PDA

View Full Version : Folding Electric Mirrors

cdgthreesalmons
15-05-2009, 01:57 PM
Just ordered 1.4 TSI with Luxury pack - electric folding mirros included.

Does anyone know if they fold in automatically when you lock the car? I know some manufacturers do but my previous Touareg didnt which I found irritating.

VictorPapa
15-05-2009, 02:34 PM
No, they only fold in when you turn the switch to the correct position (about 10 o'clock).

james_tiger_woo
15-05-2009, 03:28 PM
As said - no, shame though

I've got them too with the lux pack so they light up too :)

cdgthreesalmons
15-05-2009, 05:36 PM
Shame they dont fold automaticaly - wonder if a dealer can change that with VAG-com?

Havent seen the lights on them yet - assume they have a light underneath them?

nokiauk
16-05-2009, 10:56 PM
I wanted the same question answered, at the moment as said they do not fold in with the remote but I refuse to believe it's not possible to do, both the Leon and the Superb have this ability so it must be possible somehow on the Golf also.

VictorPapa
17-05-2009, 01:20 AM
As said - no, shame though

I've got them too with the lux pack so they light up too :)

I've got em but haven't seen any lights apart from the repeaters.

HHGTTG
17-05-2009, 09:07 AM
I've got em but haven't seen any lights apart from the repeaters.
Have you tried to fold them manually say, when outside the car or do you think this action would damage the mechanism?
I may have asked this before, so excuse any repetition.

VictorPapa
17-05-2009, 11:42 AM
Have you tried to fold them manually say, when outside the car or do you think this action would damage the mechanism?
I may have asked this before, so excuse any repetition.

Just tried it.......and they fold back with no problem, or apparent damage.

HHGTTG
17-05-2009, 02:04 PM
Just tried it.......and they fold back with no problem, or apparent damage.
I wonder, then, how they disengage with their motors........hmmmmmmmmmm?

cdgthreesalmons
17-05-2009, 04:47 PM
Dealer showed me that one new feature of the MK6 is that the mirrors can fold forwards as well as back - so if knocked by a car they wont break??

WeegieBob
18-05-2009, 06:21 AM
I wonder, then, how they disengage with their motors........hmmmmmmmmmm?

This may be wrong for a VW - however my last car, a Merc had electric mirrors and they could be "manually" folded back i.e. nudged by a passing car, as they disengaged from the head mechanism by means of a spring clip releasing a locating pin.

To re-engage it was a case of pushing the mirror head back into the spring clip.

But as I mentioned above the VW mechanism may be different.

WeegieBob. ;)

Rennie Mc/r
18-05-2009, 07:13 PM
Yes, they do fold if the control knob is at the L(Left mirror) position when the ignition is turned off. The lights (with the Luxury Pack) are puddle lights under the mirror body.

VictorPapa
18-05-2009, 07:39 PM
Yes, they do fold if the control knob is at the L(Left mirror) position when the ignition is turned off. The lights (with the Luxury Pack) are puddle lights under the mirror body.

Just tried that on mine...and they don't fold when the ignition is turned off. The puddle lights don't appear to work either.:confused:

Rennie Mc/r
21-05-2009, 08:27 PM
Sorry, VictorPapa, my reply re mirrors was a load of rubbish! I was waffling about the reverse function on the passenger side mirror. For the folding, the knob switch needs to be at the 10 o'clock pos'n (pointing at the square motif) when you aswitch ignition off, mirrors then fold. The puddle lights come on both when doors locked & unlocked on the fob. Is the MFD programmed right?

Guess what? I've had my GT140 for a month now-well, it's registered to me but for 3 weeks of that month it has been back at the dealer workshop - ended up with a new ECU because the EGR light wouldn't go off! Hopefully all will work OK now.

nokiauk
21-05-2009, 08:30 PM
when I move my mirrors to that position they fold whether ignition is on or off, just wondering how your only do this on ignition off. On your do they unfold when you start the car then?

Rennie Mc/r
21-05-2009, 08:43 PM
Yes, you are spot on - just checked, they fold whether ignition on or off but don't unfold when unlocking.