PDA

View Full Version : Faults galore

alex-trig
16-05-2009, 02:15 PM
Hi,

In desperate need of some help. My old man picked me up a 1999 Golf 1.8 GTi and I think he might have gone blind when he was looking at it!
The engine is sound and it seems to drive well but there is a list of other things that are wrong with it and the greatest of these seems to be a complete and total failure of the brake lights including the high-rise.

I have checked the fuses and and changed some bulbs but have not had any luck. What confounded me was that Halfords bulb chart says that it needs 382 21W bulbs, well the ones that I pulled out (the bulb down from the indicator) were only 10W. Putting the new bulbs in I found they would not fit through the gap in the mount! Once I did get them in I still got no brake lights, which can only lead me to assume it must be the switch on the brake pedal which is broken.

In addition to this, the NSR door refuses to open, the lock fires and you can hear it but the door still acts like it it locked. Plus the boot does not unlock with the rest of the car and can take beyond 10 attempts using the key to get it to engage, allowing me to open it. Finally the OSR electric window will not work, the motor can be heard trying to move it, with no result.

Any help on these would be greatly appreciated as I need use of my car back asap and don't exactly have a lot to spend, having just retruned from uni for the summer!

GRaymond
17-05-2009, 07:24 PM
the door may be due to a faulty central locking module in the door try hitting the door on the outside fairly hard below the handle that is how i used to get mine to open. ity returns the lock mechanism to the correct position.

as far as the boot goes the lock may be corroded as the rear wipers tend to leak inside the boot trim and wanter gushes into the lock.

Crasher
17-05-2009, 07:27 PM
The brake lights will probably be the switch; they are a very common failure and cost about £8 from a VW dealer and take 15 minutes to fit. To be honest what you are complaining about is a tiny list for a ten year old car, remember this is the age of car the government wants you to scrap!

If the clutch goes I think you might top yourself with the sub £1K bill!

alex-trig
18-05-2009, 07:29 PM
I have had the brake light switch replaced. Considering I couldn't drive it any distance it had to go to the garage that is literally over the road from me, unfortunately this did lead to a large bill.

Boot has been fixed, the mech was over-firing, probably due to wear and causing the handle not to catch the other bits, little bit of bending parts into place has solved this.

I have spent the entire day sorting the rear door lock out with my mate. After we finally worked out how to get the glass detatched from the mech I managed to get the lock out, disassemble, re-solder and reassemble. Took a long time to refit due to not being able to get the C-clip on the piece behind the door handle (gave up eventually). Now it's all back together after I managed to rebuild the winding mech after it came appart. Strangely the window on the other side has miraculously fixed itself and is working fine.

Just need to get the tracking done and buy a new rear wiper motor assembly as the large gear in mine is shreaded.

jonathanfenton
19-05-2009, 02:01 PM
lol if it pulls to the left thats common and not always down to traking and you end up just leaving it unless you want to go down the road of 4 wheel alignment.

And there is a rear moter repair kit that you can buy 8L0998711. It replaces the main cogs and brass pipe that failes too. £25-£30. I baught one and serviced my moter and its like new again.
:beerchug: