nix sg
30-03-2007, 07:57 PM
hey guys, just wonderin if any one can help. ive got a couple of problems, main ones being that if i lock the car with the ''anti-hijack'' lock system as someone called it, if you try and open the passanger door the lock pops up but no matter how many times you try and open the door it wont open for a good 30/40 minutes.
also, ive got the bose system in there, but i get crackling through the speaker on the passangers door next to the handle every so often.
and the major problem thats worryin me, is when i start the car up from cold, i get a strange humming or grinding noise from the engine bay but it goes away once the car is warm, but the engine still seems to whistle instead (and no, its not a turbo, its a 2.8 quattro).
any help anyone?

Niall76
31-03-2007, 10:57 AM
Can you describe the engine problem a bit more please?

I know that sometimes (if cold) the oil can take a short while to reach the heads and so the hydraulic tappets clack away to themselves. Just for a few seconds.
Is the air con on when you start the car?
The humming could be the fan, one is always on and pushes a fair bit of air. Grinding? Not sure without being on site, could be the starter motor.
Speaker, sounds like a dodgy connection to it. Take off the door card and disconnect, clean up the contacts, reconnect.
As for the locks, I'm stumped? Does it open from the inside instead?

Hope that's a start for you. Lovely car.

nix sg
01-04-2007, 03:56 PM
ah so your a guy with good taste in cars then, same colour as mine too! dunno if its just me but i dnt see many 2.8 quattro's on the road.
wel the air con is on yeh but the humming has only started recently, it didnt used to that until about 2 weeks back. clacking is a good description of the noise, only happens when its cold. also, steering full lock when cold gives the grinding noise. any ideas on thw whistling noise (which again has been recently) ?
as for the door card stuff, is it jus a case of screwing off the door card, im not gud with DIY stuff you see lol. wel the lock issue, it happens every now and again, and you cant open it from eitehr the inside or outside.
and oh joy, something else went wrong yestaday!...back window on drivers side was open, went to close it and it wouldnt close, then it would move up then back down when you tried to close it. manged to close it eventually but it went up very very slowly, as if something was rubbin on i t, taking it down to the VW garage in a couple of days when i get time but thort you mite give me a quick heads up if you kno?

Niall76
02-04-2007, 09:45 PM
Yep - lovely cars indeed.

The grinding - is that when the cars moving or stationary? If when moving it could be the wheel bearing or the CV joint. Here's how th test the CV joints. Goto an open space (i.e. carpark) and stop the car. Turn full lock and move off in a circle. If you hear it clicking away to itself then the CV joint is away - repeat in other direction to figure out which one. I replaced one on mine, it's about £80 for the part as I remember and I got my local frendly mechanic to fit it for £30ish.

To get the door card off there's a few screws, you'll see them in the ends of it with the door open. Not sure but there may also be another close to the mirror. I've had mine off - it's pretty easy. Withthe screws out is slides up and off. Don't force it though as you may break one of the clips.

The windows - that'll be dirt probably, clean out the channels and use silicon grease if you can get any. Dont use WD40 though. Cleaning it out should hepl a lot. I know that there is also an issue with the plastic guides wearing which are on the sides at the bottom of the glass, you'll see them when the door card is off. Have a quick check then.

As for the whistling? Not sure. it'll be air getting through a split somewhere more than likely. Can be very hard to find though.

Hope tha helps a little.

nix sg
16-05-2007, 12:49 PM
a up agen. sum prblem with my engine! keps overheating and not sure what the problem is, any ideas?