PDA

View Full Version : Please Help brake sensor cable smashed!!

nig
15-05-2009, 10:24 AM
hi guys, im having a very annoying problem with my brakes. i got the pads changed a while ago by a local mechanic who broke the plug that connects into the brake pad sensor cable. it was fine until last week when i ran over a big pothole in the road and smashed the plug up which activated the warning light.

so i took the wheel off and unplugged what was left of it. i was amazed to see how bad it was, only half a connector in it. so i need a second opinion on what to do about it. i was thinking of getting a plug with some cable left on it from my local breakers (which they do have) then soldering it on to the original cable.

but im not sure if that will work. any help will be very much appriciated.
cheers!

p.s the attached picture is before the plug was broken. its the connector on top thats the problem.

kenney
15-05-2009, 11:16 AM
That should do the job

nig
15-05-2009, 11:22 AM
That should do the job

i really hope so coz i cant imagine what a dealer would want to do to fix it, probably raid my wallet again lol...

Ben
15-05-2009, 02:38 PM
get a plug as you suggest from a donor car, chop the damaged one off and solder the replacement. Before you solder, slip some heat shrink tubing over the existing wire to waterproof when soldered.

nig
15-05-2009, 04:01 PM
get a plug as you suggest from a donor car, chop the damaged one off and solder the replacement. Before you solder, slip some heat shrink tubing over the existing wire to waterproof when soldered.

cool, now i just need the weather to pick up so i can have a go of it.
cheers lads :beerchug:

Caudy
15-05-2009, 07:14 PM
my connector snapped awhile back, they said it would cost £186 to replace becos you could'nt just buy the connector

nig
15-05-2009, 08:48 PM
my connector snapped awhile back, they said it would cost £186 to replace becos you could'nt just buy the connector

hey caudy long time no hear :biglaugh:

did you get that done at a vw dealership?

nig
21-05-2009, 04:49 PM
alright lads. Just after sorting that problem today. Really straight forward fix. Thanks for the help again.

Nexus
18-06-2009, 11:58 PM

what exactly was you quoted for this repair and what exactly had been done to your connector prior to the dealer quote? i.e had you attempted to repair this yourself and so possibly requiring the entire ABS sensor/Pad warning loom to be replaced up to the ABS ECU?