PDA

View Full Version : where to connect 12v feed for double towbar electrics

ostridge
15-05-2009, 10:18 PM
A6 1.8T SE AVANT

Got the towbar to fit, can anyone advise best place toconnect the 12 volt feed
handbooh mentions 30a supply on fuse 35, but fuse 35 not fitted. The fusebox seems to be easier than trying to route through to battery, bu where is best to connect?

Btw got 7 way bypass relay, and smartcom split charge relays. I have the instructions for those ok just where to take the 12v supply from, and oh does anyone know the colour coding of the rear fog light +ve, as it would save taking the tailgat door plastic panel off.

Thanks

martin1810
16-05-2009, 02:39 PM
You can use the fuse box 35 feed. You need to go to the dealer and ask for a repair terminal with wire. You insert this in the fuse box. The main feed for the terminal should already be in the box. You just add the output terminal. A quick probe with a test light will confirm if the feed is present or you can take the back off the fusebox and check from there. You don't have to use 35. You can use any output that has a high amp input.

ostridge
17-05-2009, 09:40 AM
Thanks Martin1810
Good reply except that the Fuse 35 feed is not present.

I have however progressed further as follows:
So First disconnect the battery negative terminal
I have however noted the presence of the bus bar at bottom of the relay housing.
There is a large red feed terminal which has a separate insulated space , then 2 adjacent terminals with nuts to secure the cables labeled 30 and 30.

First disconnect the battery negative terminal

One of these 2 terminals - the smaller one has a 5mm (approx) thread and has an 10mm AF nut. I tested first to prove a +12v positive when ignition off and key removed - success bus bar and terminals 30 and 30 both live +12.

I removed the 10mm nut and used a blue insulated crimp ring connector with 5 mm hole as (3 were) supplied in the 12N+12S electrics kit. the other 2 ring connectors are for earthing to the body. This saves having to enter the back of the fusebox and avoids disturbance of a LOT OF WIRES.
Boot sides already removed (and boot floor)
See post at http://www.audifans.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=22284&highlight=towbar

Next fed cable forward up over other cables and out at right side of fusebox, fitted a 15A fuse holder here tied with cable ties and removed the fuse for safety (until all complete and battery -ve reconnected).
Ran the rest of supplied 12N +12S kit) cable (only 4.1 m supplied in my kit which is a little stingy) but fed this down right side under the plastic sill covers.

now remove the A post trim next to the bonnet release. there are 2 screws securing, the lower one covered by a pop out plastic cover - removed by screwdriver into slot and lever out.
Note that the plastic sil and trim to the B post are secured with vertical plastic tabs that poke into holes in body sill. Start with the sill trim to rear door, and ease it up. ease off the lower part of trim to B post, just enough to feed cable through at sill level.

Feed cable straight through and under the C post trim through existing cable ties up over wheel arch through gap below seat belt (follow wiring loom) into boot. This seems to be best side for fitting the 7 way bypass relay, and the smartcom split charge relay kits.

Not yet made live so this feed not fully tested/checked, but fitting towbar is next.

Regards

ostridge
18-05-2009, 08:20 PM
A6 1.8T SE Avant

I took the trim from the tailgate to find the colour coding of the rear fog light,
it has grey with white stripe, and brown earth.

I am trying to trace the feed in the left hand D post and getting confused
The multi plug and socket connector on D post has 2 sections - one plug has grey and white stripe, but not +ve when fog=on; and a thick white also not +ve probable earth.
The second plug has about 16 connectors all thin wires, there is annother grey with white stripe but not +12v when fog=on.

If anyone has the wiring diagram for this, it would be appreciated.
Regards

martin1810
18-05-2009, 09:11 PM
Not sure if audi is different but on a passat the wire is grey/white from switch to rear fog lamp.

ostridge
19-05-2009, 11:58 PM
Many thanks Martin1818,
I did turn out to be one of 2 grey +white stripe, the thicker one of the 2.

Strange that they sent it down the left side into the tailgate, when the switch, fuses etc all on the right
Thanks & regards