PDA

View Full Version : Start / Stop Info...

73kingstonroad
14-05-2009, 07:25 PM
Hi...

Some Start / Stop info found on another site.

http://img.worldcarfans.com/2009/5/large/1958135.jpg

http://img.worldcarfans.com/2009/5/large/9382493.jpg

Audi will introduce an onboard computer system fitted with something called the efficiency program as well as the familiar start-stop system. These technologies are part of the solutions that Audi will use to cut down fuel consumption levels by 20% on 2007 levels by the year 2012.

Additionally the energy recovery system is installed. It is already available as standard specification in a number of Audi models. What it does is to feed energy back into the vehicle's electrical system during deceleration in order to further improve efficiency.

The start-stop system works by shutting down the engine when the car comes to a halt. As the driver pushes the clutch the engine starts again. The system can be switched off manually at any time by pressing a button. Audi estimates that in the regular Euro cycle fuel consumption is lowered by 0.2 litres per 100km. C02 emissions are consequently reduced by 5 g/km. Cars that will receive the system first are the manual versions of the A3 1.4 TFSI, the A4 and A5 with 2.0-litre engines.

The onboard computer with the efficiency programme comes with consumption-related data that is shown on the centre display. Drivers are then given recommendations for more efficient driving, depending on their style and the prevailing road situation. There is even a gearshift indicator to prompt drivers to change gears at the most ideal gear times. Also, systems that require extra energy to operate, like the air conditioning and seat warmers, are identified by the efficiency programme.

Martin

ScottyUK
14-05-2009, 07:48 PM
Thanks for the info! :biglaugh:

"The system can be switched off manually at any time by pressing a button."

That's a relief! I've never used it but I did have a small concern that if I don't like it then I'm stuck with it.

The real thing I was to know if does it apply the handbrake when the engine stops. This may help me be less disappointed that the Hill Assist has gone.

Jop
14-05-2009, 08:37 PM
good info.
thanks.

I have exactly the same concerns about hill hold as scotty.
First one to find the answer wins this smiley -> :swordfigh

73kingstonroad
14-05-2009, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the info! :biglaugh:

"The system can be switched off manually at any time by pressing a button."

That's a relief! I've never used it but I did have a small concern that if I don't like it then I'm stuck with it.

The real thing I was to know if does it apply the handbrake when the engine stops. This may help me be less disappointed that the Hill Assist has gone.

Thanks...

Not too sure how it works, but a reckon it goes a bit like this.

Start / Stop function ON

When you pull up to the traffic lights and stop you would put the car into neutral and release to clutch, then you would apply the hand break. The engine would switch off. The lights turn to green and then you dip the clutch to enable you to engage 1st the engine would start. When you release the clutch to set off the hand break would automatically release and you would drive off.

On the 2.0TDI (143ps) I had for a test drive, the hand break function was great.
As far as I know the hand break was just the normal electro function one and not the Hill Hold version.
Normally I would never use the hand break, but I found the system very good.
This is how it went...
Pull up to the traffic lights, put the car into neutral and apply the hand break
Then on the green signal dip the clutch engage 1st and release the clutch to set off. No need to release the hand break manually, just set off.
Great...

Maybe BRISTLE HOUND will be able to advise on how a normal hand break works, if different from the above.... !!!!

Martin

Red 2
14-05-2009, 09:47 PM
On my humble '08 B8, the Hill Hold cannot be activated with the engine off and decativates as soon as the engine is switched off...hence I would suspect why Hill Hold is not available with stop start.

The basic gear change indicator (see it is trumpeted as part of the eco kit)was I thought laughable ...until I found myself following it with unhealthy interest after a few months...:biglaugh: Found myself each morning seeing the max mpg I could get...very sad but true.

First step I guess on the gradual road to the hybrids, see they are due with the new A3.

tlionhart
15-05-2009, 05:41 PM
i beat you to it with a post on the A3 thread :p

Btw that dash unit is going to be the new A3's. :)