PDA

View Full Version : 2000 1.8t octavia SLX ..good/bad buy??

gbrad2x
14-05-2009, 03:38 PM
Hi Guys

Was looking at buying a 2000 1.8t octy to have as a second car basically so I can knock a bit of fun out of it and in time maybe fit a K04 some day :p

Is 110k alot of miles for the 1.8t? I drove the car and all was well it seemed, acceleration was excellent with no knocks Engine was very refined although I noticed the coolant was low and there appeared to be a bit of oil around the engine cover....The guy is looking for 2k euro for the car. No service history though.... Good deal for a 00 octy 1.8t slx with 110k miles? :confused:

What should I be watching for engine wise on the 1.8t , are there any tell tale signs?Dont want to buy a lemon and have to then fork out a small fortune....

Gerry

sr-performance
14-05-2009, 07:30 PM
Hiya Gerry,
can you take it to a garage that you use and have them check it over?
if he want's a sale he shouldn't have a problem with you doing that..

steve

gbrad2x
14-05-2009, 08:40 PM
I guess I could mate but thats alot of hastle, If I knew a bit more about the engine id be sorted.

... I'm not too familiar with the 1.8ts or the Octavia and am basically just wondering what to watch out for on this car/engine

Is 2k euro a decent price for the SLX model with 110k miles ?

Id be interested in hearing from anybody with this model in around 2000 in the 1.8t variant..... Do they have the ko3 or k03s turbo?

Thanks in advance
Gerry

Crasher
14-05-2009, 08:49 PM
Oil pressure. I bought my 2003 VRS with a ragged engine due to the infamous blocked oil pick up. First job, drop the sump and clean it out. If it is clogged up, remove the cam cover and scrub it clean and wash down as much dirt as possible with degreaser. If necessary, run the engine on flushing oil and you may even cause the oil pick up to get blocked doing this. Oil changes on an old 1.8T have to be treated with caution or it is goodbye engine and turbo. Only use a genuine VAG 2 year oil filter and use the most expensive oil you can get, I fitted a genuine VAG exchange engine and turbo so I use Quantum Longlife 3 and change it every six months or 6K miles.

paul b
14-05-2009, 11:13 PM
Crasher will tell you all about the 1.8T, what he doesn't know about them isn't worth knowing.

I have a 2000 Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDI SLX, I bought it broken for £620 44k miles, a new turbo, VRS back box and a timing belt snap later I've ended up spending about £1,200 and it is now perfect (barring a slightly annoying warm start problem, but that's another thread when I get round to it). All the problems were caused by awful misdiagnosis at the garage where the previous owner had put it in, these cars really are very strong and durable that's why many of them are taxis. :D

The SLX is well kitted out, mine has the Climatronic, 4x electric windows, mpg computer and electric mirrors. But I've added to that. ;)

gbrad2x
15-05-2009, 09:47 AM
Thanks guys you have been very informative as per usual :beerchug:

SO 2000 euro for a 1.8 t octy slx with 110k miles is a tad high asking price what do you think....? Has mad the major sercive done according to the guy selling.

Mite just ask to have it brought to the garage for a good once over inspection before I take the jump

paul b
15-05-2009, 03:29 PM
Thanks guys you have been very informative as per usual :beerchug:

SO 2000 euro for a 1.8 t octy slx with 110k miles is a tad high asking price what do you think....? Has mad the major sercive done according to the guy selling.

Mite just ask to have it brought to the garage for a good once over inspection before I take the jump
Maybe knock him down a couple of hundred quid. Especially if you plan to bring it over to Britain...

gbrad2x
15-05-2009, 03:41 PM
Especially if you plan to bring it over to Britain...

Im Irish so Itl be staying on the good aul bumpy roads of Ireland if I do buy it :D

Cheers,
Gerry