PDA

View Full Version : Mileometer computer issue??

cdgthreesalmons
15-05-2009, 01:51 PM
Whilst test driving three demonstrators at my local dealer I noted they ALL had the same fault.

The electronic total-car mileage in the computer display would change to km/hour? when slowing down . . . .then revert to miles covered again when speeding up. Dealer hadnt noticed it! but I wondered if anyone else has had a similar fault. Just ordered new 1.4 TSI and wondered if this was a common softward fault??

Anyone had any other "new car" issues with the new Golf??

machine
15-05-2009, 02:16 PM
The kph is displayed when you're on the move and the mileage shows when stopped.

I asume the kph is needed as the speedo is only marked in mph.

VictorPapa
15-05-2009, 02:38 PM
The miles appear in the bottom left of the display, unless you've got cruise control switched on, in which case the set speed shows.

cdgthreesalmons
15-05-2009, 05:37 PM
Are you saying that the total car mileage changes to kph when on the move? Surely that cant be correct can it??

machine
15-05-2009, 07:10 PM
Are you saying that the total car mileage changes to kph when on the move? Surely that cant be correct can it??

thats exactly what happens on mine, the total mileage changes to the speed in kph when on the move.

I'm convinced it's because the analogue speedo doesn't have kph marked on it.

HHGTTG
15-05-2009, 09:07 PM
thats exactly what happens on mine, the total mileage changes to the speed in kph when on the move.

I'm convinced it's because the analogue speedo doesn't have kph marked on it.
That's what I have heard here or maybe on ukmkivs.net. Seems odd to me but who want to know the total car mileage when on the move, anyway?

cdgthreesalmons
16-05-2009, 11:51 AM
I think I would rather see the total miles than my speed in kph!? Sounds like a software issue to me.

machine
16-05-2009, 06:26 PM
I think I would rather see the total miles than my speed in kph!? Sounds like a software issue to me.

What if you wanted to take your car abroad?

It's clearly not a software issue.

RickT
16-05-2009, 07:39 PM
THIS IS NOT A PROBLEM..

Passats also do this, Skoda, Mercs... the list goes on...

The trip will show MILES when stopped as that is the current default setting for the UK, when the car moves the display shows you your speed in "KM" as the cluster does not have the MPH and KM on the speed cluster, it only has to display both units within the UK.

As the UK is the only country in the EU which uses MPH, all UK-market cars have the inner km/h scale as part of type approval (the standards by which cars are designed) or a digital real time display in preparation for the seemingly unlikely event that we convert to metric or if used in one of the EU surrounding countries which are metric.

The only LEGAL requirement in the EU is for KPH to be shown.About 90% of cars sold in the EU are for KPH markets.Cars sold in the UK have MPH as well which is not required elsewhere in the EU.

Regulation 35(1) Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986

Every motor vehicle with the UK shall be fitted with a speedometer which, if the vehicle is first used on or after 1st April 1984, shall be capable of indicating speed in both miles per hour and kilometres per hour, either simultaneously or, by the operation of a switch, separately, unless exempted by paragraphs (2) and (3) of this regulation.

-- There maybe a new version out now due to Northen Ireland converting to KM, I will see if i can find it.

So.. all in all, The car is not faulty.

Rick

paul.mgrath
16-05-2009, 09:01 PM
Thats right my brothers merc does it.

MPH in analogue and kph in digital.

VictorPapa
17-05-2009, 01:29 AM

Mine doesn't change at all:confused: When stationary the kph shows 0. The total miles only appears in the bottom left, and only when the cruise control is not switched on.

iallen1@btinter
18-05-2009, 08:22 PM
i hate it whats the point of showing kph, i would rather have option to leave it on total miles

machine
19-05-2009, 02:31 AM
i hate it whats the point of showing kph, i would rather have option to leave it on total miles

So you can drive abroad without breaking the law?

Why would you want the total, what use does it serve while you're on the move?

with digital totals you don't even have the "excitement" of watching it flip over.

iallen1@btinter
19-05-2009, 04:45 PM
i only drive in the Uk sp dont need to look at the kph i just look at the speedo in mph

james_tiger_woo
19-05-2009, 04:59 PM
i only drive in the Uk sp dont need to look at the kph i just look at the speedo in mph

And if you ever went abroad - or the next guy that bought your car - or your OH...

iallen1@btinter
19-05-2009, 07:05 PM
i know but you should be able to turn it off or on

VictorPapa
19-05-2009, 07:30 PM
i know but you should be able to turn it off or on

I haven't got it to turn off, at least not as many have on here. As I said before, my kph shows all the time and doesn't revert to total miles.

the_crofter
19-05-2009, 09:39 PM
Whilst test driving three demonstrators at my local dealer I noted they ALL had the same fault.

The electronic total-car mileage in the computer display would change to km/hour? when slowing down . . . .then revert to miles covered again when speeding up. Dealer hadnt noticed it! but I wondered if anyone else has had a similar fault. Just ordered new 1.4 TSI and wondered if this was a common softward fault??

Anyone had any other "new car" issues with the new Golf??

On my MFD the kph is displayed all the time (between the lines) as shown in the attached pics. As others have said, the total mileage display only changes when you select cruise control. Whilst on (and activated) it shows the speed set. When cancelled (but still on) it shows the last speed set in smaller font. When you come to a stop it reverts back to the total mileage. Mine certainly doesn't switch between mph/kph.

RickT
19-05-2009, 09:43 PM

Try reading my post on page one..... :o

or even better.. i will post it below for you.

THIS IS NOT A PROBLEM..

Passats also do this, Skoda, Mercs... the list goes on...

The trip will show MILES when stopped as that is the current default setting for the UK, when the car moves the display shows you your speed in "KM" as the cluster does not have the MPH and KM on the speed cluster, it only has to display both units within the UK.

As the UK is the only country in the EU which uses MPH, all UK-market cars have the inner km/h scale as part of type approval (the standards by which cars are designed) or a digital real time display in preparation for the seemingly unlikely event that we convert to metric or if used in one of the EU surrounding countries which are metric.

The only LEGAL requirement in the EU is for KPH to be shown.About 90% of cars sold in the EU are for KPH markets.Cars sold in the UK have MPH as well which is not required elsewhere in the EU.

Regulation 35(1) Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986

Every motor vehicle with the UK shall be fitted with a speedometer which, if the vehicle is first used on or after 1st April 1984, shall be capable of indicating speed in both miles per hour and kilometres per hour, either simultaneously or, by the operation of a switch, separately, unless exempted by paragraphs (2) and (3) of this regulation.

-- There maybe a new version out now due to Northen Ireland converting to KM, I will see if i can find it.

So.. all in all, The car is not faulty.

Rick

the_crofter
19-05-2009, 09:54 PM
No need to get shirty...

mr gee
20-05-2009, 08:21 AM
On my MFD the kph is displayed all the time (between the lines) as shown in the attached pics. As others have said, the total mileage display only changes when you select cruise control. Whilst on (and activated) it shows the speed set. When cancelled (but still on) it shows the last speed set in smaller font. When you come to a stop it reverts back to the total mileage. Mine certainly doesn't switch between mph/kph.

that secondary displayed kph can be deleted thru controls in your DIS.
mine incidentally reads MPH as Australia is on a metric system

J400uk
31-05-2009, 12:03 AM
Think I know the answer to this one;

If you have the standard MFD (S & SE models) the total miles screen will change to KM/H when on the move.
If you have the Highline display (GT upwards) the KM/H Screen is shown permently (see pictures on previous page)
As others have said its by design and its the law in the UK.

Mercs have had a similar system on all cars launched since 2003, and it still annoys the owners even today.