PDA

View Full Version : Golf 1.4 cl MK3 Engine Kangaroos!!

stusav369
11-01-2006, 05:05 PM
I have a VW Golf 1.4cl Mk 3 K reg which has recently developed a problem. The car feels like its losing power, revs drop when stationary at an island or traffic lights then cuts out. The car then becomes impossible to drive coughing, spluttering and only what can be described as Kangarooing everywhere. There seems to be a loss of power then a sudden surge making driving it a nightmare.

I have called the RAC 3 times to pick me up and have had three different opinions. Because the problem started after filling up at a petrol station, its was suggested that it was a fuel problem (dirty) that was checked, injection etc no probs there, a new distrubtor and rotator arm was fitted, the problem still exists. The 2nd RAC man reckoned it was an electrical problem becuase only happens after the car is warm or been running 20 mins. Maybe coil or leads??

It is now going back to the garage.....again.

Any suggestions help!!

bholtaway
19-03-2007, 12:42 AM
Hi there mate, i have just purchased a VW golf from an auction (and now i know why it was being sold there!) On the way home it was kangarooing through 2nd and 3rd gear. I see you had similar problems about a year ago and wondered if you ever found the solution? Any advice would be much appreciated.
Cheers!
Ben

Huweth
19-03-2007, 01:20 AM
Have you changed the fuel filter? Thats where my money is if you haven't!

bholtaway
19-03-2007, 01:30 AM
Cheers mate, i will try anything - cheaper solutions first! I was thinking that a dirty fuel line could be the problem but after reading some postings on this site it seems this age of golf is prone to engine management faults? Looks like i have a busy day of trial and error problem shooting tomorrow!
Cheers
Ben

Cam
19-03-2007, 08:47 AM
Check the plugs, also the MAF sensor.

If you are dipping very low on gear changes down through the box, to the point of almost stalling it, or very rough/ erratic idle chances are plugs need checked/ replaced.

If you have power issues under acceleration, the MAF sensor probably needs replacing also.

It's very common unfortunately.

If you can get somebody with VAGcom to check any codes or if needed spend £40 and get a diagnostic check at a VW dealer. Then you know what needs fixing and get it done somewhere else cheaper.

Hope you get it sorted.

Cheers

bholtaway
19-03-2007, 03:01 PM
Many thanks for the reply, hopefully changing the plugs will resolve the issue otherwise i will investigate the MAF sensor & Relays.
Great to have replies posted so quickly, cheers guys this is a good site.
Thanks again, Ben.

Eshrules
19-03-2007, 03:22 PM
Many thanks for the reply, hopefully changing the plugs will resolve the issue otherwise i will investigate the MAF sensor & Relays.
Great to have replies posted so quickly, cheers guys this is a good site.
Thanks again, Ben.

:biglaugh: a good site well worthy of its members, dont be a stranger and let us know how you get on :D

Huweth
19-03-2007, 06:32 PM
Don't bother with the plugs etc yet!
If the problem started after a batch of bad fuel, then the problem is almost certainly fuel related. Check the fuel filter!