PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Which Audi A4 Avant?

Dunc2610
15-05-2009, 09:48 AM
I've been looking through pages and pages of info on Parkers on different engines and specs, and well, i'm no closer to disiphering which model i should look at.

Firstly, engine, 1.8T vs 1.9tdi vs 2.5tdi, my driving is mostly m'way, with a few country lanes thrown in for good measure. I tend to cruise at 70-80mph on m'ways so don't really need a massive top end, but low end pulling power would be nice. Also how do they compare service cost/frequency wise?

Secondly, is what trim level? Currently i have leather, climate, cruise control and heated seats, and would love this in whatever car i look at next. I'm bamboozled, by sports, quattro's, quattro sports, SE's etc. At first i liked the idea of a sport with the firmer suspension, but then Parkers says they didn't have cruise control etc....a little guidance would be great there.

Look forward to any assistance you guys can offer.

Many thanks,
Duncan

ali_a4_avant
15-05-2009, 12:08 PM
I have a 2003 A4 Avant 1.9tdi 130 SE with cruise control, non leather, no arm rest (these are the extra's i wish i had). I drive 200 miles a week, work is 2 miles through town centre, normally gets a good run on motorway at weekend, and I average 48mpg.

Eshrules
15-05-2009, 12:15 PM
one major issue here, you've not given us a budget to work with :(

I was working with a budget of around 5.5k, at first, looking at passat wagons. Only on the off chance and rather wild suggestion from mycarsavw, I took a look at a4 avants, to find what seemed to be a gift horse, £5k for a 130 tdi sport, 70k on the clock, leather/alcanthera interior, cruise control and a few other extras besides.

with you doing mainly m.way mileage, I'd opt for the diesel, higher on average (compared to the 1.8t) mpg, it'll cruise a lot easier on the m.way too imho, diesels are excellent for overtaking due to the extra torque. I've been diesel for 4 years now, I've never looked back.

Tell us your budget and then we can work.

Dunc2610
15-05-2009, 12:23 PM
Ah sorry, £10k absolute MAX!!

broon1982
15-05-2009, 01:17 PM
hi

ive got a 1.8t saloon and used to regularly drive a colleagues 1.9tdi. i reckon you would get better motorway mpg with the diesel but my own personal opinion is the 1.8t petrol engine is the best all rounder. its fun and responsive in all gears and has a nice low pressure turbo woft of power on the motorway in 5th gear too. its also not too bad on economy. its also got all of the kit your current car has except cruise control and heated seats. i always felt the diesel lacked grunt which is why i opted for the petrol.

good luck in finding a car.

L

kodkod.84
15-05-2009, 01:24 PM
Don't worry yourself if you get a car without cruise control as this is easily fitted as a retrofit.

For £10k you should be looking at very good examples of the B6, possibly the late S-Line trim which I think had leather seats and other extras.
I have seen some B7s for under 10k as well but these will have higher mileages for their age.

spartacus 68
16-05-2009, 11:13 AM
The B6 Audis are a nice shape, and there should be plenty on the market, even from main-dealers to fit within your budget.

Quattro models are going to eat into fuel consumption, but the reassuring grip and traction through the gears from a a standing start - you simply can't beat them.

Sport models offer stiffer suspension - so no awards in terms of long-term comfort, but you can drive through corners as if it were on rails (especially in Quattro guise).

Engine wise, you simply can't beat the 1.9 litre (130PS) model. Plenty low-end torque, and relatively frugal if driven with a little respect. You should see around 48mpg even with Quattro.

The 2.5 TDi V6 (180PS) is silky smooth, shed-loads of torque and will pull until you say stop. Emissions are higher, as is fuel consumption. If driven well you could get 40-45mpg, but drinks like a fish in stop-start traffic and around town.

You should consider an Audi main dealer. You get a full year's warranty on most mechanical items (worth it's weight in gold), and the peace of mind it's been checked for outstanding HP, dealer history, etc.

Found this nice example in Inverness. Been on the market for 3-4 months, so I'd be looking for a decent discount.:approve:

http://usedcars.audi.co.uk/carview.aspx?id=600373744

paul20v
19-05-2009, 01:15 AM
i always felt the diesel lacked grunt which is why i opted for the petrol.

Li have to disagree a 1.8 t against a 130 pd tdi
i would pick the tdi any day for low down grunt .

Dunc2610
19-05-2009, 08:53 AM
Cheers for all the help so far, i think i've decided on a TDi, now just a case of getting out there, driving a few and then finding the one for me :)

paul20v
19-05-2009, 09:19 PM
Happy hunting:beerchug:

Avant4me
10-02-2010, 07:20 PM
The B6 Audis are a nice shape, and there should be plenty on the market, even from main-dealers to fit within your budget.

Quattro models are going to eat into fuel consumption, but the reassuring grip and traction through the gears from a a standing start - you simply can't beat them.

Sport models offer stiffer suspension - so no awards in terms of long-term comfort, but you can drive through corners as if it were on rails (especially in Quattro guise).

Engine wise, you simply can't beat the 1.9 litre (130PS) model. Plenty low-end torque, and relatively frugal if driven with a little respect. You should see around 48mpg even with Quattro.

The 2.5 TDi V6 (180PS) is silky smooth, shed-loads of torque and will pull until you say stop. Emissions are higher, as is fuel consumption. If driven well you could get 40-45mpg, but drinks like a fish in stop-start traffic and around town.

You should consider an Audi main dealer. You get a full year's warranty on most mechanical items (worth it's weight in gold), and the peace of mind it's been checked for outstanding HP, dealer history, etc.

Found this nice example in Inverness. Been on the market for 3-4 months, so I'd be looking for a decent discount.:approve:

http://usedcars.audi.co.uk/carview.aspx?id=600373744

Hi there, just moved here from Seat Cupra.net. Sorry to Hijack the thread, but i am considering this issue myself. I have ruled out he 1.8t version, as i had the AUQ engine in my last car a Leon Cupra, which i believe is the same lump as used in the TT. That was a bloody quick car at 237hp after a custom map and full exhaust (started life at 180), but the fuel economy was never what it should have been, the most i ever saw was 33mpg on a long run!

I have spent the day scouring Auto Trader and have turned up some bizare facts.
I can buy the 2.5 180 Quattro Sport for around the same money as a 2WD 1.9 Sport!!!!!

The few 1.9 Quattro sports that are on there are going for around 1.5k more.

I realise that the 2.5 will cost more to run, but for a grand a half less, i will take the hit. What i really want to know is..... Is the 2.5 actually "Sporty" or does that big lump make it a little lazy in the corners. I know the Quattro will always give more grip, but i want a car which handles really well naturally.

Thanks in advance.
Matt

spartacus 68
11-02-2010, 12:47 AM
Hi there, just moved here from Seat Cupra.net. Sorry to Hijack the thread, but i am considering this issue myself. I have ruled out he 1.8t version, as i had the AUQ engine in my last car a Leon Cupra, which i believe is the same lump as used in the TT. That was a bloody quick car at 237hp after a custom map and full exhaust (started life at 180), but the fuel economy was never what it should have been, the most i ever saw was 33mpg on a long run!

I have spent the day scouring Auto Trader and have turned up some bizare facts.
I can buy the 2.5 180 Quattro Sport for around the same money as a 2WD 1.9 Sport!!!!!

The few 1.9 Quattro sports that are on there are going for around 1.5k more.

I realise that the 2.5 will cost more to run, but for a grand a half less, i will take the hit. What i really want to know is..... Is the 2.5 actually "Sporty" or does that big lump make it a little lazy in the corners. I know the Quattro will always give more grip, but i want a car which handles really well naturally.

Thanks in advance.
Matt

Couple of things. The 1.9 TDi Quattros are like hen's teeth. Since the revised tax banding on cars based on emissions - the 2.5 TDi will sit on a sales forecourt longer than a 1.9, hence the price difference. Drop in slightly cheaper car insurance and to a lesser degree - fuel economy and you can see why. Driven with a light right foot - you should see 38-40mpg from the 2.5 TDi. The 1.9TDi isn't that frugal, probably 45 mpg, especially in quattro.

However having said that, the V6 is like an Amtrak train. Plant your foot and it will continue to pull through the gears without hesitation. It's silky smooth and has a natural 'growl' on start-up. It's fun to drive and has a 'big-car' feel about it. Although the A4 Avant isn't actually that big a car. Rear leg room is pretty poor. If you're purchasing a 2.5 TDi, definately get quattro and also go for sport. It's a heavy car and the sports suspension lends itself for accelerating out of corners.;)

SWARCUP
11-02-2010, 05:38 PM
Dont be scared of the 2.5. :biglaugh: