PDA

View Full Version : Bluetooth ??

Farvs
15-05-2009, 08:49 PM
Evening boys and girls :beerchug:. Collected our ex-demo GT today and been having a play. Now the salesman told me it doesn't have BT but I know there were a few others things he didn't know about the car so wanted to check. The BT option comes up on the headunit (310?) + the steering wheel has the phone button, which i think is standard on all MK6's. I followed the instructions in the manual and pressed the phone button on the wheel twice but doesn't beep as it should. Am I without BT and, if so, what's the best way of adding - VW or aftermarket?

Cheers

nokiauk
16-05-2009, 10:57 PM
If phone does not appear in the MFD and you don't have an aerial on the roof then you don't have bluetooth I'm afraid.

Best option would prob be to fit a parrot kit.

nebw
16-05-2009, 11:19 PM
Agreed, certainly if cost is a big issue, otherwise maybe look at the OEM module retrofits listed on ebay, which are about £250 upwards IIRC.

Here's the "premium" version:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-RNS-510-MFD3-BLUETOOTH-GOLF-MK6-PASSAT---PREMIUM-BT_W0QQitemZ170328270014QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090 504?IMSfp=TL090504113002r37422

I haven't bought from this seller. He's in Poland. Seems to know his stuff, though I'm a bit of a newbie on this.

Supposedly the great thing about the "premium" versions is that they use the rSAP profile to shut down the phone's GSM aerial and use one powered by the car instead. Had that system on an A8 and loved it.

No good if you have a non-rSAP compatible phone though. You probably know all this already !

Farvs
17-05-2009, 09:09 AM
.... you don't have an aerial on the roof then you don't have bluetooth I'm afraid.

If i am only using the BT to access my phone why would you have/need an aerial?

I have a price of circa £200 for supply and fit of a basic parrot but would prefer the OEM option but not sure i'd be happy to pay such a premium.

nokiauk
17-05-2009, 09:11 AM
The OEM kit uses RSAP and takes over the phone's aerial with a better quality external one.

Rennie Mc/r
18-05-2009, 07:21 PM
My Mk6 has the RCD510, BT phone prep & links up very well with my Nokia 6300 BUT the signal strength is to say the least not strong unless I'm really near a mast. I'm with Orange & thought the coverage/strength etc was pretty good but now I'm not so sure. Anyone know if Vodafone is any better or does the car REALLY need an outside aerial?

james_tiger_woo
18-05-2009, 09:11 PM
I've had a Parrot kit and I can say that it's fantastic - I'm toying with the idea of getting another one or fitting the Bluetooth extension to my stereo....

Rennie Mc/r
21-05-2009, 08:15 PM
Thanks JTW - does your Parrot sideline the BT set up with a separate on dash gizmo & aerial?

Griff449
21-05-2009, 09:04 PM
I so wish I had ordered it as an extra............ been playing with the wifes bluetooth in her new Fiesta and I want it :(

Rennie Mc/r
21-05-2009, 09:10 PM
Well that sounds like a pretty looking motor!

Re Bluetooth - the pairing from the phone to the car system is great, no problem at all. I just can't get a permanent strong signal or even most time - even on m-way - get any signal. Am wondering whether my phone's not up to the job.

nokiauk
21-05-2009, 09:46 PM
shouldn't be anything to do with the phone as RSAP takes all control away from the phone, maybe you have a problem with your car, I always get a strong signal in mine

Rennie Mc/r
21-05-2009, 11:41 PM
Thanks for that comment bearing in mind the bother I've had already!!

The Nokia web site info for the phone (6300) does not indicate that it is rSAP capable. I assume from your sign in name that you know something about Nokia. The VW blurge states the system requires a phone compatible with the Bluetooth rSAP, hence my suggestion that maybe my phone is at fault and not the car. The only problem appears to be the strength of link into the network provider. Any ideas will be welcome?

I am by the way waiting for 'the man who knows' at the dealership to be available to consider whether the car has the latest available software.

JoseSpring
22-05-2009, 12:28 AM
I have a Nokia 6300 as my work phone. Works effortlessly with the RSAP bluetooth.
And the car kit has a much stronger signal than using the phone itself.
I'd get the kit checked out.

james_tiger_woo
22-05-2009, 08:03 AM
Thanks JTW - does your Parrot sideline the BT set up with a separate on dash gizmo & aerial?

No aerial needed as it uses the phone's one, but yes, there was a dash gizmo - this was on my Passat mind.

On my current Clarion, when I find somewhere that has the module in stock, I'll get one that plugs in the back of my stereo so it'll be completely transparent :)

nokiauk
22-05-2009, 09:01 AM
Thanks for that comment bearing in mind the bother I've had already!!

The Nokia web site info for the phone (6300) does not indicate that it is rSAP capable. I assume from your sign in name that you know something about Nokia. The VW blurge states the system requires a phone compatible with the Bluetooth rSAP, hence my suggestion that maybe my phone is at fault and not the car. The only problem appears to be the strength of link into the network provider. Any ideas will be welcome?

I am by the way waiting for 'the man who knows' at the dealership to be available to consider whether the car has the latest available software.

The 6300 does indeed support Sim Access Profile over Bluetooth, although it it is not listed on the phones menus.

The Fingers
22-05-2009, 09:44 AM
Give this a look - http://fiscon-mobile.com/products/index.php

they are an after fit blueteeth thingy for VW / Audi - if you have full MFD screen then it will integrate just like OEM on Radio / MFD / Steering Controls.

I only have a half MFD in the passat so i went with a Parrot LS3200 which is quite good also

Rennie Mc/r
22-05-2009, 03:19 PM
Many thanks to all readers for advice & comments re my Bluetooth problems.
Although I have found that the firmware on my phone is a bit out of date - & will be updated shortly - it does suggest that the car BT is a bit down on something or other so I will indeed take it further with VW & have the car system checked out. Will report further idc.

Take care out there!

Rennie Mc/r
23-06-2009, 09:16 PM
Greetings all you good Bluetooth people out there! My Nokia 6300 was updated with the latest software - no effect.
Next stage - the car has been checked out by VW & they ordered some under the dash gubbins & a new antenna from the factory. Didn't need either. The fitted antenna showed an open circuit & checking the wiring back to the head unit revealed a "poor/loose/bad" connection at that end. Everything has been 'tightened up' & the phone & BT system now work perfickly.
All that for some sloppy assembly & a lack of QC at the factory!
CHEERS!!!

Nightowl4933
23-06-2009, 10:01 PM
My Mk6 has the RCD510, BT phone prep & links up very well with my Nokia 6300 BUT the signal strength is to say the least not strong unless I'm really near a mast. I'm with Orange & thought the coverage/strength etc was pretty good but now I'm not so sure. Anyone know if Vodafone is any better or does the car REALLY need an outside aerial?

It depends where you are, but I've changed to Vodaphone because the cover in between Swindon and Salisbury is much better than with T-Mobile or O2

Pete

Nightowl4933
23-06-2009, 10:08 PM
If i am only using the BT to access my phone why would you have/need an aerial?

I have a price of circa £200 for supply and fit of a basic parrot but would prefer the OEM option but not sure i'd be happy to pay such a premium.

I've just in the process of listing my Parrot 2300 LS Colour on eBay at £50 for Buy It Now and free postage. It's not listed yet but will be this weekend. You would only need a car-specific loom which can be found here: http://www.parrot.com/uk/support/installationdiagrams although there doesn't seem to be anything listed for a Mk VI Golf :(

paul.mgrath
24-06-2009, 02:09 PM
James,

Our compay has stopped fitting car kits now and are using the parrots. The ones they have sync with your phone and store the phone numbers etc and link in with the radio (mute etc).

Does yours do this? If so can i have the model number etc and any relevant looms i may need and a rough idea of cost.