PDA

View Full Version : Burning Smell

NFRP
15-05-2009, 12:23 PM
I recently purchased an ex demo 2.0 TDI GT - not a bad car at all, comfortable, refined and a noticible step up from the MK5.

I've had the car for 10 days or so and have recently noticed a burning smell coming into the cabin when stationary at the lights for example.

I lifted the bonnet this morning and saw some visable white smoke from behind the engine. The dashboard is yet to light up however I'm a little concerned!

An oil leak maybe? Oil level seems fine though. I'm taking the car to the dealer tomorrow - hopefully they can have a look!

nebw
15-05-2009, 02:44 PM
Diesel particulates filter automatically starting a "regeneration" cycle ? If the smoke isn't coming from the exhaust and if there aren't any obvious warning signs on the dash, that would be my guess. I don't really know the new 140 CR engine, but exactly the same thing has happened on recent PSA diesels I've driven with DPFs.

maisbitt
15-05-2009, 03:07 PM
nebw is right - it'll be the DPF. If the DPF is going through a forced cycle (mainly if you're not doing enough motorway miles to get the passive cycle working), you'll notice the burning smell at lower speeds.

If the forced cycle is on, you may notice the idling revs at 1000 instead of 800, and the car being a little lumpy in the 1200-2000 rev range.

If there are no physical liquid leaks onto the hot engine, then it'll be the DPF - had much experience with this. When the DPF was a new feature, the technicians didn't know much about it and I thought that I had engine faults everytime the forced regeneration kicked in.

NFRP
15-05-2009, 05:14 PM
Thanks guys - certainly one possibility as the burning smell comes and goes but I do 500 - 700 motorway miles per week! Even if this were to be the issue the smell is toxic - can't be good for your health considering it's coming into an enclose space!

I thought it could be an oil leak so hopefully the dealers will be able to diagnose something tomorrow.

maisbitt
18-05-2009, 09:32 AM
Could also be your clutch - do you ride the clutch when waiting at a junction (holding it on the point of bite - not good for clutch wear)? If you don't ride the clutch, then it could still be misaligned clutch plates - but your clutch would probably feel a little weird if that was the case.

DPF or clutch both can smell pretty nasty.

NFRP
18-05-2009, 01:12 PM
Problem sorted by the good people at VW Towcester - apparently a loose turbo clamp was to blame for exhaust fumes entering the cabin and engine bay, hence the smell.

maisbitt
18-05-2009, 02:16 PM
So in effect, a leaking turbo? You should see a power and economy improvement now its fixed.