PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Aircon help

ed34
15-05-2009, 11:41 PM
Hi, just need some advice and the forum popped up when i was googling for some help!!!

anyway, just realised my aircon has stopped working (2004 A3 2.0 TDI, climate control).

The climate control panel seems to work ok, ie swithes from econ to auto alright, but no cooling. The audi dealer had it for about an hour and said it *looked like* it was the compressor, and said was about £1170 to fix, and werent suprised when i said i would leave it. They didnt charge for the hours diagnostics to find the problem... but they said it pointed to the compressor although not 100% sure

Now i was thinking today that normally when the aircon is turned on theres a click under the bonnet and also the 2nd fan starts running. None of this happens and i wondered if the compressor is broken would i still hear the relay click, and also surely the fan would still come on? Gas pressure is ok they said.

I'm thinking the garage are probably right as they spent an hour or so looking at it, and quoted a big cost to replace a major part and they probably knew i wouldnt have this done so theres no reason to try and rip me off, but i was just wondering why theres no click of the relay / clutch or the fan starting, or is this all linked to the compressor?

Sorry for the waffle, but i dont really understand the AC system :Blush2:

Thanks in advance!