PDA

View Full Version : New to Vw, should i buy one?

tdi1
15-05-2009, 11:32 PM
For years i have bought french cars and my last car (laguna 2.2dci) was to be the last. I am looking for a VW golf and my local garage has a VW Golf GT TDI 130, 98000 miles, full vw history, 5 doors, silver, 52 reg, black recaro(?) leather interior. He wants £4994 for it and will give me £2500 for mine (which only has 50,000 on the clock! Gutted!). Is a golf with 100k on it going to last me any length of time? realistically i need it to last me 4-5 years with me doing 20k a year. By the time i get rid of it it will be on 200,000k - is this a realistic mileage?

Any advice is welcome

tdi1

v6dub
16-05-2009, 12:55 AM
a pd 130 is the best of the engines. If you do all the right serviceing then 200k is possible. I know of T5s which have done over 500k.

herby0001
16-05-2009, 07:49 AM
200k should be easily attainable, but as with anything, it is the car's previous treatment that will determine how long the engine will last.

There are numerous threads on the woes experienced if not using the correct grade oil. To give your engine the best chance of longevity, you must use VW's Quantum Longlife III 507.00 changed every 5,000 miles (other forum members use Opie or Comma oil, which they swear by, but I've never tried them, so can't recommend). Using a variable/longlife schedule (up to 20,000 miles between oil changes) is just asking for trouble, since PD engines are sensitive beasts that could happily gobble your wallet up if mistreated.

v6dub
16-05-2009, 12:21 PM
absolutely. the right oil is vital, i always use comma, i would recommend it, and don't let the oil it get dirty,

Andy Avant
16-05-2009, 09:27 PM
I thought I d have a wee input on your thread as the wife has got a gttdi 130 with 105k on the clock. The guy next door who works in the car sales business says thats the one you want and they are like hens teeth and are holding there value really well. So much so that he is looking for one. As for the car it pulls like a train and is quicker than my Audi and alot of other cars on the road ( up to 70 of course ) My advice is get into the garage and test it you wont be disapointed

Good Luck :D

nc7503
17-05-2009, 05:11 PM
stay well clear of high milers mate if i was you in my experence nothing but hassle i had a 2001 passat few years back ex lease. it was havin more money spent on it than the mrs:D just remember that its not just the engine with the high miles gearbox bearings etc.as for what your getting for your renault tell the bloke to **** off ive just traded in a 04 fiesta and got 2800 for it. that was against an 56plate jetta tdi with 32k on the clock,in the current climate shop around they are giving them away i even got 4 new tyers,inspection service mats, and 12 tax on mine.

engfour
19-05-2009, 08:26 AM
I agree, I have 2 1.9 TDIs from new one with 120K and the other 110K. They are now having problems, coolings fans, A/C compressor, gearbox problems, central locking failures, anti rollbar ends. They were totally reliable until just over the 100K then the problems started. One is a PD engine and it has had problems with the injector wiring failing in the cylinder head.

I expect they will run to 200K but increasing costs replacing failed parts.

½cwt
19-05-2009, 09:44 AM
Anything with over 100k is going to have SOME issues. Its a question of cost verses how long you'd plan to run the car for. Most cars can be a money pit if you want them to be, as the others say make sure you keep the oil fresh and of the correct spec. Essentially with a VW you are buying sound engineering and better than average quailty parts.

They are certainly much more soild feeling than the equivalent French vehicles.

onzarob
19-05-2009, 10:30 AM
If you do a search on here you will see all the problem, but remember people don't go searching the web if there cars working perfectly ;)

The PD 130 is the pick of the bunch in the MK4 range, the 150 has a habbit of throwing the camshaft and it expensive to put right.

Injector wiring loom is common, but not expensive to sort.

You will see stuff about the flywheel but ALL modern car run DMFs and its a lottery between good and bad, when you take it for a test drive just check for excessive vibration on the clutch.

As for mileage 200K not a problem just change the oil o time and use High quality oil ;)

tdigolf
19-05-2009, 03:40 PM
if you keep them well servicedthey shouldnt really give a problem, dont for get that cars that are starting to get a 100000 miles on are probabley starting to push 10years old

ImCammers
19-05-2009, 04:07 PM
As, somone rightfully said, it often depends on how the car was treated previously.

For example 100k of Motorways Miles, isn't going to have the same effect on an engine that has 100k of city driving miles.

tdigolf
19-05-2009, 05:17 PM
my uncal has a used audi/vw garage and they often see diesel audi/vw's with 200000+ miles on them no problem