PDA

View Full Version : What little touches do you like about the Golf VI

james_tiger_woo
16-05-2009, 09:27 AM
Ok, hand in hand with my other "what bugs you post", what little touches do you like about the Golf?

Me - there are a few including if you leave full beam on when you turn the headlights off, they won't come on when you turn the headlights back on.

There are a few others, but I thought I'd kick off with that one.

nokiauk
17-05-2009, 08:59 PM
I like the fact the door pockets are lined, stops things rattling about.

Also like the sunglasses holder in the roof.

VictorPapa
17-05-2009, 09:23 PM
Also like the sunglasses holder in the roof.

Also handy for a mobile phone.

anthony_d
17-05-2009, 10:43 PM
Ok, hand in hand with my other "what bugs you post", what little touches do you like about the Golf?

I like the way the computer display automatically reverts to critical information when needed (e.g. when the low fuel level alarm comes on, the display showing calculated miles remaining is automatically activated).

ncc1701e
20-05-2009, 11:04 AM
What I really like (and find very convenient are the following) :

Automatic Dimming of Rear View mirror
Pessenger mirror goes down automatically to show passenger curb when reversing...very very handy
Rear wiper wipes off any water when it is rainging and reverse gear is engaged
Fog lights switch on when turning at low speeds

james_tiger_woo
20-05-2009, 11:52 AM
My mirror goes up when reverse is engaged - I really, really need to sort that out....

ncc1701e
20-05-2009, 11:56 AM
Goes up??? Do you mean they stay where they are or do they actually move up instead of down??!! What I noticed is that the mirror knob should be pointed to L (since pessenger is on the Left - so if the messenger is on the Right I would guess it should be on R) so that the curb mirror function to work... If the mirror knob is on O, it would not work.

macmillions
20-05-2009, 09:20 PM
Me - there are a few including if you leave full beam on when you turn the headlights off, they won't come on when you turn the headlights back on.

My '02 1.2l Clio Extreme does this :p

Rear wiper wipes off any water when it is rainging and reverse gear is engaged

And this :p

Pessenger mirror goes down automatically to show passenger curb when reversing...very very handy

Doesn't do this though, and I have to say, it is the best idea I have heard of in ages!

james_tiger_woo
21-05-2009, 11:05 AM
Goes up??? Do you mean they stay where they are or do they actually move up instead of down??!! What I noticed is that the mirror knob should be pointed to L (since pessenger is on the Left - so if the messenger is on the Right I would guess it should be on R) so that the curb mirror function to work... If the mirror knob is on O, it would not work.

it doesn't move in the correct direction - saying that I've turned it off as I've managed 15 years of driving without it so far....

iallen1@btinter
21-05-2009, 08:08 PM
does the mirror do that on all models or only the gt

nokiauk
21-05-2009, 08:09 PM
does the mirror do that on all models or only the gt

Needs luxury pack, also to get it to work Mirror down needs enabled in the MFD.

Turn the knob to L, go into reverse adjust the mirror to suit then drive off above 15kph and it will return to normal, next time you choose reverse it will dip.

Mirror knob must always be on L, if you don't want this to function turn it off in MFD or leave knob at 0

iallen1@btinter
21-05-2009, 08:16 PM
ive only got the se so dont think ive got the mfd

ncc1701e
22-05-2009, 07:57 AM
SE does not have Luxury pack by default I guess.

Easy to check: Do you have electric folding mirrors? if Yes, then you have this function as well cos its part of the same pack. For electric folding mirrors you should have 5 functions on the mirror know: in clockwise order: Heated, R, 0, L, Folded.

james_tiger_woo
22-05-2009, 08:05 AM
I thought it had to be left on "L" for mirror moving - mine still doesn't work and, to be honest, I'm not that bothered - I rather more like the auto wipers and the lights under the mirror :)

ncc1701e
22-05-2009, 08:14 AM
For the mirror to move automatically when you put in reverse, the knob should be on L. The auto wipers and lights under mirror are in a separate package (convenience pack for UK or Light and Sight package for Europe). The luxury pack (or Mirror package for Europe) includes the convenience pack + electric folding mirrors and curb function.

HHGTTG
22-05-2009, 09:05 AM
Also handy for a mobile phone.
Yes, lovely if you haven't secured the hinged flap properly and your mobile falls out while your driving. I have never used this storage novelty as sun glasses (if they fit) just rattle around.

HHGTTG
22-05-2009, 09:08 AM
Needs luxury pack, also to get it to work Mirror down needs enabled in the MFD.

Turn the knob to L, go into reverse adjust the mirror to suit then drive off above 15kph and it will return to normal, next time you choose reverse it will dip.

Mirror knob must always be on L, if you don't want this to function turn it off in MFD or leave knob at 0
I'd like both mirrors to dip especially when reversing into parking bays as I like to align car equidistantly from the white lines. Currently when I downwards tilt mine they both move downwards.

vdubdavy
23-05-2009, 09:58 PM
I like that when you keep your finger on the unlock button of the key unit the windows go down and go back up when the lock button is pressed:D

HHGTTG
23-05-2009, 10:05 PM
I like that when you keep your finger on the unlock button of the key unit the windows go down and go back up when the lock button is pressed:D
And my sunroof closes as well!

HHGTTG
24-05-2009, 08:48 AM
However doing this via the remote does nothign for the battery life. You can achieve same effect by putting the key in the lock and holding it in the correct direction.

paul.mgrath
24-05-2009, 11:51 AM
I think you need to spec convenience pack (looking at mk6 brochure). Dunno if it can be activated with VAGCOM tho' come on you VAGCOM guys can it be done as i would be interested in this.

anthony_d
25-05-2009, 06:25 PM
I have to say, after 2100miles of driving so far, the best thing about my golf is its fuel economy. I'm now getting in well in excess of 70mpg on a good rural country drive and averaging 67mpg on a 40 mile commute into work. It's a 110ps Diesel SE 3 Dr that I have.

anthony_d
25-05-2009, 06:35 PM
One thing that I initially thought was a but weird is actually a really cool feature. When the ventilation mode is moved from 12 O'clock (face ventilation), to 3 O'Clock (Windscreen Ventilation), sometimes the air contitioning light flashes on. However at one time the Air conditioning came on properly. This was when there was condensation on the inside of the windscreen when starting up cold. I think the dry air from the air conditioning actually cleared the condensation a lot more quickly.

Has anyone else noticed that the ventilation fans increase in speed when reverse gear is selected? What's that all about?

HHGTTG
25-05-2009, 07:22 PM
One thing that I initially thought was a but weird is actually a really cool feature. When the ventilation mode is moved from 12 O'clock (face ventilation), to 3 O'Clock (Windscreen Ventilation), sometimes the air contitioning light flashes on. However at one time the Air conditioning came on properly. This was when there was condensation on the inside of the windscreen when starting up cold. I think the dry air from the air conditioning actually cleared the condensation a lot more quickly.

Has anyone else noticed that the ventilation fans increase in speed when reverse gear is selected? What's that all about?
In my MK 5 the air recirculation sytem comes into action when you reverse and maybe the fan does increase. It is to ensure you don't suck in exhaust gases when reversing.
Why or why do they make these cars so clever at the expense of more important things like quality and reliability?

Ben
25-05-2009, 07:48 PM
my wife's 55 plate polo does that increase in fan speed on selecting reverse. do'nt drive it often but when i do its a strange sensation. always wondered why it did it.

one thing i've wondered about the MK6, as its based on the mk5 chassis and shares the same roof, windscreen, including the windscreen angle.........could i buy a bonnet, bumper, lights, front wings and other bits, and convert the front of my mk5 to look like a mk6 front?

WeegieBob
25-05-2009, 08:56 PM

Well beat me with a soggy rhubarb leaf, so they do! :D

I had no idea, what a cool feature ...... (memo to self: I must try and read the owners manual).

WeegieBob.

elvismiggell
25-05-2009, 09:44 PM
Well beat me with a soggy rhubarb leaf, so they do! :D

I had no idea, what a cool feature ...... (memo to self: I must try and read the owners manual).

WeegieBob.

I'm pretty sure that you can do that with the MK5.

Not sure about the automatic close, but certainly if you press and hold the button it opens and closes.

Ben
25-05-2009, 10:30 PM
yes, hold unlock they open and hold lock, they close.

Not a new innovation, but handy.

I don't use it though as all my windows start closing at different times so some close and others do not :(

VictorPapa
25-05-2009, 10:30 PM
I like the screen on the RDC510 that automatically dims and brightens. I noticed it the other evening when the lights auto switched on and I stopped at traffic lights under a bridge. The screen dimmed and then brightened after coming back out into the light.

Ben
25-05-2009, 10:44 PM
also on the mfd2 in my mk5...

next

HHGTTG
26-05-2009, 08:49 AM
my wife's 55 plate polo does that increase in fan speed on selecting reverse. do'nt drive it often but when i do its a strange sensation. always wondered why it did it.

one thing i've wondered about the MK6, as its based on the mk5 chassis and shares the same roof, windscreen, including the windscreen angle.........could i buy a bonnet, bumper, lights, front wings and other bits, and convert the front of my mk5 to look like a mk6 front?
I am not so sure about the roof and windscreen angle being the same as the MK5's. I am sure that I read somewhere there had been changes there but I could be wrong.

vdubdavy
26-05-2009, 09:23 PM

WeegieBob.[/QUOTE]

I must confess, i stumbled across this purely by accident, i initially thought there was a problem with the electric windows as 1 or 2 of them always seemed to be slightly opened.

Thankfully i sussed this out as i was going to get the dealer to check it out when the car was in to get another complaint checked out:smashfrea

manager
28-06-2009, 07:25 PM
hi, i am just wondering...so the sunroof does open and close with the windows? omg...can't wait for myne, it's something i dreamed about having on a golf i would own one day since the mk4 was introduced...

HHGTTG
28-06-2009, 07:38 PM
hi, i am just wondering...so the sunroof does open and close with the windows? omg...can't wait for myne, it's something i dreamed about having on a golf i would own one day since the mk4 was introduced...
My sunroof on my current MK 5 Golf can be shut either by using the key fob or better still (less battery drain on the key fob) by inserting the key in the door and turning and holding it in the right direction whilst all windows AND sunroof will shut. Especially useful if you forgot to close the sunroof whilst still in the car!

manager
28-06-2009, 07:55 PM
yes sure. great.

one thing i strangely like, somehow...is that the new golf doesn't have a key fob in the doors, thus they look nicer :o

HHGTTG
28-06-2009, 09:12 PM
yes sure. great.

one thing i strangely like, somehow...is that the new golf doesn't have a key fob in the doors, thus they look nicer :o
Do you mean a keyhole. According to discussions on ukmkivs.net it does have a keyhole on the driver's door handle under some hidden cover. Maybe you have to pull the handle up first to expose it - i'm only guessing, but it definitely has one.

WeegieBob
29-06-2009, 06:29 AM
I noticed in the showroom a Passat that had the last section of the handle missing exposing the keyhole. It might be that the Golf is the same where this part is a cover that is clipped on and has to be removed before you can get access to the keyhole.

If that is the case then I don't think the "key in the keyhole" is meant to be accessed in normal day to day use - just for emergencies perhaps?

WeegieBob. ;)

Nightowl4933
29-06-2009, 09:40 AM
I can't find anything I don't like about my Golf! It's the first one I've owned, and as I've only had it a few days I'm still surprised with things I find (and I've read (most of) the manual!)

Best of all? It catches the eye. Even when it was in the showroom being handed over to me people were looking at it, rather than the other models on display.

I love it :biglaugh:

Pete

elidag
29-06-2009, 10:04 AM
I like the way they have hidden the reversing in camera out of the way behing the VW badge as it keeps it nice and clean, its the best install of a camera I have seen.

manager
29-06-2009, 02:23 PM
probably...but the dealer assured me that there isn't a keyhole, but once i receive the golf he said they would explain to me what can be done incase of emergencies.
i guess its just security procedures not to give out this kind of information.

Anyways...i still like the fact that it isn't visible. makes the car look smoother more than it is in the Candy White color. :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

manager
29-06-2009, 02:25 PM
i like the fact that the interior is of the same quality and shape with the same sort of gadgets like the Passat CC :biglaugh:

james_tiger_woo
29-06-2009, 02:26 PM
I'm pretty sure the keyhole is behind the little triangle that's adjecent to the door handle - it "pops" off and the keyhole's there.

At least it was for the Passat (B6) anyway... Not that I ever tried it mind...

HHGTTG
29-06-2009, 04:20 PM
probably...but the dealer assured me that there isn't a keyhole, but once i receive the golf he said they would explain to me what can be done incase of emergencies.

Anyways...i still like the fact that it isn't visible. makes the car look smoother more than it is in the Candy White color. :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:
Apparently the hole is under a cover which is part of the static part of the door handle and has to be prised off using the key, as there is a slot for the key to go into to do this. This is only done for emergencies only; I would imagine there might come a time when this 'cap' could come off through looseness and be lost.
It seems a bit of a retrograde step, though, as I like to use my key (rather than the blipper), to close all the windows and sunroof. Of course you can use the blipper but if you keep on using it for extended times, the battery will expire more quickly.

manager
29-06-2009, 06:52 PM
guess i'll have to use the key to open only in emergencies

WeegieBob
29-06-2009, 08:48 PM
Of course you can use the blipper but if you keep on using it for extended times, the battery will expire more quickly.

Do you see this as a problem - I thought batteries were easily replaced?

HHGTTG
29-06-2009, 10:08 PM
Do you see this as a problem - I thought batteries were easily replaced?
No, it's not a problem but the disassembly of the key fob needs to be done with some care and you can do it, if you know how or find the solution on the internet or, of course, get your dealer to do it. I just wouldn't want the trouble, that's all.

manager
30-06-2009, 09:06 AM
yes you're right.
by any chance, the mk6 you've ordered...does it have the same colour as your mk5 with the sunroof and all?

Robbie G
30-06-2009, 10:09 AM

Or, he's probably just a moron and didn't have a clue. Every car thief worth his salt will know what cars do and don't have a keyhole.

Anyway I'm looking forward to my MkVI but hearing all these 'nice touches' hasn't exactly filled me with wonder. 99% of them have been around for years and years and on numerous other crappy cars!

maisbitt
30-06-2009, 10:17 AM
There is definitely a keyhole behind the cover - the manual tells you so (the salesman should know this). You prise the cover off with the key (probably scratching the paint finish at the same time) and use the keyhole to gain entry (don't think it will stop the alarm going off, if I remember reading correctly).

Putting your key in the ignition once you've opened the car (and gone deaf in the process) will then cancel the alarm.

HHGTTG
30-06-2009, 11:36 AM
yes you're right.
by any chance, the mk6 you've ordered...does it have the same colour as your mk5 with the sunroof and all?
Are you referring to me, HHGTTG? If so, then my new MK 6 will be the same colour with a sunroof as well as my current MK 5.

james_tiger_woo
30-06-2009, 03:02 PM
Noticed yesterday that I can't rev about 2500 when I'm stationary too....

paul.mgrath
30-06-2009, 09:44 PM
I noticed yesterday whilst in the middle of a minor monsoon that they haven't fixed the fact that when you open the door and get in the car that the rain water pours into the car and down the back of your neck as with the mk5:mad:.

manager
30-06-2009, 09:47 PM
cool...wish i could do that!! :biglaugh:

manager
30-06-2009, 09:49 PM
I noticed yesterday whilst in the middle of a minor monsoon that they haven't fixed the fact that when you open the door and get in the car that the rain water pours into the car and down the back of your neck as with the mk5:mad:.

In this tread you can post only things you love about the mk6. there is another thread for things you hate about the mk6. ;)

manager
30-06-2009, 09:51 PM
Or, he's probably just a moron and didn't have a clue. Every car thief worth his salt will know what cars do and don't have a keyhole.

Anyway I'm looking forward to my MkVI but hearing all these 'nice touches' hasn't exactly filled me with wonder. 99% of them have been around for years and years and on numerous other crappy cars!

you'd just have to believe in it and do as you feel...

james_tiger_woo
24-08-2009, 07:21 AM
The rear screen heater will go off automatically after 10 minutes.

And, if you hold the front or rear screen wash down, it'll go off automatically after about 30 seconds so you can't empty the screen wash bottle (so easily anyway)

dimucci
24-08-2009, 10:00 AM
No, it's not a problem but the disassembly of the key fob needs to be done with some care and you can do it, if you know how or find the solution on the internet or, of course, get your dealer to do it. I just wouldn't want the trouble, that's all.

http://uk.search.yahoo.com/search?p=change+battery+vw+golf+key&fr=FP-tab-web-t340&ei=UTF-8&meta=vc%3D

Hope this helps!

HHGTTG
24-08-2009, 10:25 AM
http://uk.search.yahoo.com/search?p=change+battery+vw+golf+key&fr=FP-tab-web-t340&ei=UTF-8&meta=vc%3D

Hope this helps!
Thanks for the link but the info. was not for me. I don't currently need to do this as I have two new key fobs with my new car!

Typ 5K
24-08-2009, 03:02 PM
I like the way they have hidden the reversing in camera out of the way behing the VW badge as it keeps it nice and clean, its the best install of a camera I have seen.
But doesn't it get in the way when you're using the badge as a handle to open the tailgate? Just wondering, my boggo Golf S doesn't have it anyway.

anand81uk
25-08-2009, 09:37 AM
Nope, I have it on mine and you cant even tell the camera is there when opening the tailgate. Very cleverley designed :-)

james_tiger_woo
25-08-2009, 09:39 AM
Nope, I have it on mine and you cant even tell the camera is there when opening the tailgate. Very cleverley designed :-)

Have you got a picture of it at all?

anand81uk
25-08-2009, 09:46 AM
No sorry, I take delivery of the car on Thursday so will try and get one by the end of the week.

Steve_D
05-09-2009, 02:46 PM
I've recently ordered a Golf before joining this site (2.0 GT TDI) and cant help noticing that there's currently 7 pages of the thread 'what do you like about your Golf' and 28 pages of the thread 'what annoys you about your Golf'. Gulp!:(

HHGTTG
05-09-2009, 05:14 PM
I've recently ordered a Golf before joining this site (2.0 GT TDI) and cant help noticing that there's currently 7 pages of the thread 'what do you like about your Golf' and 28 pages of the thread 'what annoys you about your Golf'. Gulp!:(
Yes, it's frightening isn't it? Don't worry though. We have all bought this nice new model even though it has got its faults, but hasn't every car?
We are all enthusiastic car owners here and a high percentage, I would imagine, have gone from the MK5 Golf to the MK6 as indeed I did and noticed marked differences/improvements in quality, smoothness and quietness. If you went from a MK4 to a MK6 then it would be a whole different world.
Gulp ye not.

p3asa
05-09-2009, 05:29 PM
To be honest I can't believe how there are so few complaints about it!!!

cj57
06-09-2009, 07:30 PM
[QUOTE=HHGTTG;408367]
We are all enthusiastic car owners here and a high percentage, I would imagine, have gone from the MK5 Golf to the MK6 as indeed I did and noticed marked differences/improvements in quality, smoothness and quietness.

Oops, I feel like an interloper - this is my very first VW let alone Golf. That said, more than pleased with my new toy, which I've had about 4 months now. Just completed a 700 mile round trip with my heavy right foot and averaged over 56 mpg. No squeaks or rattles, other than the one I created by leaving my MP3 player dangling in the arm rest!!

p3asa
07-09-2009, 12:19 AM
To be honest I can't believe how there are so few complaints about it!!!

Sorry to quote myself but it sounded wrong. What I meant is you usually find a group of people that are never happy and they make up most of the noise in a forum with their complaints, but out of the VW / golf forums I'm on I'm really surprise at how well it has been accepted.

My last VW was a beaten up Passat estate N reg 1.9TDi
When I say beaten up it was a disgrace inside but the running of it was fantastic. I felt at the time it was lightening fast and ran on fresh air, although I had come from a Pajero at the time!! So I have got no preconceived ideas about the golf. My only fear is I'm expecting it to be perfect as its a lot of money spent so the least wee rattle fault will probably annoy me.

bozal
07-09-2009, 08:16 AM
I like the way the DSG box drops down a couple of gears when you are going downhill - it appears to realise that you are braking even if you are maintaining the same speed - I presume it works on the revs. I also like being able to drop down a couple of gears with the steering wheel paddles to overtake, I thought the paddles were an indulgence at first, but they work really well.

HHGTTG
07-09-2009, 08:44 AM
I like the way the DSG box drops down a couple of gears when you are going downhill - it appears to realise that you are braking even if you are maintaining the same speed - I presume it works on the revs. I also like being able to drop down a couple of gears with the steering wheel paddles to overtake, I thought the paddles were an indulgence at first, but they work really well.
I think that the DSG version is fine until, that is, you have to do a lot of very slow town work or manoeuvring in tight places where its weaknesses then show up - according to my mate's findings, anyway.

bozal
07-09-2009, 08:52 AM
Seems to work ok in town to me - having said that I've only had it a week so could change my mind yet.

james_tiger_woo
07-09-2009, 11:07 AM
I think we're all predispositioned to complain really - I'm in IT and when things are good and running smoothly, our customers are happy - when they go (even slightly) wrong, we'll hear about it....

p3asa
07-09-2009, 11:27 AM
Seems to work ok in town to me - having said that I've only had it a week so could change my mind yet.

There is an interesting debate going on in the gtiforum (http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=122285.0)if you are interested. A lot of valid points both for and against.
I went for manual personally as I like complete control of the car but the DSG does sound appealing.

bozal
07-09-2009, 11:35 AM
Read some of that, as you say quite interesting, most of the debate seems to be around using it in manual mode the whole time. I use mine in auto but just use the paddles like a kick down function when I want more torque, the car reverts to auto if there has been no input for about 15 seconds or you can manualy return to auto by holding the right paddle for a second. I think with seven gears it would be a bit of a pain in manual mode the whole time.

david25
10-09-2009, 06:10 PM
There is a little arrow on the fuel pump symbol to tell you which side the fuel cap is on

james_tiger_woo
11-09-2009, 08:44 AM
There is a little arrow on the fuel pump symbol to tell you which side the fuel cap is on

Really?

(Head out to look)

p3asa
11-09-2009, 08:51 AM

I read about something similar regarding all cars and nobody could disprove it at the time:

The fuel pump symbol always has the pump side facing the side of the fuel cap and if not then there is an arrow pointing to the other side!!

My Mazda has the arrow.

Typ 5K
15-09-2009, 05:32 PM
A couple of things I've noticed are the way the radio fades out when you switch off the ignition or switch modes (instead of cutting off abruptly), and the three flashes you get when you nudge the indicator stalk (although I don't suppose that's very novel these days).

Plus the damped glove box lid hinge - pity it wasn't bigger though!

Steve_D
16-09-2009, 08:33 AM
Nearly all cars built in the last 5 years have that.

VictorPapa
16-09-2009, 12:00 PM
Nearly all cars built in the last 5 years have that.

But why on earth is it needed anyway? Surely if you know your own car, then you know where the filler cap is, and if it's not your car, then it's not beyond the wit of man to find it?

It seems to me that it's just another piece of 'cotton wool' that people are wrapped up in today. Whatever happened to thinking for oneself?

ralferoo
16-09-2009, 02:02 PM
But why on earth is it needed anyway? Surely if you know your own car, then you know where the filler cap is, and if it's not your car, then it's not beyond the wit of man to find it?
It's not hard to find it, it's just that you usually don't think to check until the first time you need to fill up. And as we discovered in France last week in a hire car, the hose isn't always long enough to reach to the other side if you pick the wrong side of the pump...

Steve_D
16-09-2009, 03:26 PM

It seems to me that it's just another piece of 'cotton wool' that people are wrapped up in today. Whatever happened to thinking for oneself?

Like most things, it's there for convenience. How far do you want to take this? You've probably got remote central locking on your car. Why? Can't you open the doors yourself? Or wind the windows down mechanically? Or aren't you strong enough to do away with power steering? Servo brakes? Auto lights and wipers? Fuel warning light? Lights on warning buzzer? The list is endlesss! I know what, do away with cars completely as surely it's not beyond the wit or capabilities of man to walk or use public transport! No thanks, I prefer my car - and the more gizmos the better! :D

jjh
16-09-2009, 03:41 PM
Like most things, it's there for convenience. How far do you want to take this? You've probably got remote central locking on your car. Why? Can't you open the doors yourself? Or wind the windows down mechanically? Or aren't you strong enough to do away with power steering? Servo brakes? Auto lights and wipers? Fuel warning light? Lights on warning buzzer? The list is endlesss! I know what, do away with cars completely as surely it's not beyond the wit or capabilities of man to walk or use public transport! No thanks, I prefer my car - and the more gizmos the better! :D
here, here, well said sir......

Gilesme
16-09-2009, 06:51 PM
The other thing is, my wife never puts fuel in her car, so it's nice to be able to check which side of the pump to go (hers is opposite to mine).

Also, I used to hire a lot of cars - always welcome info.

HHGTTG
16-09-2009, 07:53 PM
I agree with one of you here but I'm not going to say which one! Suffice it to say, I didn't notice the little arrow on the pump symbol, that is, until I put my nose right up against the steering wheel and squinted long enough to just about see it - hardly a standout feature is it and frankly, would never had known about it, unless I read this forum.
Presumably my MK5 had it but I would never have known.

james_tiger_woo
17-09-2009, 08:20 AM
I've noticed it myself this morning in a "eureka" style moment.... As it happens, I've filled up enough times (I'm now at 13k) to have learnt this anyway.

I may ask around now I think about it...

Golfer Phil
17-09-2009, 05:24 PM
Yes, it's frightening isn't it? Don't worry though. We have all bought this nice new model even though it has got its faults, but hasn't every car?
We are all enthusiastic car owners here and a high percentage, I would imagine, have gone from the MK5 Golf to the MK6 as indeed I did and noticed marked differences/improvements in quality, smoothness and quietness. If you went from a MK4 to a MK6 then it would be a whole different world.
Gulp ye not.
Do you mean that if someone went from a Mk4 to a Mk6 they would find the MK6 a lot worse ?:confused:

HHGTTG
17-09-2009, 07:00 PM
Hardly. No they'd find the MK6 a vast improvement over the MK4 as was the MK5 a considerable improvement on the MK4, although some might disagree with that statement. And now we find that the MK6 is a step up in perceived quality on its predecessor.

VictorPapa
17-09-2009, 10:00 PM

Thanks for that mate.....feel you missed the point though.

paul.mgrath
28-10-2009, 09:59 PM
Got home from work and the wife said theres a light on on my car - check tyres. Looked at them didn't see any problem fronts looked low.

The sidewalls on the 18's aren't very high at the best of times!!

Went to garage checked tyre pressures 3 bob on 4th (rear) 17psi!! But it looked fully inflated.

Thought it was just a 'gimmick' but it actually works. Just took me 1/2 hour to find the reset button - in glovebox not infront of gearstick as manual suggests!!!!

vdubdavy
28-10-2009, 10:28 PM

Not such a good thing when you are unaware that your 14mth old son has been playing with the remote unit and you find your car at 5am unlocked with all the windows down and its been raining all night:aargh4:

SebbyMK6
28-10-2009, 10:42 PM
Just took me 1/2 hour to find the reset button - in glovebox not infront of gearstick as manual suggests!!!!

This was one of the 2010 changes. It's not good that the manual hasn't been updated to reflect it, though!

Jumbo Golfer
31-10-2009, 01:02 PM
The engine - the 1.4TSi (122) is incredible. Now at 900 miles and the thing is sooooo sweet, and powerful! People eave about about the 160, but 160 from a 1.4??? Ain't that pushing it?

moe360
31-10-2009, 03:55 PM
Not such a good thing when you are unaware that your 14mth old son has been playing with the remote unit and you find your car at 5am unlocked with all the windows down and its been raining all night:aargh4:

WOW does the MK6 do that, i tried it on mine now but nothing happend is it a factory option ? or standard on all cars cant get it to work!

SebbyMK6
31-10-2009, 05:06 PM
The engine - the 1.4TSi (122) is incredible. Now at 900 miles and the thing is sooooo sweet, and powerful! People eave about about the 160, but 160 from a 1.4??? Ain't that pushing it?

In what respect? VW must know their stuff, and the engine's been around a while. I haven't heard of any issues. :)

james_tiger_woo
03-11-2009, 04:17 PM
If, when going down a hill, you turn the engine off - the PAS stays functioning as PAS until you get below 10mph.

p3asa
03-11-2009, 04:26 PM
If, when going down a hill, you turn the engine off - the PAS stays functioning as PAS until you get below 10mph.

Wow you have some strange past times ;)
Take it the steering lock doesn't come on or you might not have been here to reply :p

p3asa
03-11-2009, 04:28 PM
WOW does the MK6 do that, i tried it on mine now but nothing happend is it a factory option ? or standard on all cars cant get it to work!

Hold down the "lock" button on your key fob to put the windows up and hold down the "open" button to open all your windows.

james_tiger_woo
03-11-2009, 04:37 PM
Wow you have some strange past times ;)
Take it the steering lock doesn't come on or you might not have been here to reply :p

Ahem - I wasn't clear on that :) - There's a 1 and a half mile rural hill (no junctions) that I'll coast down (only occasionally with the engine off) so with the engine off, I'll leave the key in.

I did this once on the M1 years ago in (I think it was) my Rover 200 (I know, I know...) when I'd forgotten to unlock the glovebox as I wanted something out of it - took key out of ignition and the steering locked - thought nothing of it until I started drifting over towards a lorry - when I panicked and forgot what to do. Lorry saw me being a moron and gave me room as I drifted over....

Never done it since. Well, I have, but not recently...

Idle
04-11-2009, 06:30 AM
Ahem - I wasn't clear on that :) - There's a 1 and a half mile rural hill (no junctions) that I'll coast down (only occasionally with the engine off) so with the engine off, I'll leave the key in.

I did this once on the M1 years ago in (I think it was) my Rover 200 (I know, I know...) when I'd forgotten to unlock the glovebox as I wanted something out of it - took key out of ignition and the steering locked - thought nothing of it until I started drifting over towards a lorry - when I panicked and forgot what to do. Lorry saw me being a moron and gave me room as I drifted over....

Never done it since. Well, I have, but not recently...

Unless it's a very gentle slope you shouldn't need to turn the engine off to roll — when you take your foot off the loud pedal the fuel supply shuts off (at least on diesels it does, and many petrol vehicles also do it nowadays) and you're only pumping air, which so far as I know is still free.

So long as you're in top gear the engine doesn't offer a lot of resistance and you retain full control (brakes retain full boost and you have instant power in an emergency) which is much safer than engaging 'angel gear' as we used to call it long ago — before steering locks and power brakes.

When I had my first car (a 1923 Dodge 4) there was a 2-mile hill that I always rolled down (even on loose gravel the car built up enough inertia going down to carry me another third of a mile) — until one day a car popped out of a bush track half-way down.http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/images/icons/icon11.gif

Old Dodges didn't handle all that well and only had 2-wheel brakes & 4.5" tyres.

I learned quite a lot that day...

HHGTTG
04-11-2009, 10:02 AM
I'm obviously missing something here but why should anyone be coasting down hills with the ignition/engine off?

p3asa
04-11-2009, 10:07 AM
when you take your foot off the loud pedal the fuel supply shuts off (at least on diesels it does, and many petrol vehicles also do it nowadays) and you're only pumping air, which so far as I know is still free.

Sorry you've lost me with the loud pedal and pumping air :confused:

Idle
04-11-2009, 11:03 AM
I'm obviously missing something here but why should anyone be coasting down hills with the ignition/engine off?

A:- It's smooth, quiet travel and takes you back to your billycart days...

B:- Carburetter engines (anyone remember those?) and most injected petrol units until quite recently still burn fuel on the over-run — sometimes quite a significant amount.

If you turn the engine off you don't use any. Put it down to environmental conscience (or, in my case with the Dodge in the 1930's, as a young farmhand working for board and occasional pocket money, pure poverty.)

Besides, later in my ownership of the thing, fuel was rationed and coupons were an eminently saleable item.

P3asa:

The loud pedal is the one you squeeze to produce motion (and noise). An IC engine being externally driven is a reasonably good air pump.

I think this discussion is getting OT, tho'.

moe360
08-11-2009, 10:26 PM
Hold down the "lock" button on your key fob to put the windows up and hold down the "open" button to open all your windows.

l0l got it working I feel so dumb for not knowing how to do it, the first time i tried it was from my bedroom looking out to my driveway and the only window I could see was the passenger side whcih was not going down once I was holding it down. Then when i went out I relaised the drivers window was open for 3 hours l0l.

i think i set the passanger side window not to open in the highline computer, btw mine is a 3dr not 5dr !

Strangley enough my old man just got a new merc c class c220 sport and he said his also does the same but he could not find the switch l0l. I did the same with his key fob as with the golfs and presto it worked as well l0l.

Must be a german thing !

jamief
09-11-2009, 09:43 AM

You shouldn't even turn the engine off when driving, whether going downhill or not.

rarefir
11-01-2010, 03:40 PM
not the dull lifeless steering that's for sure

moe360
11-01-2010, 09:55 PM
Just noticed this today not sure if anyone else posted it but on the RCD310 if you press the eject button when theres no CD in the system it makes a cool "bong" noise :o. Sounds like the same noise you hear on aeroplanes when the crew are about to tell you something.

samiur100
11-01-2010, 09:59 PM
Just noticed this today not sure if anyone else posted it but on the RCD310 if you press the eject button when theres no CD in the system it makes a cool "bong" noise :o. Sounds like the same noise you hear on aeroplanes when the crew are about to tell you something.

lol moe, you make me laff!:biglaugh: I'll sure test it out when i get it!

moe360
11-01-2010, 10:29 PM
lol moe, you make me laff!:biglaugh: I'll sure test it out when i get it!

L0L good to know I can bring a smile to peoples face's :o

Trust me I was just playing around with the system and noticed the bong noise thought it was pretty cool, also I like the way that on the RCD310 the right rotating circle knob can be used to skip through tracks very quickly. Its a very cool touch as the MFSW which wont let you switch through tracks that fast.

noonoo63
14-01-2010, 09:46 PM
I like everything from the heated door mirrors to the little touches like footwell illumination .

Just a very well put together car:approve:

moe360
14-01-2010, 09:50 PM
found a new cool thing about the Golf I like this morning I thought I had put the hand break all the way down when setting off the highline computer was flashing and made a beep following with the warning in the dash "parking break still on " :o

I just thought that was a nice little touch to have a beep and then it come up in writing.

samiur100
09-02-2010, 02:52 PM
I didn't order the MFSW but i found out that you can change tracks by using the wiper stalk button things on the end which you use for the trip. Now i feel as though i saved £300+! only thing i can't do is control the volume, but its good enough because its FREE! :) (unless its due to opting in for the highline, but im not sure as i don't have a non-highline to test it against yet)

moe360
09-02-2010, 09:36 PM
I didn't order the MFSW but i found out that you can change tracks by using the wiper stalk button things on the end which you use for the trip. Now i feel as though i saved £300+! only thing i can't do is control the volume, but its good enough because its FREE! :) (unless its due to opting in for the highline, but im not sure as i don't have a non-highline to test it against yet)

Not bad Samiur but the MFSW is still one of the must haves, looks phat and is a joy to use. well done vw

psmith98752
09-02-2010, 09:37 PM

It's the highline that gives you that functionality. I too didn't realise I'd be able to do this, I'm very pleased with it as I use it all the time!

samiur100
10-02-2010, 02:05 AM
Yes i have to agree the MFSW does look good, but i'm now very happy i went for the highline! well worth the £50!

moe360
10-02-2010, 10:56 PM
Samiur have you got any pics of your new Golf just saw your signature saying it was collected on the 2nd Feb ?

congrats on the car hope the wait was worth it

percymon
23-02-2010, 03:01 PM
Today I realised the front armrest is height adjustable. It doesn't matter to me but a nice touch to make the car fit all sizes of driver. Only took me 10 weeks to discover it lol!

james_tiger_woo
23-02-2010, 03:18 PM
Today I realised the front armrest is height adjustable. It doesn't matter to me but a nice touch to make the car fit all sizes of driver. Only took me 10 weeks to discover it lol!

And it extends forwards (and back) too :)

I like that you can keep a toolkit in the pocket in the back of the passenger seat and reach it easily from the drivers seat.

And, a can of deicer fits neatly and snugly in to the rear passenger pockets.

And my Sat-Nav fits in the slot where an ipod would ordinarily go (I keep mine in the (locked) glovebox). NB - The SatNav hasn't been used since July last year, doesn't work and is hideously out of date so I wouldn't bother tracking me down to nick it :)

ETA - The MSFW is brilliant - I have used it to remove that stupid, pointless and annoying speed warning option which can only be good :)

percymon
23-02-2010, 04:32 PM
I knew about the sliding bit, just not the height settings.

mrchiggles
23-02-2010, 10:20 PM
And it extends forwards (and back) too :)

I like that you can keep a toolkit in the pocket in the back of the passenger seat and reach it easily from the drivers seat.

And, a can of deicer fits neatly and snugly in to the rear passenger pockets.

And my Sat-Nav fits in the slot where an ipod would ordinarily go (I keep mine in the (locked) glovebox). NB - The SatNav hasn't been used since July last year, doesn't work and is hideously out of date so I wouldn't bother tracking me down to nick it :)

ETA - The MSFW is brilliant - I have used it to remove that stupid, pointless and annoying speed warning option which can only be good :)

I find the little compartment to the lower right of the steering wheel great for the satnav....hoping that the thieves don't know it's there too...

james_tiger_woo
23-02-2010, 11:53 PM
I find the little compartment to the lower right of the steering wheel great for the satnav....hoping that the thieves don't know it's there too...

I'd not thought of that - it's not obvious either....

Saying that it seems to have a phone charger in it, now I think about it - for a phone I don't even have...

percymon
24-02-2010, 09:56 AM

...it is now its broadcast across the net :aargh4::aargh4:

better find somewhere else for mine now

HHGTTG
24-02-2010, 10:25 AM
That compartment is so small now compared with the one on the MK5

HHGTTG
24-02-2010, 10:26 AM

Saying that it seems to have a phone charger in it, now I think about it - for a phone I don't even have...
That compartment is so small now compared with the one on the MK5, as it seems to have been over engineered with an over large securing latch that the MK5 did not have or need! Has about enough room for two packs of TicTac mints.

moe360
25-02-2010, 09:48 PM

Percymon thanks for this information I just tried this ysetersay and ur right it is height eadjustable and moves back wards and forwards, it took me 6 months and ur e-mail to work this one out :D l0l

I love this arm rest now its the best feature of the car so far

david25
26-02-2010, 07:29 PM
How the hell do you raise it then??

HHGTTG
26-02-2010, 08:07 PM
Grab hold of the cushioned top and sort of pull it upwards. You then have to fully extend it before it will go back down. It's the sort of action that words can't really describe that well.

moe360
26-02-2010, 09:46 PM

Grab the front pull it up and then slide it across pretty easy to do once you start playing with it. One of the best features I have seen on a road car today amazing.

HHGTTG
26-02-2010, 10:35 PM
Grab the front pull it up and then slide it across pretty easy to do once you start playing with it. One of the best features I have seen on a road car today amazing.
Blimey. You're impressed easily aren't you? It's just an arm rest after all with bugger all room inside and gets in the way of the gear lever and handbrake to a degree. Useful if you drive a lot i.e all day but I don't.

moe360
27-02-2010, 12:53 PM
Blimey. You're impressed easily aren't you? It's just an arm rest after all with bugger all room inside and gets in the way of the gear lever and handbrake to a degree. Useful if you drive a lot i.e all day but I don't.

L0L the reason why I like this feature so much is due to my driving\seating position in my car. I sit down in a laid back style (called cruising by many) which means by back is leaning back and my arms well back the raised arm rest means I can rest my elbow higher up and in a more comfortable position which makes long drives more fun.

james_tiger_woo
15-04-2010, 08:46 AM
When the car is above 10 (or 15mph), even with the engine off, you still get power steering.

Also - if the full beam was on when the engine/ignition was turned off, it won't come on full beam when the engine/ignition/headlights is/are turned back on.

jamief
15-04-2010, 08:49 AM
Why on earth would you have the engine off when moving?

james_tiger_woo
15-04-2010, 08:52 AM
Why on earth would you have the engine off when moving?

Surely I'm not the only one that's ever done this....

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=69115&page=44

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showpost.php?p=506623&postcount=438

Just to check a rolling noise - not something I do on a regular basis, I might add.

HHGTTG
15-04-2010, 09:22 AM
When the car is above 10 (or 15mph), even with the engine off, you still get power steering.

Also - if the full beam was on when the engine/ignition was turned off, it won't come on full beam when the engine/ignition/headlights is/are turned back on.
How or why did you find that out. You weren't coastin were you?

james_tiger_woo
15-04-2010, 09:28 AM
How or why did you find that out. You weren't coastin were you?

There was a noise that I couldn't identify so, at about 10pm last night (I was out buying some cough stuff for the OH and my 2 year old as we'd run out), I drove up to about 40 (on a safe, straight road) and turned off the ignition.

I've done it before to be honest, but usually when coasting in to a car parking space in the office carpark - only when it's empty mind....

Steve_D
15-04-2010, 09:52 AM
...... and if you still hear a little rattle it could be the keys in the ignition so take them out...........that's it, all the way...........now, just swing round this bend and ...............Ooops! :rolleyes: :D

jamief
15-04-2010, 09:53 AM
I can't really comprehend turning the ignition off whilst driving to identify a "beep". Mind you, some folk even turn the ignition off whilst going downhill to "save fuel" which is equally stupid.

james_tiger_woo
15-04-2010, 10:02 AM
I can't really comprehend turning the ignition off whilst driving to identify a "beep". Mind you, some folk even turn the ignition off whilst going downhill to "save fuel" which is equally stupid.

I was trying to identify where a rattle/noise was when the car was rolling - I don't want to actively find new beeps - the car does that all by itself. As for turning the ignition off going downhill - that's just madness, loss of brakes should scare people enough in to never doing that (I have, however, done this when I was younger and wayyyyy stupider).

And I only keep the key on its own - none of this keyring nonsense - too many rattles :)

Hartside
15-04-2010, 06:17 PM
Nice Escort Steve D - is it a Mexico?

CGGolfV6
17-04-2010, 12:24 PM

It took me several weeks in my 5th Gen Golf to discover that, and it was by accident, so don't be too dishearted :D

Steve_D
19-04-2010, 08:09 PM
Nice Escort Steve D - is it a Mexico?
No. RS2000. Replica but better than most 'original' ones!

james_tiger_woo
15-06-2010, 10:08 AM
Not sure if this counts as a "little touch", but sometimes when I drive my car, this makes me grin - the in gear acceleration makes me grin like an eejit.

This morning, for example - I joined the M18 and floored it just to join quickly - the Golf picked up speed smoothly and rapidly and I joined at slightly above 70mph (officer).

3rd and 4th are great :)

HHGTTG
15-06-2010, 11:28 AM
Not sure if this counts as a "little touch", but sometimes when I drive my car, this makes me grin - the in gear acceleration makes me grin like an eejit.

This morning, for example - I joined the M18 and floored it just to join quickly - the Golf picked up speed smoothly and rapidly and I joined at slightly above 70mph (officer).

The best gear change movement IMHO is changing down from sixth gear to third perhaps on approaching a juntion or roundabout. Just push the lever forward and it moves across the gate easily into the third gear position.

andyCYM
16-06-2010, 01:03 PM

You should try flooring a GTD in second gear at 20mph....

benzo_26
16-06-2010, 11:44 PM

IMHO I find the acceleration uninvigorating and lacks stimulating that smile I had with previous cars, I have decided never to have another diesel and go back to petrol. Overall though a very good motor

james_tiger_woo
17-06-2010, 11:13 AM
IMHO I find the acceleration uninvigorating and lacks stimulating that smile I had with previous cars, I have decided never to have another diesel and go back to petrol. Overall though a very good motor

What were your previous cars for comparison though?

I've never owned a high powered petrol (I've always done approx 25k a year) so a good diesel is something I've either had or wanted.

benzo_26
17-06-2010, 11:23 AM
What were your previous cars for comparison though?

I've never owned a high powered petrol (I've always done approx 25k a year) so a good diesel is something I've either had or wanted.

Yea I totally understand why people buy diesels, and its purely personal issues I have. This is my first diesel, previous cars included a mini cooper, seat leon 2.0 petrol and last car was volvo c30 T5 2.5 so its a big change. I just dont like the power delivery but the resale of the.gttdi over the petrol gt swung it for me.

james_tiger_woo
17-06-2010, 12:24 PM
Yea I totally understand why people buy diesels, and its purely personal issues I have. This is my first diesel, previous cars included a mini cooper, seat leon 2.0 petrol and last car was volvo c30 T5 2.5 so its a big change. I just dont like the power delivery but the resale of the.gttdi over the petrol gt swung it for me.

The power delivery takes some getting used to - and I had a B6 Passat 2.0 diesel before this one and the difference is marked.

My last petrol was a long, long time ago with diesel forced upon me for economy reasons - I won't detail my car/diesel owning history as it contains some shamefull choices, but it's something to get used to and now I struggle to get used to driving a petrol...

andyCYM
18-06-2010, 09:30 PM
My last petrol car was a 2000 Mk 4 Golf 1.8T, 150bhp. I don't think the power delivery from the 170hp GTD is that different in terms of throttle response & pick up, if anything the diesel is better. The big difference is that the GTD has shown 60.2 mpg on a 130 mile round trip whereas the mk4 never got above 40. Each to their own though.

Keithuk
19-06-2010, 01:03 AM
The big difference is that the GTD has shown 60.2 mpg on a 130 mile round trip
Is that MFD or actual, tank to tank average? ;)

benzo_26
19-06-2010, 07:02 PM
My last petrol car was a 2000 Mk 4 Golf 1.8T, 150bhp. I don't think the power delivery from the 170hp GTD is that different in terms of throttle response & pick up, if anything the diesel is better. The big difference is that the GTD has shown 60.2 mpg on a 130 mile round trip whereas the mk4 never got above 40. Each to their own though.
Well you are comparing a petrol engine frm 10 years ago to your newly developed gtd engine. Ive got the 140 brake gt and the power delivery compared to the volvo petrol unit and the leon petrol unit is pants, the lag is there and then it peaks so much quicker than the petrol,.which delivered the power much smoother and just kept going. Obviously the diesel has its benefits but this is just my personal opinoon that I am not so keen on diesel engines.

andyCYM
21-06-2010, 08:58 AM
Is that MFD or actual, tank to tank average? ;)

MFD. Out of interest, why do you think the MFD is inaccurate, surely the computer knows distance travelled and fuel used?

I've never done a comparison by checking manually.

Keithuk
21-06-2010, 12:30 PM
MFD. Out of interest, why do you think the MFD is inaccurate, surely the computer knows distance travelled and fuel used?

Well Andy if you tank it and reset the trip, use then tank and fill the tank again. Divide the distance cover by the fuel used gives you that average mpg for that tank of fuel. The memory 2 is supposed to show the all round average at anytime it always shows 4-5 mpg more so to me its not accurate, its a VW ploy. You can zero the memory 2 but that doesn't make much difference it still reads more.

When VW state 650 miles per tank and they say thats a 53mpg average they must drive it like they have eggs under the pedal. I'm not saying it can't be done I'm just saying normal driving can't achieve this.

So what are you getting out of yours Andy? ;)

andyCYM
21-06-2010, 05:00 PM
Well Andy if you tank it and reset the trip, use then tank and fill the tank again. Divide the distance cover by the fuel used gives you that average mpg for that tank of fuel. The memory 2 is supposed to show the all round average at anytime it always shows 4-5 mpg more so to me its not accurate, its a VW ploy. You can zero the memory 2 but that doesn't make much difference it still reads more.

When VW state 650 miles per tank and they say thats a 53mpg average they must drive it like they have eggs under the pedal. I'm not saying it can't be done I'm just saying normal driving can't achieve this.

So what are you getting out of yours Andy? ;)

Thanks for that. I know how to do the calculation, just haven't bothered yet, but I will do next time I fill up & will see how it compares to the 'puter.

My GTD so far (MFD of course) - has been through 2 complete cycles on the MFD2, first was 45.something and second was 47. Very mixed driving, mainly a 40 mile round trip commute, ave speed shows as around 35.

The MFD1-indicated average of 60.2mpg was on a motorway in heavy but steady traffic over 130 miles. It generally shows around 55 on a decent run.

I'm happy with it, it's significantly better than last 2 cars - a 2.0 140bhp passat and a 1.9 130bhp A4. I know golf is obviously lighter but it's loads quicker.

Have done nearly 8k miles and it is definitely still loosening up.

BTW, i suppose if you wanted a really accurate MPG figure you'd have to account for the speedo overestimating by around 10% (presuming satnav is more accurate)?

WeegieBob
27-06-2010, 08:29 AM
Discovered a nice little touch when cleaning the interior of the Golf yesterday -

I'd moved the passenger seat fully foward and noticed in the outside seat runner what I would describe as a bright silver "skate" located inside the runner track. My first reaction was "bugger, a seat runner bearing has come adrift off the seat", but after a little investigation it looked like a moveable limit stop to prevent the passenger seat being slid back too far that can be manually set by the owner.

I tried it, finding a trigger on top that unlocks it enabling it to slide forward and backwards in the runner - so there you go, another VW secret I didn't know about, I really must read the owners manual! LOL!

WeegieBob. ;)

HHGTTG
27-06-2010, 09:15 AM
Discovered a nice little touch when cleaning the interior of the Golf yesterday -

I'd moved the passenger seat fully foward and noticed in the outside seat runner what I would describe as a bright silver "skate" located inside the runner track. My first reaction was "bugger, a seat runner bearing has come adrift off the seat", but after a little investigation it looked like a moveable limit stop to prevent the passenger seat being slid back too far that can be manually set by the owner.

I tried it, finding a trigger on top that unlocks it enabling it to slide forward and backwards in the runner - so there you go, another VW secret I didn't know about, I really must read the owners manual! LOL!

WeegieBob. ;)
Is this also present on the driver's seat. It would be useful to have more rearwards movement but then the steering wheel would need more fore and aft movement, this bein less in the MK6 compared with the MK5s

WeegieBob
27-06-2010, 04:42 PM
Don't know - I haven't looked as I'm more than happy with the legroom.